Jun 19, 2006
Montana
✟8,117.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Oh, So some of you guys havent heard about "The Bible Code"

Somebody was curious one day about the Bible. He wanted to fiddle around with it and put it in a word processor or whatever. So he does that, and he starts to look for codes in it. They do it by telling the program to put the words into a grid-system, which looks alot like a crossword puzzle. Then, they ask to the computer program to "Decode" it. The program looks for some key words, which the person puts in.

Supposedly, after making this "Groundbreak discovery", he started to find a whole buncha "Codes" in the Bible. They even went to far as to say that they found evidence of the bombings on the world trade center and other stuff like that. If ya google it, ya might get so information on it.

So, does anyone out there believe in the "Bible Code"?

Upvote 0

Faith In God

A little FIG is all we need...
Apr 3, 2004
Texas
✟36,560.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
The "Bible Code"?

The one "The Omega Code" (a movie) was based off of?

...I don't give it much merit...

You do that with pretty much anything and I think somewhere, somehow you'll find what you want. It's just so ambiguous...

Just personal opinion here...

Upvote 0

epy

Jun 16, 2006
✟15,391.00
Faith
Methodist
I have heard about it and watched some programs and such.

1. As I understand the concept, it is unique to the Bible. [EDIT: Posts below noted. Do consider their content.]

2. I think it is kind of cool that we can find a "hidden" meaning in a text that has so much clear meaning.

3. If it is to be treated as prophecy, then I assert that it will only be useful in hind sight.

4. Many of the word groupings found(at least that I heard of) were not complete or human understanding was insufficient.

5. I find the concept that God's word written thousands of years ago contains information to an unknown purpose unsettling, as are most unknowns. It could be warnings. It could be mere history. It could be the Devil's trap to distract people form the real meaning of the book.

6. I find it odd that the New Testament does not have this property. I have often considered that such is the case because nothing is to distract from the message of Christ.

7. Although all this is a nifty sideline, the primary meaning of the Bible should never take a back seat to this interesting discovery.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
tel0004 said:
Maybe its true, but I dont think so. I could probably open any book that big and maybe find the same pattern.
You can - there's a demonstration of it done from Moby Dick.

You can also find pretty much any message you want in the bible - including satanic ones -by the same method.

All it takes is too much time on your hands.

Upvote 0

RaddMadd

Veteran
Jun 21, 2006
ohio
✟14,223.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
ebia said:
You can - there's a demonstration of it done from Moby Dick.

You can also find pretty much any message you want in the bible - including satanic ones -by the same method.

All it takes is too much time on your hands.
yeah i seen a whole thing on the history channel about the bible code, i dont believe it. one of the reasons i dont is because of what you said about the book Moby Dick, that was on the history channel thing to.

Upvote 0

prophecystudent

Oct 10, 2005
✟1,313.00
Faith
Christian
It's nonsense. I spent years in the computer business, repairing, designing, etc and can tell you that with the right program you can make a computer do anything.

All it takes in this case is to search the "database" which is the text of the document being searched, combine random words, analyze the result of combining those random words and if it seems to make some type of logical statement then you have the "code" for that particular phrase or sentence.

Note, as I understand it, each of those "discoveries" has its own code. And yes, you can use any source document, like the bible, Moby Dick, Britannica, etc.

For those of you who use Microsoft Word, remember the built-in function that checks spelling and grammar? If what you type doesn't fit the rules of spelling and/or grammar the computer will flag it, and offer suggestions to fix it.

Do not lose any sleep of this "Code". It is phony.

Fred

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

heron

Legend
Mar 24, 2005
✟33,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
The research team didn't just involve computer technicians, but statisticians to analyze and compare probability. Even pushing probability aside, the odds don't disclude the possibility that God (or Moses) included messages with the text, or that Melville didn't put codes in Moby Dick.

Part of what makes the Torah unique for the code searching, is the format of spacing letters evenly in columns and rows, like a word search puzzle.

11-cross-lamp-balance-bible-code.gif

The ancient Hebrew language also has a simplicity that allows for variations, omitting vowels and allowing characters to represent many things.

I don't see the weakness as most people see it -- the crazy trendiness of it -- but that the letter combinations can mean so many things. A few letters can represent a number, or a name. But this also adds to the intrigue, because it leads to dual meanings.

The recent research wasn't groundbreaking, because others through the centuries had explored this manually. Obviously their speed could not compare.

I don't consider this issue something we need to prove or disprove at this point. Many books have been written, much high-end research has been done, and many people have gained from the insights. I feel that if God has hidden extra messages for people to appreciate within the texts, then those who appreciate them can enjoy them, and anyone else can go on with their lives.

I think it's a beautiful concept, our Father giving us more to explore and learn from.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums