Being a church pianist and over coming stage fright...

Well I've only played piano for like 6-7 months and my dad thinks I can play good enough to play the casting crowns song: Now my lifesong sings on piano while he sings on a sunday service. I thought it would be impossible because well I am really shy and I shake when I play for somebody. What's weird is that when I Play good I get nervous because it's scary that I do that well in that short time. SO here's the problem I can overcome stagefirght in my mind but if my body can't overcome it. When I shake I become Clumsy and have spassms in my hands... I could just say no, but I would like to do something for the lord since I haven't done much for him.

The other thing is that I'm just curious about. Our chior instructor said that if You can play for a church you can always find a job because not many people like to play church music anymore. Are there any church musicians who can't sight read real well. I can sight read and play by ear. I'm just wondering if they would let someone who had to memorise the songs or play them by ear do it.

willard3

Professional accomplice
Dec 18, 2005
✟10,402.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Speaking as someone who is a full time church musician, I'll say that sightreading is a definite and major plus, but not necessarily a requirement for hiring. Some pastors like the possibility to be flexible, and while you may memorize pieces well, it means you'll need to plan well in advance and be unable to roll with the proverbial punch if something does come up. Sightreading is my primary piano skill, so this job is far easier than it probably should be.

You can improve sightreading if it's not your top skill...go to the music store, pick up a bunch of pieces you don't know (from different styles) that are appropriate to your skill level or slightly higher, and just play them.

As for the stage fright thing, do you frequently practice alone? If so, I'd say this is your main problem. Ask people to sit in the room as you practice, and even go so far as to invite friends over for that specific purpose. I knew a few music major friends in college who had varying levels of stage fright, and would occasionally kidnap people from the lounge to listen to them practice.

Upvote 0
Jul 25, 2008
✟7,705.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You could always go to your doctor and get beta blockers for that. Thousands of people take beta blockers for high blood pressure, etc. It blocks the adrenaline, which will keep you from shaking and such. But I would only use those if you can by no other means keep your nerves in check.

Upvote 0

PutPutTruck

Mar 10, 2009
✟15,144.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There is a psychological technique involving conditioned response that would help you. You have to run through the day of the performance in your mind, and when you start to shake, you focus on making it stop and then move on to the next moment until you are on stage and playing (mentally). It is hard to explain in a quick reply, but this is how I prepared myself for juries in front of the professors at college. Look it up, it works.

Upvote 0

Audiomatic

Apr 12, 2009
✟15,303.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I was very nervous playing in church at first, but I'm a guitar player so I could hide in the back; it's hard to hide a piano player! Anyway, church is a great place to play for nervous people; most people who attend are pretty forgiving. I would start by playing on the Worship Team rather than doing a "special song." I have a dear friend who's an excellent piano player and singer who would drag me up for special songs. I would play lead guitar and my fingers would shake so much I was playing like Slash (never could do that before!) Anyway, when I confided in her that I would get really nervous, she confided in me that she was really nervous, and that's why she always asked me to accompany her. We don't do that anymore; I kind of miss it though (playing like Slash!).

If you want to get good at sight reading, that's great! But don't sight read to memorize the song, then pretend you're sight reading; that approach got me through piano lessons as a kid, but now I can't sight read worth a darn! There are plenty of jobs in churches and schools for piano players who are profficient sight readers. That having been said, there are numerous piano players who have had great careers and never used sheet music. Stevie Wonder, Ray Charles, Billy Joel, Leon Russell, to name a few. They typically play chords with their left hand and train their right hand to play along in whatever key they're in.

Good luck!

Upvote 0

javaqueen

Oct 2, 2004
✟15,315.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I agree with Audiomatic, if you start in the praise team, it becomes easier to play solos and special music. I was in a praise team for 2 years and now play solos' at church, special music and congregational singing too. But, it definitely takes time.

Tell your Dad that you want to play it for him, but need to play with a group first, I'm sure he will understand.

Keep playing it sounds like you are doing really well. :)

Upvote 0

SwiftShadowFox00

swift shadow fox
Jul 23, 2009
Pasadena - California
✟15,144.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
the main thing to remember here is that God will ALWAYS be with you when you do your performances, ive heard of instances where a person would be playing the music and mess up, but no one notices it, not even the people who also do the same song. you could pray before you start and always think of God., and you will start to feel better

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums