Visit site
✟15,288.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Green
As the title states, being an otaku must be hard. I'm not talking about peer pressure either. I'm talking about the expenses, the dinero $$. I just saw some prices on Madoka dvd sets=$90 EACH! Man it must be sweet to be running the anime market because those puppies sell out I hear.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Complete Box (Blu-ray Disc) <----This is outrageous.

Qyöt27

AMV Editor At Large
Apr 2, 2004
St. Petersburg, Florida
✟81,859.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yeah, Japanese retail prices are often much higher than what you'd see in North America, and then there's import expenses and whatnot. Not to mention that typically, Japanese releases on DVD/Blu-ray have fewer episodes per disc than here (often 2 episodes per disc instead of 3 or 4), which means more discs to buy, which means more money changing hands. I certainly don't see a problem, though, because the visual quality is typically much, much higher than the hack jobs domestic releases would often get (in earlier days, anyway; the Japanese release would use the best master, the North American ones would have subpar copies given to them or they'd royally screw it up all by themselves).

Fans here sometimes complain about this as if domestic companies are switching over to it when they haven't (and when prices of domestic DVD releases are a half or a third of the price they would have been almost ten years ago...even the Blu-ray prices are cheaper than what DVDs went for ca. 2003). I sometimes wonder if the general wages in Japan are higher, which might allow for this...but then I get cynical and say they probably aren't any higher at all; the companies have just made milking customers' wallets a freakin' art form.

More on topic, I imported the Evangelion Renewal movie set a few years back because the domestic license holder (read: Manga Entertainment, or 'that company whose disc authoring quality could be bested by a blindfolded chimpanzee') weren't going to release them like ADV did with the Platinum edition of the TV series. Cost me $72, if I remember correctly (and $18 of that was shipping).

I honestly cringe at how much I'd have to spend to get the Blu-ray sets of all the series I want, especially as most of them aren't licensed (or the American companies don't seem to have plans for Blu-ray releases), so I'd have to import them.

Upvote 0

Azureknight 773

IXA the Knight Kamen Rider
Apr 26, 2009
Canmanico, Valencia, Bohol
✟44,295.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
As the title states, being an otaku must be hard. I'm not talking about peer pressure either. I'm talking about the expenses, the dinero $$. I just saw some prices on Madoka dvd sets=$90 EACH! Man it must be sweet to be running the anime market because those puppies sell out I hear.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Complete Box (Blu-ray Disc) <----This is outrageous.

Yeah, I agree with you. I found some DVDs way back several years ago that costs around P2000+ (which is around $40+, converted in your country's currency) in a trip of mine in my country, where my budget for that was roughly twice that price. Man! I didn't buy it because I know that I still got a lot to buy with that P4000 cash. Next top, another one, MANGAs, right, mangas. I saw a tonload of good titles such as Bleach, Fate Stay/Night, Tsubasa Chronicles, etc. last year which makes me wanna buy them, however their prices soared to P450-P550 ($10+) where I only have P5000/ 15 days, wherein P3000 is reserved for my daily expenses (food, drinks and with some cellphone loads/3 weeks worth P300 or P500 and some others more) and the rest goes to buying altar hosts for my monthly offerings, the GunPla kits worth P750 to P1800 and/or other anime stuffs.

Oh great, I wanna buy a Perfect Grade OO Gundam now but it costs FIVE DIGITS! Meaning it is OVER 9000 PHILIPPINE PESOS! It is around P26000 and if I buy that, I will have all of my money drained. The same thing happened to the Super Robot Wars' Dygenguard/Daizengar

daizengar.png

with its horse albeit costs twice lesser but still. I cannot lose some important amount of cash. Another thing is that my recent spark for Western Superheroes comic books wants me to buy any good looking Avengers comics but it costs P1000+ which makes me sad, I do not have that much money to lose. Sometime in the past, I wanted to buy Newtype USA here but then the price again... P1000+. Oh how distrurbing!

Upvote 0

Azureknight 773

Apr 26, 2009
✟44,295.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I bet I could get you guys some stuff on the cheap..my cousins go total ape shyt over anime and manga and all that stuff...being my cousins are from Japan.

Why, thank you but then I am here in the Philippines. How can I settle this up? And hopefully we all say no to these abominations:
4261685817_2096e512cc.jpg

Upvote 0

CyberPaladin

Veteran
Dec 2, 2005
✟53,287.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Yeah being an Otaku would be hard of course being an anime fan period is hard the stuff is expensive no matter where you are and if your like me you have been hiding it from your family for over a decade. The trickiest part was when I lost my job acouple years back and had to move back in with my parents keeping it off there radar.

Upvote 0

Tomo_Tsu

Japanese-American
May 1, 2011
Washington State
✟7,803.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Why, thank you but then I am here in the Philippines. How can I settle this up? And hopefully we all say no to these abominations:
4261685817_2096e512cc.jpg

Nah Philippines ain't that far, bud. We can get something worked out with the shipping though if that's what you're concerned about..I mail and shipped stuff to Japan many times..allll thhee waayy from here in the USA I got my wedding coming up and its short notice..so anytime after that (july 8th) I can talk to them in the mean time if you're serious about the big ticket items.

Upvote 0

Qyöt27

AMV Editor At Large
Apr 2, 2004
St. Petersburg, Florida
✟81,859.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yeah being an Otaku would be hard of course being an anime fan period is hard the stuff is expensive no matter where you are and if your like me you have been hiding it from your family for over a decade. The trickiest part was when I lost my job acouple years back and had to move back in with my parents keeping it off there radar.
ore07_1big.gif

Upvote 0

Azureknight 773

Apr 26, 2009
✟44,295.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

Now you mentioned it, I too am hiding several goodies from my mom since I am afraid that she'll call me immature. Which is sad for I am now a grown up man with taking responsibilies up slowly. Aw man! I just love GunPlas!

Nah Philippines ain't that far, bud. We can get something worked out with the shipping though if that's what you're concerned about..I mail and shipped stuff to Japan many times..allll thhee waayy from here in the USA I got my wedding coming up and its short notice..so anytime after that (july 8th) I can talk to them in the mean time if you're serious about the big ticket items.

Oh man! I am going low in cash this time and the shipping too is another problem to face. I mean, I only have enough money for my allowance and also for a few goodies. Damn! If only I were having a large extra for these:

The Hi-v-Gundam.
RX-93-2 HI-V Gundam | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

3.jpg

22272839.jpg

(That dark blue Kamen Rider named Wing Knight and Those two white Kamen Riders Psyga and IXA in figmas)

and a lot more goodies that are left not placed for it would consume a lot of time posting them all.

Qyöt27;57870067 said:

*calls for the overacting*
scared.jpg

Oh no! Not the moe blobs! Not the moe blobs! AAAAAAAH!!! Oh they are so adorable, so adorable! They make massive nosebleeds! AAAAAAHHH!!! AAAAARGHGJGHGHGH!!!!

Man! Moe, another one of the factor that makes being an otaku harder. It is hard to resist them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Qyöt27

AMV Editor At Large
Apr 2, 2004
St. Petersburg, Florida
✟81,859.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Eh, I'm really not here or there on the whole 'moe' thing (heck, I'm waiting on K-ON! Blu-ray Vol.2 to arrive in the mail, and this got here a couple days ago). I just sometimes get annoyed with the 'this is the cancer that's killing anime' viewpoints. The same thing could be said for a dozen other story/design/genre niches that have been around for far longer and still don't seem to have killed the medium. I just go with what looks interesting to me, and if that coincides with some sort of 'moe', then so be it.

DigiDigi said:
Lmao XD then you have the "moe moe" otakus, the almost non-existent gold.^^That was a hilarious episode.
'Tis true. Ore no Imouto in general actually being one of those series I lamented near the start of the thread about having to import if/when I had the money.

