Bible beginner Matthew the beatitudes

B

Be with God

Hi I havent been on this site for a very long time and I would just like to say I have always believed in god since I was little but I am trying to understand the word of god and I have started to read the bible so I can have a closer relationship with him. I have been reading Matthew and I would like some help from you to clarify what the beatitudes is about?

Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.
Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.
Blessed are those who hunger and thirst after righteousness,
for they will be filled.
Blessed are the merciful, for they shall be shown mercy.
Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called the sons of God.
Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

Please and thank you. if it makes any difference I am in my early 20s and im started to go to a college group at my church to be around people my own age that are going threw the same issues as me.

Thank you again for your help threw my journey with God

ezeric

HE loves me too.
Mar 2, 2010
Canada but really in JESUS! (in HIS Covenant)
Visit site
✟12,835.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Its the best thing to want to grow in JESUS!
You are on the right track!

The kingdom doesn't come to those that are rich in and of themselves. JESUS said the 'healthy don't need a physician'. The Kingdom doesn't come to those that are self sufficient, religious, but to the least/poorest.

HE is the GOD of all comfort, and when we mourn, over the wrongs we've done, the mess we made, HIS SPIRIT is Comfort! (to us) 2 Corinthians 1:3

Meek actually means 'teachable', and there is of course a measure of humility to be able to be taught anything. Want to gain? be teachable, especially by the SPIRIT who will lead you into ALL TRUTH (TRUTH is a person, JESUS who is TRUTH), so the SPIRIT leads us into ALL of JESUS - wonderful praise! see John 13:16

for they will be filled.
Isn't that how we get our physical desires met? We are thirsty, and will drive or walk anywhere to quench our thirst. JESUS is saying if you really want it, your thirsty, you are hungry, and really want it - you will be filled (satisfied) never longing for 'more', as you are well fed. Saints here, isn't' that what JESUS has done?
We are not looking for stuff (out there) as we are happy with HIM!

Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. Matthew 7:7 is talking about someone who is really asking, continually knocking - a child asking/demanding saying "Mom, what's for dinner?"

GOD now showers mercy and grace everywhere, but as HE has given you mercy (and HE has), now extend that mercy to others, and more mercy flows!
As you do to others, will be done to you. JESUS also put it this way: ""He who believes in Me, as the Scripture said, 'From his innermost being will flow rivers of living water.'" John 7:38

We only have a pure heart, when we (by faith) believe what JESUS has done, making us righteous, (not by anything we've done) but all because of JESUS.
That pure heart is living in that simple faith that sees only JESUS, not focused on myself, either how good I am or bad I am but how good HE is!
Live like this and you will see, feel, experience GOD! (some around me in our home fellowship here in Canada, have seen JESUS face to face in the natural)

JESUS is our Shalom (PEACE), (see Isaiah 9:6) and HE preached PEACE close by and PEACE afar. And if you operate in HIS PEACE, and let that PEACE rule your heart, that PEACE will come out and bring PEACE everywhere to everyone! You will be just like JESUS (the SON of GOD) and you will be Sons too! Because you're life matches HIS. Note: the Christian Life is about dying to self, dying to lies and living and learning (over time) to trust JESUS and do whatever HE says. HE then produces all the benefits or fruit of the SPIRIT i.e. "Love, Joy, Peace..."

Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
When you follow JESUS, and HE was persecuted, you will be too, but its part of the Kingdom Life, and the Kingdom is sooooo worth it!
Really the world may hate you, but its the church that will persecute you, as it did JESUS.
Why?
Because of righteousness.
Paul teaching that it is a Righteousness by faith (not anyone's effort). Romans 1:17
A Gift of Righteousness (so again a gift is not my doing again).
2nd Timothy 3:12

Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

Sure, they persecuted JESUS when they antagonized HIM and then had the audacity to claim they were Abraham's children (by birth they were) but they really weren't (spiritually, and that really is all that counts with GOD).
So, JESUS rebukes them and says they are illegitimate children, and their daddy is the devil.
Why?
They hate the true GOSPEL (Good News).
They want the control.
They want the money.
They want to own you, and can't let you go!
Let MY people GO! says the LORD
So JESUS tells them, you persecuted the prophets who came to tell you the truth (truth about ME, TRUTH is JESUS - TRUTH is a person remember).
They try to stop you from the freedom you have, of loving and living in the love of JESUS.
Nothing added, as HE becomes your "all in all".

Read John 8:31-58
Also read JESUS parable of the Land Owner (Landlord) in Matthew 21:33-45.

-eric

The Exchanged Life

Last edited:
Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi I havent been on this site for a very long time and I would just like to say I have always believed in god since I was little but I am trying to understand the word of god and I have started to read the bible so I can have a closer relationship with him. I have been reading Matthew and I would like some help from you to clarify what the beatitudes is about?

for they will be filled.

