Mar 20, 2003
USA
Visit site
✟24,334.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I loved the G series, especially the Hill Giant one. We had a BLAST staking out that joint. I converted it to 3.0 a few years ago and, although it isn't scaled perfectly to 3.0 edition, it would be playable. If one was to attack the great hall directly, they would be SOOOOO dead. I calculated the EL to be 19 or 20 at LEAST, and it's a 10-12 level adventure.

Reactions: Bohemian
Upvote 0

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Giants were a LOT weaker in 1E than in 2E, making a 2E straight conversion of the Giants series very, very, hard for the listed level.

Saltmarsh remains probably one of the best adventures ever. I have also a soft spot for the Dungeonland series (EX1/EX2).

Upvote 0

CJ.23

Feb 5, 2004
Cotswolds, UK
✟9,832.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
Are we taking D&D, or AD&D (1st ed or 2nd ed) or D20 (3rd ed) here? :)
OK, best D&D adventure in my opinion was the Keep on the bordelands - I loved it. Classic dungeon bashing fun. For AD&D you could not go wrong with anything by TSR UK, but I still like Against The cult of the Reptile God by Doug Niles. 3rd ed (D20) I think I would go with Last Days of Constantinople by Avalanche Press, but in it's historical accuracy it has some 'adult' themes. :) Great module though!

cj x

Upvote 0

CJ.23

Feb 5, 2004
Cotswolds, UK
✟9,832.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
BTW, I bought the first part of the T series in about 83, The village of Hommlet. I think T2, The Temple of Elemental Evil did not come out till about '96. I think that is one of the longest waits in RPG history, equalled only by the wait for Heroquest for Runequest and 'Masters of Luck & Death', the latter finally coming out this week, after a 25 year wait since first advertised. Note for Gloranthaphiles - Masters does not deal with the Pharoah & Holy Country as the original product was supposed to - check out rpgnet review for details!

cj x

Upvote 0

Bohemian

Aspiring Musician
Oct 13, 2003
Virginia
✟10,268.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
seebs said:
Giants were a LOT weaker in 1E than in 2E, making a 2E straight conversion of the Giants series very, very, hard for the listed level.

Saltmarsh remains probably one of the best adventures ever. I have also a soft spot for the Dungeonland series (EX1/EX2).
Oh, I forgot Dungeonland! Never played the Sinister Secret at Salmarsh for pen-paper D&D, though.:sigh:

Upvote 0

Kelly

Dungeon Master
Mar 20, 2003
USA
Visit site
✟24,334.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Bohemian said:
Never played the Sinister Secret at Salmarsh for pen-paper D&D, though.:sigh:
Desolate and abandoned, the evil alchemist’s mansion stands alone on the cliff, looking out towards the sea. Mysterious lights and ghostly hauntings have kept away the people of Saltmarsh, despite rumors of a fabulous forgotten treasure. What is it’s sinister secret? Are you brave enough to dare to discover…

Upvote 0

CJ.23

Feb 5, 2004
Cotswolds, UK
✟9,832.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
Kelly said:
Avalanche Press has the lamest cover art. Embarrassing. It may hinder some good material but I will never own one until they change.

I utterly agress with you. They actually hired an ex-Playboy artist to do the covers, which are just banal soft-inappropriate content. I have no problem with beautiful women, but this is just exploitative tat. I have actually e-mailed them to maon about how their rubbish covers are sending rpg back in to the early 80's, and make me embarassed to buy their products. However Last Days is completely free of this - the cover shows the Hagia Sophia, a monk and a Byzantine ship. The adult themes I referred to btw is a brothel where part of the plot is set, but this could be changed if it offends,and it is historically correct as far as I can see.

cj x

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CJ.23

Feb 5, 2004
Cotswolds, UK
✟9,832.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
Kelly said:
Characters investigate strange sounds and lights coming from an old house on craggy cliff near the ocean. More would be a spoiler, but bring your scooby snacks.

Agreed. Saltmarsh was a classic. Worth getting if you ever see it. Anyone ever play Tomb of Horrors?

cj x

Upvote 0