Upvote 0

Azureknight 773

Apr 26, 2009
✟44,295.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Oh Qyöt27-san, you made me drool with that BD. If only I could find a decent store with the subbed and dubbed animes sold in front of me (no pirated ones! I support originals now!) then I would save some of my cash for those. Apart from financial stuff... Yes we have SD Gundam Force and Gundam Seed and a few others in my local stores like Oddesey... but then they are in the form of VCDs and they are old and too common. I want to see something new, something innovative, something that the otakus here in my area can buy in a day to day basis. Yes there are a lot of anime DVDs sold but then they are from Hong Kong/ Taiwan/ China and are full of erroneous edits in the cover, plus they are pirated! Another problem! Geez! My place sucks! BIG TIME! Unless I could go to the capital of my country, Metro Manila for the SM Mall of Asia, Wallmart and the Glorietta Malls, then I might be able to grab those damn tantalizing titles and also with the other goodies, such as FIGMAS, Nendoroids (Nah! I now have Yuki Miku Hatsune and FSN Arturia "Saber" Pendragon), GunPlas (1/100 Wing Zero Custom, OO, Avalanche Exia and 1/144 Wing Zero Custom, Zabanya and Hi-v-Gundam GPB Colors are all in my hands) art work books and a lot more goods from Japan.

Upvote 0

MoonlessNight

Fides et Ratio
Sep 16, 2003
✟63,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I spent $100 to buy the series of my avatar when it came out (since I had already watched the whole thing and it's my policy to support legitimate releases). I kept thinking about that as I winced at the pointless fanservice that popped up more than I had recalled from my first viewing.

I like the whole setting of Our Home's Fox Deity/Wagaya no Oinari-sama, but (appropriately enough for this thread) it's one of those shows that I feel embarassed showing people.

Come to think of it the only anime that I feel comfortable in watching no matter who is with me is Studio Ghibli stuff (and more recently The Girl Who Leapt Through Time). With other stuff I'll start to say something is great and then think of elements that I'm not as comfortable sharing. Like "Outlaw Star is a great series with a classic (i.e. 60's and 70's) science fiction feel that you don't see much anymore, and great characters, a strong plot and oh yeah Melfina kind of strips naked every episode doesn't she? Maybe I'll suggest watching something else."

Though I guess I feel the same twinge of embarrassment when some people catch me watching Gargoyles or Exosquad or the like. And those also have issues in getting the goods (though it's more that you can't get things than that they are too expensive). So I guess maybe it's just hard being an animation fan in general?

Upvote 0

Caedmon

kawaii
Site Supporter
Dec 18, 2001
R'lyeh
✟49,383.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Others
Is it that it's tough and financially draining being an otaku? Or that you become labeled as an otaku by virtue of the fact that you spend too much on anime or manga?

Let me give you some advice. Watch all the series in Hulu's anime section. If you're still not satisfied, wait for sales at Amazon and elsewhere. Don't buy overpriced Japanese imports. Accept bargains and compromise with American releases. And be happy with what you've got. Trust me, you will be a happier, healthier person for it.

Upvote 0

CyberPaladin

Veteran
Dec 2, 2005
✟53,287.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
If you want a selection of anime that's relatively cheap the best thing to do is go to amazon the Movie & TV category and type in S.A.V.E. for the keyword brings up alot of anime titles and the most expensive I have seen on the list is still less then $30 and many are under $20.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Azureknight 773

Apr 26, 2009
✟44,295.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Is it that it's tough and financially draining being an otaku? Or that you become labeled as an otaku by virtue of the fact that you spend too much on anime or manga?

Let me give you some advice. Watch all the series in Hulu's anime section. If you're still not satisfied, wait for sales at Amazon and elsewhere. Don't buy overpriced Japanese imports. Accept bargains and compromise with American releases. And be happy with what you've got. Trust me, you will be a happier, healthier person for it.

Not just anime and manga, there are lots and lots more stuffs from Japan that one can become an otaku. In fact this on the other hand is another factor:

TOKUSATSU. I'll give you these. Super Sentai, Kamen Rider, Metal Heroes.

SUPER SENTAI
capturenbn1.jpg

KAMEN RIDER
2.jpg

METAL HEROES
Metal_Heroes.jpg

Hey! Even Spidey is one of them!
orig-11827561.jpg

Won't believe it? Here!
&#x202a;Japanese Spider Man&#x202c;&rlm; - YouTube

Man! I am so enthusiastic with these guys.

Upvote 0