Please and thank you. if it makes any difference I am in my early 20s and im started to go to a college group at my church to be around people my own age that are going threw the same issues as me.

Hi BWG,

Well, from the top, here's what the Spirit has given me to understand about this message from the Lord.

1. Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

The proud and haughty need not apply. God honors a broken and contrite spirit in a man.

2. Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.

Those who mourn over the ways of the world and the great sin of refusing God the honor and praise that He deserves will find comfort in the eternal existence.

3. Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.

I always cringe when I hear 'christians' talking about standing up for their rights and opposing the governments of the world. It is those who allow that they are unimportant and lowly who will inherit the earth.

4. Blessed are those who hunger and thirst after righteousness,
for they will be filled.

This is probably, if one were to ask as the young man did of Jesus, "which is the most important"?, the one that is most important. If we develop a spirit that hungers and thirsts after righteousness we do well. When I was born again, some 15 years ago, that was my prayer. That my Father would give me an unquenchable thirst to know Him, His Son, His Spirit and His word. He has honored that request.

5. Blessed are the merciful, for they shall be shown mercy.

This, I believe, is pretty self explanatory. If you want to receive mercy, show mercy to others. If you want to receive forgiveness, show forgiveness to others.

6. Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.

This is what Jesus commended the disciple Andrew for. That there was no guile in him. His heart was pure. No pretensions; no falseness, no trying to be what he wasn't or lording over anyone. His heart was pure. His motives in all that he did, righteous.

7. Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called the sons of God.

Now, this one can be tough because a lot of people try to make the subject of this blessing out to be those involved in government, but I'm more inclined to beleive that Jesus is speaking of anyone who comes upon two or more people arguing or disagreeing and tries to make a reconciliation of peace between them. Even those who are disagreed with being able to accept that disagreement with a calm and peaceful demeanor. We should strive to be peaceful in all that we do and all that we say. It's a tough one!

8. Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Please keep in mind that this speaks of those 'persecuted because of righteousness', not just those who are persecuted. Just as the last one, what we are persecuted for is very important.

9. Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

Again, this must be insults and persecution brought on because of your stand for Jesus. And he reminds us that we can look and see how Israel treated the prophets of God and expect the same thing. The last two blessings actually brings the greatest reward. They promise that they will receive their rewards in the kingdom of heaven. They will be saved! Praise God!!!

I encourage you to read all of the Scriptures. They are such a marvelous window through which we may truly find God and the way of His salvation.

God bless you.
In Christ, Ted

Upvote 0
Oct 7, 2005
✟2,829.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
As Jesus is a living spiritual partner who has the positive fruits in our hearts, protection and wisdom are supernaturally switched on when you focus your faith on Jesus Christ who sacrificed his life for justice and peace here on Earth, as well as our future-coming Christ-transformed Earth where there will be no ocean or sea - meaning, that there will be no more weather and environmental disasters as we socialize in perfect peace and health inside God's futuristic accommodation-free city: Kingdom of God .;*;. Rev21:2 .;*;.
Futuristic is a word I chose to describe the mysterious secrets of his kingdom where the ultimate best of green energy technology has been reached since God knows our past, present and future progress of our transforming civilization, our green clean future experience with new ideas and inventions to fight global warming has just started the race.
As for God's kingdom, clever-minded non-Christians should accept Jesus spiritually in their hearts to feel the cleanliness and healthiness of the future-coming city where bad bacteria and viruses, not even dust, will be present inside his holy environment - when you consider that disease especially bacteria-causing body odor has no power inside God's protective kingdom.
I believe we won't need showers, baths or washing machines to keep our Christ-transformed bodies and clothes clean.
Failure and clumsiness such as car accidents, tripping over obstacles, forgetting where you last put your mobile phone, failing school exams are negative memory experiences that will most probably be with our new Christ-transformed minds, but our future new experiences inside God's kingdom would be naturally so perfect where failure and clumsiness cannot escape God's gift to know our future actions .;*;.

:liturgy:

Upvote 0

PureDose

Pinball Wizard
Sep 18, 2012
✟850.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is about a lot, but some short answers for starters... below in blue.

If you take the lowest seat and take humble views of matters, yours will be the Kingdom of God. Do not, for instance, look at everyone else as inferior and yourself as being someone who is above learning or error because you are already "perfect", because that just means you are above being teachable.

God will sort out all matters so it is clearly evident He is good beyond our wildest imaginings.

Those who are arrogant, mean, prideful will not inherit the earth. They may get adjusted, but that means they become meek. The world will one day be a peaceful place where people actually treat each other right and nicely.

for they will be filled.

