"Be angry, and do not sin" (in Ephesians 4:26)

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟588,170.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Our Apostle Paul says, "'Be angry, and do not sin': do not let the sun go down on your wrath, nor give place to the devil." (Ephesians 4:26). There are people who claim this means that it is ok for us to get mad and lose our temper, but just make sure we get over it before the end of the day.

However, James says, "let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath; for the wrath of man does not produce the righteousness of God." (in James 1:19-20)

So, please share how you have been blessed to understand these scriptures :)

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Ephesians 4:26 is quoted from Psalm 4:4, just for reference

Ephesians 4:31
Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice.

Colossians 3:8
But now you must also rid yourselves of all such things as these: anger, rage, malice, slander, and filthy language from your lips.

1 Timothy 2:8
Therefore I want the men everywhere to pray, lifting up holy hands without anger or disputing.

I think the Bible is pretty clear that anger can produce sin, and that the production of sin keeps us from living righteously. This boils down to living in the Spirit, living in self control. Anger can cloud our judgements and keep up from repentance and forgiving others. Anger is a natural human emotion though, but we need to keep our emotions in check.

• Winner
Reactions: com7fy8
Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So, please share how you have been blessed to understand these scriptures :)

I understand that all so, that we can be angry, but we should be slow in getting angry, because it doesn’t produce good things. :)

• Winner
Reactions: com7fy8
Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I understand that all so, that we can be angry, but we should be slow in getting angry, because it doesn’t produce good things. :)

That's exactly what I take it to mean too and something I definitely struggle with - I get very angry fast, but it goes away quickly. I have prayed about it but haven't beaten it yet.

• Prayers
Reactions: 1213
Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That's exactly what I take it to mean too and something I definitely struggle with - I get very angry fast, but it goes away quickly. I have prayed about it but haven't beaten it yet.

I think getting angry is not entirely bad, because it shows you care. If you don’t care, you don’t get angry. The problem with getting angry is, if it comes visible by bad way, or if you become angry because of bad reason. Good thing, if it goes away quickly and I hope you can handle it well so that it doesn’t control you and doesn’t make you do wrong things.

Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0