Visit site
✟21,931.00
Country
Puerto Rico
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, a guru to the Beatles who introduced the West to transcendental meditation, died Tuesday at his home in the Dutch town of Vlodrop, a spokesman said. He was thought to be 91 years old.
"He died peacefully at about 7 p.m.," said Bob Roth, a spokesman for the Transcendental Meditation movement that Maharishi founded. He said his death appeared to be due to "natural causes, his age."
Once dismissed as hippie mysticism, the Hindu practice of mind control known as transcendental meditation gradually gained medical respectability.

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/Music/02/05/obit.yogi.ap/index.html

:angel:

SteveAtheist

Jun 28, 2007
✟8,812.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
He was the man about whom the song "Sexy Sadie" was written (the lyric was changed, at Paul's insistence, from 'Maharishi' to 'Sexy Sadie' to avoid being too pointed).
Ringo

After the Beatles had a falling out with him and felt that he was tricking everyone.

'Sexy Sadie, what have you done
Made a fool of everyone
You broke the rules...
You'll get your yet...'

They felt that he was a religious leader who used his spirituality to con them and others in exchange for power, fame and sex. Guess he outlasted John and George.

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Separation of Church and State expert
Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
After the Beatles had a falling out with him and felt that he was tricking everyone.

'Sexy Sadie, what have you done
Made a fool of everyone
You broke the rules...
You'll get your yet...'

They felt that he was a religious leader who used his spirituality to con them and others in exchange for power, fame and sex. Guess he outlasted John and George.
Exactly. But whether the Maharishi was actually doing so remains a mystery, as John pretty much believed that the Maharishi was using them without proof.

Typical John.
Ringo

Upvote 0

HannahBanana

Dec 11, 2006
Concord, MA
✟12,558.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, a guru to the Beatles who introduced the West to transcendental meditation, died Tuesday at his home in the Dutch town of Vlodrop, a spokesman said. He was thought to be 91 years old.
"He died peacefully at about 7 p.m.," said Bob Roth, a spokesman for the Transcendental Meditation movement that Maharishi founded. He said his death appeared to be due to "natural causes, his age."
Once dismissed as hippie mysticism, the Hindu practice of mind control known as transcendental meditation gradually gained medical respectability.

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/Music/02/05/obit.yogi.ap/index.html

:angel:
I'm probably going to make myself look really ignorant by asking this, but was this the guy who taught George Harrison to play the sitar? Or was this just another Indian man who had ties to the Beatles?

Either way, I'll pray for his family during this difficult time in their life. R.I.P. Maharishi Mahesh Yogi.

Upvote 0

SteveAtheist

Jun 28, 2007
✟8,812.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
I'm probably going to make myself look really ignorant by asking this, but was this the guy who taught George Harrison to play the sitar? Or was this just another Indian man who had ties to the Beatles?

Either way, I'll pray for his family during this difficult time in their life. R.I.P. Maharishi Mahesh Yogi.

No. He was a spiritual leader in India that the Beatles went to study under.

Upvote 0

HannahBanana

Dec 11, 2006
Concord, MA
✟12,558.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
No. He was a spiritual leader in India that the Beatles went to study under.
Oh, okay. Thanks. :p (I really need to study up on my Beatles knowledge. As a hippie, aren't I supposed to have a Ph.D. in Beatles History? LOL. ;))

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HannahBanana

Dec 11, 2006
Concord, MA
✟12,558.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I see rainbows and colors and gnomes and a large person with flowers and......:p
I can see through time. Far out, man.
th_hippy0-1.gif

Upvote 0