It is painful to hunger and thirst to be righteous, but if that is truly what you are hungering for believe for sure that you will find it.

That is quite a different place then going, "Oh I am righteous so sue me".

Or "I am might so what I do is right, get out of the way or get mown down."

Those who do not condemn are not condemn, do not judge are not judged. Be merciful in one's heart and then one will be merciful in one's words and deeds. Be merciful and quick to forgive. Be merciful in judging others. Strive towards being non-judgmental, open minded, open hearted... as opposed to being judgmental, closed minded, and closed hearted.

Do not throw people away or dismiss them as fools, do not despise them. Do not assume you and your little group are all that is right and everyone else should just go to hell forever and ever.

Seeing God more and more is true knowledge, and where true wonderment and true praise comes from. It is true joy and true awesomeness.

But those whose eyes have so long looked into the darkness, they can not open them for they have put themselves in as a cave.

The holy angels go into the cave and are shining light, but the light blinds them even more, and they strike out at them only to be hurt their own selves by doing so.

Strive to make peace with people quickly, before they go and turn you over for judgment... do not assume it is their fault. Or you are right. Look at how you may be wrong.

When you are being judged wickedly by people for your righteousness, like how Cain judged Abel, it is a good reminder that you are being judged because you are blessed above them and are of the Kingdom. Not of the mud world of sin and darkness.

Same thing as above, only more clearly.

End quote.

Upvote 0

Ark100

The Lord is my Refuge
Mar 11, 2012
✟17,921.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private

Those that are poor in spirit are those who have or are going through tough times. You know how some people always wonder why good things always come to bad people? Those people who serve God diligently but always still go through hard times? Those are the poor in Spirit. They feel broken, they feel hurt, they wonder why some things happen to them despite how faithful they are.

Mourning is simply what is inferred here. Mourning can be of various forms, Mourning for loss, for so many things that cause pain and hurt to the person. Again its talking about those who do the will of God and are for Him but who go through these processes.

Jesus was meek to death. Being meek is being obedient, submissive, unresisting even in the face of adversities and so many turmoils. Obedience is better than sacrifice. Those who are obedient to the Lord, submissive unresisting and follow in His will will inherit the earth.

for they will be filled.

Hunger for GOD. I have heard where some people (on here and off the forum) advise others against thirsting and hungering for God or for the fruits of the Spirit. I always wonder what those people are thinking before saying those things.
God wants us to HUNGER for Him. The Kind of HUNGER those men in the ancient days who were very passionate for God had.
Hunger to know God, To do His will, to obey Him, to follow in HIS commands and so on.
King David is a very good example of a man who truly HUNGERED for God.

Those who are merciful to others will be shown mercy by God.

Staying pure in heart is removing yourself from all sins. God is Holy and those who see Him have to be holy too. David always prayed a prayer to God which is "Create in me a pure heart Oh Lord" Being pure in heart is simply clean heart, no envy, no malice, no lies, no hate, no negativity towards others and God. So much more but its all about staying in God's will.

Those who make peace, just like Jesus always did. This is very self explanatory really.

Perfect examples are the disciples of God. They all suffered persecution without denouncing Christ. They preferred to be killed than go against their God. Same with Sadrach, mesach and abednego who were willing to be burnt to death rather than bow down to other gods. Same with Paul, He enjoyed being persecuted for the love of God was so massive in his heart.
This is talking about those who dont bow down to the world's pressure regardless of what they are going through. In the face of persecutions and adversities, they stand by GOD. They will inherit the kingdom

ha ha, there you go. Same with the above!:)

I have simply written what I feel strongly in my heart about. You will get different responses. Take what speaks to your heart mostly in all the responses you got, and toss what you dont want out.

I dont want anyone quoting my reply to disrepute it for I stand by what I have written above. I dont go back on what I know to be true.

Upvote 0

asiyreh

God is salvation
Mar 14, 2012
Ireland
✟9,457.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Love the beatitutes it always used to make me feel like there was hope for me, before I truely came to Christ.

One thing though guys. I heard this a long time ago and I'm not sure if it's correct so don't quote me...

But the one where Christ said; blessed are the poor in spirit. I think he means handicapped people like down syndrome children and it's an automatic justification for them under the law; should Christ choose to use it.

Again don't quote me.

Upvote 0
B

Be with God

okay I would just like to say thank you to all of you that helped me with understanding the message behind the beatitudes. I finally got through all the reading and note taking ans deciding which passages I understood and felt most connected to my heart. I know it took a very long time but it was and is so worth it to get to know god and actually know what he is trying to portray to me. All in all I really like this verse. Amen and God bless you for all your help and loving kindness you have given me on my path to righteousness. God Bless and take care

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums