Bible vs. human evolution

Assyrian

Basically pulling an Obama (Thanks Calminian!)
Mar 31, 2006
Wales
✟27,286.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Actually, it is the Bible that determines what is good science. If it agrees with the Bible, it is good. If it contradicts the Bible, it is bad science. The problem is that so many people try to use a understanding of the Bible based on 100 year old outdated science. As Science learns and discovers more and more, then that helps us to better understand the Bible and the message God has for us.
Actually, throughout most of church history the approach was that if your interpretation is contradicted by science, then you interpretation is not what the word of God was saying, you need to go back to scripture, look again and try to get a better understanding. This was why the church rejected flat earth teaching of Cosmas Indicopleustes, though he claimed the bible contradicted the pagan Greek science of round earth, it is why the church (slowly) abandoned the literal interpretation of the geocentric passages when Copernicus, Galileo, Kepler and Newton showed how the earth went round the sun. This does not mean reading the latest science into scripture, which as you point out is bound to end up outdated itself, but to realise the passage was not actually discussing science at all.

Upvote 0

SonOfTheWest

Britpack
Sep 26, 2010
United Kingdom
✟9,861.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Labour
Actually, throughout most of church history the approach was that if your interpretation is contradicted by science, then you interpretation is not what the word of God was saying, you need to go back to scripture, look again and try to get a better understanding. This was why the church rejected flat earth teaching of Cosmas Indicopleustes, though he claimed the bible contradicted the pagan Greek science of round earth, it is why the church (slowly) abandoned the literal interpretation of the geocentric passages when Copernicus, Galileo, Kepler and Newton showed how the earth went round the sun. This does not mean reading the latest science into scripture, which as you point out is bound to end up outdated itself, but to realise the passage was not actually discussing science at all.

I've always found it depends on what subject you are talking about and the era in question. Atomism was heavily persecuted as an idea under Christianity. Something the Church was wrong about.

Upvote 0

Assyrian

Basically pulling an Obama (Thanks Calminian!)
Mar 31, 2006
Wales
✟27,286.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've always found it depends on what subject you are talking about and the era in question. Atomism was heavily persecuted as an idea under Christianity. Something the Church was wrong about.
Interesting. Was this specifically as a view of the nature of matter, or more as part of Epicurean philosophy? And when are you talking about the persecution?

Upvote 0

Susana

Sep 27, 2010
USA
✟15,130.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes, let's take the word of a convicted felon....:doh:

I simply said I like the way he put it.
He is a good man and I have nothing bad to say about him. He is for God not against him.
[I have been so busy moving to a bigger place I have not been able to come here.]

Upvote 0

Jase

Feb 20, 2003
✟10,432.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Democrat
I simply said I like the way he put it.
He is a good man and I have nothing bad to say about him. He is for God not against him.
[I have been so busy moving to a bigger place I have not been able to come here.]
You must have a different interpretation of "good man". Intentionally deceiving people and stealing money is not what I call "good".

Upvote 0

Harry3142

Apr 9, 2006
Ohio
✟20,229.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I myself am an Old Earth Creationist. I believe that God has created various species of flora and fauna over the eons since our presentday universe began. Those flora and fauna that were deemed useful by God continued to exist. Those that were no longer necessary to his molding of this planet, or had become detrimental to his ongoing plans, were extincted.

As for Man, the evolutionists run into a problem when they deal with his specie in evolutionary terms. They claim that the progressive stages of evolution have led to 'the supreme animal'. If that's the case they 'blew it big time'. The expression 'top of the food chain' may apply to Man, but only if he's standing in the middle of a supermarket. Out in the natural world where Man was supposed to have originated, he's part of that food chain. And his level on that 'chain' is almost at the bottom, not the top.

There are very few animal species which we can overpower barehanded. Either they are too fast for us, or their natural defenses are so much better than ours that they can easily fend us off, inflicting serious injury on us while merely being made angry in return. Plus there are a number of species that when hunting see us as the prey animal, and either singly or in pairs, packs, or herds can easily accomplish our transformation from Man to Entree. It is only through proper preparation, training, and tools that we hold our own in the natural world.

We are truly unique in that we are the only animal which quite literally cannot survive anywhere on the face of this planet without the direct or indirect use of tools. Other species are known to use tools when the occasion calls for it, but we need them at all times. Should all the tools on this planet disappear, as well as the ability to make other tools to replace them, how long do you think any of us could survive, much less flourish? I'd say less than one year.

So we need to ask ourselves, "If there is no Supreme Being directing the environment surrounding us, as well as instilling in us the knowledge that he does in fact exist and is in control, and therefore to be obeyed by us, then why are we still alive?" Are we to attribute our survival to an evolutionary 'crapshoot' which eventually will roll a 'snake eyes' and 'erase' our entire specie? I think not.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

UpperEschelon

Sep 8, 2010
✟7,943.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Yes, tax evasion and preaching the gospel are basically the same thing. :doh:

Paul was considered a convicted felon because he was preaching the gospel. That was the extent of the example he presented really, someone's tax evasion is irrelevant.

Upvote 0

TheyShallExpel

Nothing at all
May 19, 2007
Wicklow
Visit site
✟15,246.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Fortunately it isn't the general population who gets to decide what is good science and what isn't, it is scientists working in those sciences, who know what the evidence is and understand it.
I agree insofar as the general population is concerned - scientifically that is. I am also more interested in good science. The issue I have is that there is less good science or even logical science "supplied" or understood correctly by the general population. This is specifically perpetrated by scientists working in those sciences that in the first instance filter the information through their worldview then provide the information.
An undeviating fallacy… The evolutionist uses a false form of circular reasoning to “prove” that he is correct. First, he starts with the assumption that he is correct, by faith. Second, he goes to the other side of the circle, digs up fossils from different places around the world and arranges them in the order he “wants” them to be in. Last, he goes back around the circle and says, “You see, the fossils prove that I am right.” This logic is patently illogical.
When the Greeks developed the science of logic 2,500 years ago, they called this kind of reasoning a tautology; that it was circular reasoning that falls under its own weight, that it was patently illogical. If you allow me to rearrange the evidence I can prove anything I want to, can’t I? You cannot rearrange the evidence and then claim proof for anything!
If you remember little else from this reply remember this! One of the single greatest differences between a creation-believing scientist and an evolution-believing scientist is that the creationist does not rearrange his evidence and the evolutionist does!
The USA isn't the best example, it is way down there with Turkey when it comes to public acceptance of evolution.
Hmmm… I agree it also falls under its own weight. Is this a better example? If you remove Turkey, the EU has about 410 Million people. If you add Turkey to the USA and Canada (which has a 60% creationist worldview) you have about 410 Million people.
Ireland is what, 68% or something like that?
What’s your point exactly – Ireland is mostly secular humanists and pagans but you don’t say that. There is no such thing as a spiritual vacuum.
Or the better educated people are, the better they are at evaluating the evidence.
WHAT EVIDENCE!?
How do proteins and sugars change how similar chimp and ape DNA is? If you want a good overview of the question from a creationist have a look at Todd Wood's blog
I never said chimp and ape DNA was similar – where did you get that from? We as yet DO NOT have a completed genome for either species which has a lot to do with why human and ape DNA cannot be compared.
You are talking about a process that arose in the some of the earliest forms of life on earth, which we have no information about and no fossil evidence, not that fossils preserve biochemical processes anyway. So you are trying to use as evidence against evolution something we would not know about whether evolution is true or not. Not that great an argument.
Are you seriously arguing that you have no evidence for the evidence? That’s like saying “I don’t know what I don’t know.”
My argument is sound because you are stuck with irreducible complexity and are back to the chicken or egg conundrum invented by evolution. Once again we are back to tautology or circular reasoning flaunted as science – we do know because one COULD NOT form without the other.
