Visit site
✟3,170.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
ischus said:
ok... here is a hard one:

What controversial Old Testament passage speaks of a child spitting food out of his mouth?

(Clues are given in red letters)
Additional hints:

1) The first set of letters is the scrambled letters of the prophet's name in whose book this verse is found. (Letters can be used more than once).

2) The underlined letters spell the Hebrew word, "almah" (also spelled 'alma').
This is the key word in the text which has made it so controversial (especially the way the RSV translated it). The next verse after the 'almah verse' is the one which speaks about a child spitting food out of his mouth (although I think that most translators are rather "evil" in the way they render this verse).

3) "God be with you" as you search for the answer. ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ischus

ΙΣΧΥΣ ΚΑΙ ΤΙΜΗ
Mar 13, 2004
Visit site
✟3,170.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You got it !!!

I hope my hermeneutics didn't throw you off ;)...

Explanation:

Alma means "young woman" as the RSV translates it in Isa.7:14, although they took a lot of heat for this since they did not translate it as "virgin" like everyone else did. The word translated as "evil" (v15) in most english versions is not a very good rendering, since it is in reference to the young child (the one born from the alma) either accepting or rejecting food that his mother gives him (which is why he would obviously spit some bad-tasting or "evil" foods out of his mouth as all children do). finally, the reference to God being with you was of course talking about the child's name, Immanuel: "God with us."

Anyway, you are correct ChrisB.

Go ahead with your questions :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ischus

ΙΣΧΥΣ ΚΑΙ ΤΙΜΗ
Mar 13, 2004
Visit site
✟3,170.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
ok :)

2 Kings 25:1-7 tells the sad story of the end of Zedekiah's reign. BUT before these things ever came about the people had already seen these events acted out before them.

Name the person and post the scriptures that show how this was possible.

Reactions: dsdumpling
Upvote 0

ChrisB

Jan 28, 2004
✟16,919.00
Faith
Protestant
Sorry guys I've been away for a couple of days - here's my two questions

1. Who was appointed by God to make the items used in the Tabernacle while the Israelites were wandering in the desert? (NIV)

2. Whose greed resulted in him catching leprosy? (NIV)

I'll take a look at ischus' question while I'm waiting for answers :D

Upvote 0

ChrisB

Jan 28, 2004
✟16,919.00
Faith
Protestant
ischus said:
ok :)

2 Kings 25:1-7 tells the sad story of the end of Zedekiah's reign. BUT before these things ever came about the people had already seen these events acted out before them.

Name the person and post the scriptures that show how this was possible.

A gruesome story this

2 Kings 25
1 So in the ninth year of Zedekiah's reign, on the tenth day of the tenth month, Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon marched against Jerusalem with his whole army. He encamped outside the city and built siege works all around it. 2 The city was kept under siege until the eleventh year of King Zedekiah. 3 By the ninth day of the fourth month the famine in the city had become so severe that there was no food for the people to eat. 4 Then the city wall was broken through, and the whole army fled at night through the gate between the two walls near the king's garden, though the Babylonians were surrounding the city. They fled toward the Arabah, 5 but the Babylonian army pursued the king and overtook him in the plains of Jericho. All his soldiers were separated from him and scattered, 6 and he was captured. He was taken to the king of Babylon at Riblah, where sentence was pronounced on him. 7 They killed the sons of Zedekiah before his eyes. Then they put out his eyes, bound him with bronze shackles and took him to Babylon.

This was foretold by both Jeremiah and Ezekiel but it was Ezekiel who dramatised it thus

Ezekiel 12

1 The word of the LORD came to me: 2 "Son of man, you are living among a rebellious people. They have eyes to see but do not see and ears to hear but do not hear, for they are a rebellious people.
3 "Therefore, son of man, pack your belongings for exile and in the daytime, as they watch, set out and go from where you are to another place. Perhaps they will understand, though they are a rebellious house. 4 During the daytime, while they watch, bring out your belongings packed for exile. Then in the evening, while they are watching, go out like those who go into exile. 5 While they watch, dig through the wall and take your belongings out through it. 6 Put them on your shoulder as they are watching and carry them out at dusk. Cover your face so that you cannot see the land, for I have made you a sign to the house of Israel."
7 So I did as I was commanded. During the day I brought out my things packed for exile. Then in the evening I dug through the wall with my hands. I took my belongings out at dusk, carrying them on my shoulders while they watched.

I have put the most significant parts of the passage in bold. The digging of a hole in the wall parallels the breach of the gate, the taking out of Ezekiels belongings refers to the exile and the covering of his eyes signifies Zedekiah's blinding. Jeremiah also foretold these events but it was Ezekiel who, as usual, dramatised them for the people.

Upvote 0

dsdumpling

Oct 29, 2003
Slower, lower Delaware USA
✟9,485.00
Faith
Methodist
ChrisB said:
1. Who was appointed by God to make the items used in the Tabernacle while the Israelites were wandering in the desert? (NIV)
Exodus 31

Bezalel and Oholiab

1 Then the LORD said to Moses, 2 "See, I have chosen Bezalel son of Uri, the son of Hur, of the tribe of Judah, 3 and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- 4 to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, 5 to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of craftsmanship. 6 Moreover, I have appointed Oholiab son of Ahisamach, of the tribe of Dan, to help him. Also I have given skill to all the craftsmen to make everything I have commanded you: 7 the Tent of Meeting, the ark of the Testimony with the atonement cover on it, and all the other furnishings of the tent- 8 the table and its articles, the pure gold lampstand and all its accessories, the altar of incense, 9 the altar of burnt offering and all its utensils, the basin with its stand- 10 and also the woven garments, both the sacred garments for Aaron the priest and the garments for his sons when they serve as priests, 11 and the anointing oil and fragrant incense for the Holy Place. They are to make them just as I commanded you."

ChrisB said:
2. Whose greed resulted in him catching leprosy? (NIV)
Gehazi
2 Kings 5
:23 "By all means, take two talents," said Naaman. He urged Gehazi to accept them, and then tied up the two talents of silver in two bags, with two sets of clothing. He gave them to two of his servants, and they carried them ahead of Gehazi. 24 When Gehazi came to the hill, he took the things from the servants and put them away in the house. He sent the men away and they left. 25 Then he went in and stood before his master Elisha.
"Where have you been, Gehazi?" Elisha asked.
"Your servant didn't go anywhere," Gehazi answered.
26 But Elisha said to him, "Was not my spirit with you when the man got down from his chariot to meet you? Is this the time to take money, or to accept clothes, olive groves, vineyards, flocks, herds, or menservants and maidservants? 27 Naaman's leprosy will cling to you and to your descendants forever." Then Gehazi went from Elisha's presence and he was leprous, as white as snow.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.