Jun 22, 2004
✟24,137.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Anyone who knows anything about physics knows that this machine is perfectly safe. I've spoken with several of the people mentioned in this article and even they, with their flawed physics, admit the risks are still very very minimal.

I've studied it, it's safe.
Nice, safe play; if your wrong, no one will be around to say "I told you so!"

Upvote 0

Site Supporter
May 26, 2004
Cape Breton
✟740,518.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Anyone who knows anything about physics knows that this machine is perfectly safe. I've spoken with several of the people mentioned in this article and even they, with their flawed physics, admit the risks are still very very minimal.

I've studied it, it's safe.
Minimal, not zero. And to perform an experiment means you necessarly don't know what the outcome will be. I wouldn't be concerned except that we have been listening to the cosmos for decades now and haven't heard a peep from another advanced civilization. Why? Astronomers are discovering new solar systems all the time in our neighborhood. Planets are common. Even if the chances of a stellar system producing life were one in a million there would be 100,000 in this galaxy alone. None that evolved into what we call intelligent life? But nope, silence. Heck life could possibly have evolved intelligence on this world 60 million years ago if the asteroid hadn't hit it. If we had that capacity, were we the first? Many galaxies within 60 million light years. Not a peep. Even if they use some different means of transmitting communication now they would have started with radio. What else is there? So we'd hear their thousand year old transmissions if they are a thousand light years away, or the million year old ones if a million years away.

Vast universe. Empty.

I think every civilization evolves and reaches a point of experimentation (experimenting is what civilizations that evolve technologically do) where they perform one experiment too many. And that's the end of them.

Otherwise I think the the habitable planets of the whole galaxy would have been colonized by some other race millions of years ago. Excluding science fiction, it only takes 100,000 years at the speed of light to travel from one side of the galaxy to the other. An expanding species could accomplish that in a few million years.

But there's silence. And we exist.

Upvote 0
C

Cognitive

Minimal, not zero. And to perform an experiment means you necessarly don't know what the outcome will be. I wouldn't be concerned except that we have been listening to the cosmos for decades now and haven't heard a peep from another advanced civilization. Why? Astronomers are discovering new solar systems all the time in our neighborhood. Planets are common. Even if the chances of a stellar system producing life were one in a million there would be 100,000 in this galaxy alone. None that evolved into what we call intelligent life? But nope, silence. Heck life could possibly have evolved intelligence on this world 60 million years ago if the asteroid hadn't hit it. If we had that capacity, were we the first? Many galaxies within 60 million light years. Not a peep. Even if they use some different means of transmitting communication now they would have started with radio. What else is there? So we'd hear their thousand year old transmissions if they are a thousand light years away, or the million year old ones if a million years away.

Vast universe. Empty.

I think every civilization evolves and reaches a point of experimentation (experimenting is what civilizations that evolve technologically do) where they perform one experiment too many. And that's the end of them.

Otherwise I think the the habitable planets of the whole galaxy would have been colonized by some other race millions of years ago. Excluding science fiction, it only takes 100,000 years at the speed of light to travel from one side of the galaxy to the other. An expanding species could accomplish that in a few million years.

But there's silence. And we exist.
Nicely put, it seems that the further we as an evolved species explores we teeter on the edge of destruction. I'm willing to bet if there is or was any other intelligent life on the planet they will or have met a similar fate.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Site Supporter
May 26, 2004
Cape Breton
✟740,518.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Were more likely to nuke our selfs than for this machine to destroy us.
This is true. But its unlikely that all civilizations in the universe nuked themselves. War is us. Scientific advancement would be any technological civilization.

Heck, maybe that's the gamma ray bursts we've been detecting since the 60's that occur all through the sky (as in not confined to the galaxy, pgp knows but just in case anyone else doesn't). Believed to be stars collapsing into black holes. What if it's planets being converted into strange matter?

Edit: I'm not saying any of this is likely, just possible. And if it's possible we should take it seriously if it affects the survival of the entire human race. What is the benefit of proving the existence of the Higgs boson particle anyway?

Upvote 0

Caitlin.ann

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2006
Indiana
✟30,277.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
This is true. But its unlikely that all civilizations in the universe nuked themselves. War is us. Scientific advancement would be any technological civilization.

Heck, maybe that's the gamma ray bursts we've been detecting since the 60's that occur all through the sky (as in not confined to the galaxy, pgp knows but just in case anyone else doesn't). Believed to be stars collapsing into black holes. What if it's planets being converted into strange matter?

Oh..gamma ray bursts are scary...according to my tv.

Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟393,880.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Oh..gamma ray bursts are scary...according to my tv.
Lets just say a close Gamma Ray Burst would make all the nukes going off at the same time in the same place look like a little cap gun's cap

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Caitlin.ann

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2006
Indiana
✟30,277.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Lets just say a close Gamma Ray Burst would make all the nukes going off at the same time in the same place look like a little cap gun's cap

Such is similar to what the tv told me. Kind of makes one want to freak out a bit in fear.

Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟393,880.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Such is similar to what the tv told me. Kind of makes one want to freak out a bit in fear.
Why ?
Why fear over something you have no control over ?

You're more likely to win each lotto for each state than be killed by a Gama Ray Burst.

Upvote 0