Stripping of information?
Yes, if you were to use the whole DNA - and the outcome of it’s production, you would find that the gap in information is colossal.
Is that a direct quote from Darwin? It does not sound like him.
Try this from Darwin then… "To suppose that the eye with all its inimitable contrivances for adjusting the focus to different distances, for admitting different amounts of light, and for the correction of spherical and chromatic aberration, could have been formed by natural selection seems, I freely confess, absurd in the highest degree."
Charles Darwin, The Origin of Species, J. M. Dent & Sons Ltd, London, 1971, p. 167.
Does a snowflake contradict the second law of thermodynamics? They spontaneously organise themselves into all sorts of marvelous and complicated shapes. Don't believe what creationist websites tell you about the second law of thermodynamics. It does not contradict evolution.
For Pete’s Sake!! I let it go the first time you posted it because I actually thought you were joking! The more than verifiable answer is that water has a structure and furthermore a pliable memory. It takes on the properties of its container and “remembers” these properties. However, upon evaporation it loses those properties and returns to its energised state. It also reacts directly to ALL outside influence and as such, upon freezing forms those marvellous shapes because of this influence. If I played rock music to the water it would have an extremely erratic and disturbing “shape” on freezing. If I play it Bach it has a pleasing “shape” not unlike the snowflake. This does not discount crystallization which is also a common considerate. An interesting documentary that may help you understand is called appropriately H2O.
Furthermore, we have never seen a complex system built or assembled by random chance. (Particularly from a snowflake!) Mutations are harmful and produce negative outcomes. Mutations are the result of the “bondage to decay.” The evolutionists’ beliefs are illogical, irrational, unreasonable and not based on observable or verifiable evidence.
And by the way… Don’t quote Mr. Rennie again If there is anyone here that does not understand the Laws of Thermodynamics, it is Mr. Rennie! Frankly, his argument is irrelevant and poorly reasoned. What’s more a snowflake has NO meaningful information in terms of letters; a snowflake is analogous to ABCABCABCABCABC…
You tell me. You were born with about 120 to 180 single point mutations, letters in you DNA code that are different from either of your parents, AAGCTTA instead of AAGCCTA for example. Every one of us was born with these pieces of new genetic code. Is this extra information? Is that a problem?
I agree only this far…
1. I was too simplistic and deserved that retort.
2. Some changes do confer an advantage in some situations.
3. I am born with these mutations.
BUT as stated; Mutations are harmful and produce negative outcomes. Mutations are the result of the “bondage to decay.” The evolutionists’ beliefs are illogical, irrational, unreasonable and not based on observable or verifiable evidence.
AND; ONCE AGAIN the bold truth is that we have yet to find a mutation that increases genetic information, even in those rare instances where the mutation confers an advantage. Only by ignoring the total implications of modern genetics has it been possible to maintain the fiction of evolution. You see biologists have discovered a whole range of mechanisms that can cause radical changes in the amount of DNA possessed by an organism. Gene duplication, polyploidy, insertions, etc., DO NOT HELP EXPLAIN evolution, however. They represent an increase in amount of DNA, but not an increase in the amount of functional genetic information—these mechanisms create nothing new. Macroevolution needs new genes (for making feathers on reptiles, for example), yet evolutionists continue to completely miss this simple distinction.
You also neglect to mention that The SRC gene family is among the most notorious genes known to man, since they cause cancer as a consequence of single point mutations.
So… you tell me. Is this really extra information? Is that a problem?
Speaking of reading Romans, I suggest you need to read it again and see if Paul is actually writing about evolution. Perhaps you read it and think ' oh that really applies to evolution', it doesn't mean it is what he talking about. Have a look at what Paul is actually saying rather than what it means to you.
Simply stated, he is. I am strictly exegesis and Pauls handle on the Greek language was excellent. Any good lexicon will put you right should you bother.

Upvote 0
D

dies-l

Paul was considered a convicted felon because he was preaching the gospel. That was the extent of the example he presented really, someone's tax evasion is irrelevant.

Tax evasion is essentially fraud. Fraud is, by definition, dishonesty. People who commit fraud are liars. Whether someone is a known liar is inherently relevant to whether their opinion is worthy of serious consideration. So, yes I do think the fact that Hovind has been convicted of tax evasion is relevant to whether his research can be trusted. He has a person who has shown that he will manipulate the truth in order to achieve a desired result. If he would do this to avoid paying taxes, why should we think that he would not do this to promote his religious and political agenda?

Upvote 0

UpperEschelon

Sep 8, 2010
✟7,943.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Tax evasion is essentially fraud. Fraud is, by definition, dishonesty. People who commit fraud are liars. Whether someone is a known liar is inherently relevant to whether their opinion is worthy of serious consideration. So, yes I do think the fact that Hovind has been convicted of tax evasion is relevant to whether his research can be trusted. He has a person who has shown that he will manipulate the truth in order to achieve a desired result. If he would do this to avoid paying taxes, why should we think that he would not do this to promote his religious and political agenda?

I understand the crime of tax fraud, and I do not support nor particularly like Hovind, so that isn't the issue. I was just commenting on what goodbrother had sais concerning Paul being behind bars. But if he was attempting to use it to defend Hovind's case, I retract my comment...lol

Upvote 0

dana3262

Jun 24, 2007
✟7,952.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Regardless of what Hovind is or isn't his message is legit and raises proofs that cannot be debunked in any way shape or form. What Hovind is or isn't is irrelevant in its entirety as the evidence he has presented is legit.
I have my opinion about Hovind but I will keep that to myself. You would be hard pressed to debunk everything Hovid has presented!

As much as evolutionists like to say the big bang has nothing to do with evolution, you cant have one theory without the other, they are interdependent on each other for each to work out. Anyone who cant see that is a fool.

Evolution is the biggest lie, only atheistic scientists wont admit it because they have no other theory to replace it with. If they admit its a load then must admit the existence of God which they are not prepared to do under any circumstances.

People can believe what they like and I have no intention of changing anyones mind, people need to work this stuff out for themselves.

I used to think evolution was 100% true as its what I was taught in school and I was as atheistic as anyone, however, after doing my own research I concluded its a very poor hypothesis at best. Its full of holes and these holes are covered up by attacks against theists and fancy footwork to avoid the subject of these holes.

Atheists constantly say we Creationists can't answer direct questions, that's calling the kettle black in my opinion.

There's a ton of legit researchers out there that have evidence for creation, Its just they get labeled as "kooks" and such and attacked. See rather than debunking the creationists message they attack the messenger because they cant debunk it and those that think they can are so far gone (brainwashed) its pointless talking to them.

atheists see us creationists as brainwashed however its actually the other way around, they are the brainwashed drones not us!

It took years for me to complete my own personal research into evolution, the possibility of the existence of God etc, it also took years to undo the mental conditioning society had inflicted upon me as a child/teenager living a secular life.
There's no "quick fix" answer to prove any of it either way, it takes a lot of time and dedication to discover the truth for oneself.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SonOfTheWest

Britpack
Sep 26, 2010
United Kingdom
✟9,861.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Labour
As much as evolutionists like to say the big bang has nothing to do with evolution, you cant have one theory without the other, they are interdependent on each other for each to work out. Anyone who cant see that is a fool.

As God said, calling others a fool is tempting hellfire. Also, the BBT and the ToE have nothing to do with each other in so far as without the universe you don't have any potential for life to arise on planet..or planets or solar systems,etc for that matter. That is the only connection.

Evolution is the biggest lie, only atheistic scientists wont admit it because they have no other theory to replace it with. If they admit its a load then must admit the existence of God which they are not prepared to do under any circumstances.

Without ToE huge amounts of not all of modern biology and the advancement of medical technology exists. Seeing as how millions of Christians have no problem with evolution this sounds much more like a personal issue than a metaphysical one. Also science is grounded in naturalism and makes no statements about supernaturalism.

People can believe what they like and I have no intention of changing anyones mind, people need to work this stuff out for themselves.

If that was true you wouldn't have made the post.

I used to think evolution was 100% true as its what I was taught in school and I was as atheistic as anyone, however, after doing my own research I concluded its a very poor hypothesis at best. Its full of holes and these holes are covered up by attacks against theists and fancy footwork to avoid the subject of these holes.

The personal anecdotes of a non scientist means what now?

Atheists constantly say we Creationists can't answer direct questions, that's calling the kettle black in my opinion.

I'm a Christian and I say Creationists can't answer questions about creationism with facts.

There's a ton of legit researchers out there that have evidence for creation, Its just they get labeled as "kooks" and such and attacked. See rather than debunking the creationists message they attack the messenger because they cant debunk it and those that think they can are so far gone (brainwashed) its pointless talking to them.

Yes truly it is one big conspiracy by boards of education, scientists, reality itself and the judicial systems that is acting as The Man, keeping Creationism in it's place.

