Troubled Christian
Jul 17, 2015
USA
✟17,755.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
After noticing the disturbing trend of including graven images of Christ and others within many American Presbyterian churches, I've decided to create this thread. Feel free to post any images of any beautiful Reformed / Calvinist / Presbyterian meetinghouses you know of, and I'll regularly post new pictures of some of my favorites. Some photos will only be exteriors, some will be only interiors, and some will be a little of both.

Only one rule in this thread: No graven images. Stained glass is fine, as long as it's patterned and doesn't feature images of humans / angels.

11425124_1443509769285220_8335175810737130222_n.jpg

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟747,724.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Last edited:
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Langley Chapel. Reformed Anglican.

church.jpg

Interesting!

Today in North America we might think this is rather special and historic, as indeed it is.

When it was built, centuries back, it would have been thought of as utterly simple.

Customs change.

Last edited:
Reactions: riesie
Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟747,724.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I believe the chapel at Langley was Reformed after the iconoclast in England, not sure, but I believe it was a pre-tridentine Roman church. I would post a comparison but that would probably break the rules if this threads and the 2nd commandment.

Thomas Boston, "The Papists wipe their mouth, and say, they have not sinned, when they do not believe the image to be God, and do not terminate their worship on the image itself, but worship God in and by it. And when they have said this, what say they more than what the heathens had to say, and did say to the Christians of old? Did they believe that their images were the very gods they worshipped? Nay, they made many images of one god, as of Jupiter; and when they grew old, they cast them off, and got new ones. But did they change their gods? No, Jer. 2.11. Were not the Israelites abominable idolaters in the worship of the golden calf? Psalm. 106.19,20. Yet they did but worship Jehovah by it, Exod. 32.5. So Jeroboam's golden calves were intended but as means whereby to worship the true God, 1 Kings 12.26. So the calf-worship remained after Baal's worship was destroyed out of Israel by Jehu. The same was the case with Micah's idolatry, Judg. 17.13. and 18.6."

Thank God His Law doesn't change!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

riesie

Jun 22, 2015
The Netherlands
✟68,626.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Interesting!

Today in North America we might think this is rather special and historic, as indeed it is.

When it was built, centuries back, it would have been thought of as utter simple.

Customs change.
Beautiful

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

tulipbee

Worker of the Hive
Apr 27, 2006
✟25,849.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
After noticing the disturbing trend of including graven images of Christ and others within many American Presbyterian churches, I've decided to create this thread. Feel free to post any images of any beautiful Reformed / Calvinist / Presbyterian meetinghouses you know of, and I'll regularly post new pictures of some of my favorites. Some photos will only be exteriors, some will be only interiors, and some will be a little of both.

Only one rule in this thread: No graven images. Stained glass is fine, as long as it's patterned and doesn't feature images of humans / angels.

11425124_1443509769285220_8335175810737130222_n.jpg
Oh my! I'm an artist and y'all want me to paint in abstract art. I don't think so.

Upvote 0