Shorebird1581

Feb 23, 2016
United States
✟7,612.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
I was raised in the United Methodist church before coming to college about three years ago. As I matured and my beliefs were examined a bit more, started to slowly drift away from the UMC in search of a new denomination that is more socially current (allows female leadership, affirms LGBT community, etc.), but retains traditional worship styles and has a formal and serious feel to its services. I am very drawn to the Episcopal Church for the ritualistic elements, such as kneeling, and I like the idea of praying regularly using the Daily Office in the Book of Common Prayer.

I am a bit confused, however, at the various teachings of the Episcopal Church. Pages on the Internet are not giving me conclusive answers on the specific beliefs of TEC such as the Eucharist, bowing/kneeling/genuflecting customs, etc. and I'd appreciate if someone could give a more definitive explanation that might help me come off the fence on whether the Episcopal Church is right for me. (I'm 90% sure, but that other 10% would be nice.)

Thanks!

Feuerbach

Continuing Anglican
Sep 14, 2015
San Antonio, Texas, USA
Visit site
✟8,072.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Depending on how high or low church the source is, the answers on the questions you've asked will vary. The variety and comprehensive nature of Anglicanism is what most Anglicans consider a strength, even if it baffles and frustrates our occasional efforts at coming up with definitive answers. Your best bet is to find a local parish and see what their worship style is. As for doctrine, traditionally that's found in the BCP and the Articles of Religion, though many Episcopalians ignore the Articles these days or at least downplay their role. Many Episcopalians/Anglicans, especially from the higher church side will also emphasize the teachings of the first four Ecumenical Councils, but these mostly have to do with Christological and Trinitarian orthodoxy with which you as a Methodist are already in agreement with.

Please note, I am not an Episcopalian, but an Anglican in a Continuing Anglican jurisdiction. The Episcopalians on this board may provide you more useful answers to your question, but I don't think I said anything off track of our common Anglican heritage.

Upvote 0

Padres1969

Episcopalian
Nov 28, 2015
San Diego
✟28,176.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I was raised in the United Methodist church before coming to college about three years ago. As I matured and my beliefs were examined a bit more, started to slowly drift away from the UMC in search of a new denomination that is more socially current (allows female leadership, affirms LGBT community, etc.), but retains traditional worship styles and has a formal and serious feel to its services. I am very drawn to the Episcopal Church for the ritualistic elements, such as kneeling, and I like the idea of praying regularly using the Daily Office in the Book of Common Prayer.

I am a bit confused, however, at the various teachings of the Episcopal Church. Pages on the Internet are not giving me conclusive answers on the specific beliefs of TEC such as the Eucharist, bowing/kneeling/genuflecting customs, etc. and I'd appreciate if someone could give a more definitive explanation that might help me come off the fence on whether the Episcopal Church is right for me. (I'm 90% sure, but that other 10% would be nice.)

Thanks!
Short answer, it depends.

I say that not to be glib, but with the Episcopal Church, and all branches of Anglicanism, the answers to your questions regarding the Eucharist, bowing/kneeling/genuflecting, etc... depend on what type of church you're attending, and what your own beliefs are as well. Are you attending high church, broad church, low church? Is the church you're in Anglo-Catholic or more Evangelical?

With regard to the Eucharist, generally Anglican believe Christ is present in the Eucharist, but the particulars of his presence will run the gamut from the Catholic-like Transubstantiation through the Lutheran like views of sacramental union to consubstantiation down to a more pneumatic presence.

With regard to bowing, kneeling, genuflecting, this is also quite varied between individual churches, or even individual congregants. I attend a relatively high church in the anglo-catholic tradition and just at my church through the mass there are parts where some will kneel (during the Communion prayers) and others will stand. Some will genuflect when leaving pews and others will bow. When receiving Eucharist at the altar rail, most will kneel, some will stand. Some receive on the tongue, some receive in the hand, some drink the wine directly, some recieving it with the bread via intinction, and some choose not to receive at all. Across all of the Episcopal Church you'll find these to be even more varied.

Keep in mind all of the above is usually done in the context of the BCP and the Articles as mentioned above along with the major Christian creeds (Nicene, Apostles, Athanasian).

This may seem daunting since it requires you to sus out what you believe yourself a bit more than some other denominations. As someone who swam the Thames fairly recently, I can tell you it's not at all impossible. You may need to visit a few congregations until you settle in and feel comfortable. But one advantage to the variation within Anglicanism with it's balancing act of the Scripture/Reason/Tradition is that you're bound to find that right place for you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

graceandpeace

Episcopalian
Sep 12, 2013
✟22,175.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat

Thanks!

Hello,

I do think, based on what you wrote, that the Episcopal Church is the right choice. :oldthumbsup:

The basics of what the Episcopal Church believes is summed up in the catechism, which is posed in Q&A format, found here:

http://anglicansonline.org/basics/catechism.html

Our faith is otherwise summed up in the Nicene Creed & Apostle's Creed.

However, the Episcopal Church is rather tolerant of a plurality of viewpoints, & is known for seeking to be welcoming to people, including those with doubts or differing views.

The Episcopal Church believes in the Real Prescence in the Eucharistic elements, though there is no specific explanation for how this occurs or what this means:

http://www.episcopalchurch.org/library/glossary/eucharist

Customs can vary from parish to parish, but in general the congregation will stand to sing, sit to listen to the Bible readings & sermon, stand for the Gospel reading, & stand for the Nicene/Apostle's Creed. Prayer will be standing or kneeling.

Let us know if we can be of more help.

Reactions: Padres1969
Upvote 0

Padres1969

Episcopalian
Nov 28, 2015
San Diego
✟28,176.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hello,

I do think, based on what you wrote, that the Episcopal Church is the right choice. :oldthumbsup:

The basics of what the Episcopal Church believes is summed up in the catechism, which is posed in Q&A format, found here:

http://anglicansonline.org/basics/catechism.html

Our faith is otherwise summed up in the Nicene Creed & Apostle's Creed.

However, the Episcopal Church is rather tolerant of a plurality of viewpoints, & is known for seeking to be welcoming to people, including those with doubts or differing views.

The Episcopal Church believes in the Real Prescence in the Eucharistic elements, though there is no specific explanation for how this occurs or what this means:

http://www.episcopalchurch.org/library/glossary/eucharist

Customs can vary from parish to parish, but in general the congregation will stand to sing, sit to listen to the Bible readings & sermon, stand for the Gospel reading, & stand for the Nicene/Apostle's Creed. Prayer will be standing or kneeling.

Let us know if we can be of more help.
Yeah I'd also echo that while the whole Book of Common Prayer is helpful, the Catechism in particular is very accessible and helpful for at least the basics. It's essentially an Episcopalian FAQ.

Reactions: graceandpeace
Upvote 0