Upvote 0

laconicstudent

Sep 25, 2009
✟16,224.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Regardless of what Hovind is or isn't his message is legit and raises proofs that cannot be debunked in any way shape or form. What Hovind is or isn't is irrelevant in its entirety as the evidence he has presented is legit.

Where? And by the way this had best be actual evidence, not PRATTs.

I have my opinion about Hovind but I will keep that to myself. You would be hard pressed to debunk everything Hovid has presented!

Yes, well, most scientists have better things to do than waste their time debunking the fallacious arguments of a criminal.

No, I don't know how you managed to confuse the fields of cosmology and biology, but you are completely wrong.

What about the Christian scientists who do evolutionary research?

Hopefully they also get an education to help them.

Yay, person with zero experience in the scientific method has done research.

Please link your abstracts.

Because you don't. Do you understand what the word "empirical" means?

There's a ton of legit researchers out there that have evidence for creation,

Please link the abstracts.

Its just they get labeled as "kooks" and such and attacked.

Yes, in science, there is this value called "objectivity", it means that no one is dogmatically forced to adhere to a particular view. Therefore, when a Creationist comes along, their "work" is dissected and dismissed with rightful contempt. This is how science works.

See rather than debunking the creationists message they attack the messenger

Because the message has been debunked ad naseum. People don't have some God-given right to continue being stupid with an expectation of being given serious consideration.

because they cant debunk it

No, they usually have already done so. Usually decades to a century ago.

and those that think they can are so far gone (brainwashed) its pointless talking to them.

No, its called contempt, not brainwashing.

atheists see us creationists as brainwashed however its actually the other way around, they are the brainwashed drones not us!

Then why can can't Creationists ever discuss actual scientific research?

It took years for me to complete my own personal research into evolution,

Can you give us the abstract already?

the possibility of the existence of God etc,

Scientific error.

it also took years to undo the mental conditioning society had inflicted upon me as a child/teenager living a secular life.
There's no "quick fix" answer to prove any of it either way, it takes a lot of time and dedication to discover the truth for oneself.

I agree. That is why buildings like the Creation Museum need to go.

Upvote 0

dana3262

Jun 24, 2007
✟7,952.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Jesus Christ was considered a criminal by many also, does that mean he should be disregarded? He was punished like a criminal, treated like a criminal. dies like a criminal yet......(figure it out for yourself)

I have no intention of convincing anyone of anything, I was merely stating my opinion. Hence, I wont be getting into it.

My one bit of advice I will give though is this: Do not believe all you read, do not believe all you hear and do not believe all you are told.

Research things for yourself, go to sources that go against your own biases and opinions and consider them, contemplate them heavily, don't just go to sources that confirm your biases.
Society is full of conspiracies, bias and propaganda, be very aware of this fact to sift the truth from the lies(intentional or not is irrelevant).

I done a full 180 in my view of life, I was a atheist, just like Dawkins (who I admired and respected a great deal), now I'm a Creationist.

God does speak to us, only not in the way you may expect.

Upvote 0

laconicstudent

Sep 25, 2009
✟16,224.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Jesus Christ was considered a criminal by many also, does that mean he should be disregarded? He was punished like a criminal, treated like a criminal. dies like a criminal yet......(figure it out for yourself)

Comparing Kent Hovind to Jesus Christ is absolutely absurd. Kent Hovind committed tax fraud. Jesus Christ was God.

I have no intention of convincing anyone of anything, I was merely stating my opinion. Hence, I wont be getting into it.

I see. :cool:

My one bit of advice I will give though is this: Do not believe all you read, do not believe all you hear and do not believe all you are told.

Precisely why I stopped believing YEC.

Research things for yourself, go to sources that go against your own biases and opinions and consider them, contemplate them heavily, don't just go to sources that confirm your biases.
Society is full of conspiracies, bias and propaganda, be very aware of this fact to sift the truth from the lies(intentional or not is irrelevant).

I do read things for myself. Having institutional subscriptions to research periodicals is fun.

I done a full 180 in my view of life, I was a atheist, just like Dawkins (who I admired and respected a great deal), now I'm a Creationist.

God does speak to us, only not in the way you may expect.

I find it interesting, and mildly disturbing, that you consider a 180 degree turn from an Atheist to be a Creationist, not a Christian.

Upvote 0