Bartering system, what you got to trade?

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
With just a few cheap ingredients we make washing detergent. These ingredients store indefinitely. Years from now you will still be making washing detergent.

1 Bar of Zote, finely shredded (14.1 oz)
3 cups Borax (I use 20 Mule Team)
3 cups Washing Soda (I use Arm & Hammer, but it’s not baking soda.)

We make enough for a year at a time. Works great.

Reactions: Fireinfolding
Upvote 0

Fireinfolding

Dec 17, 2006
The South
✟121,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
With just a few cheap ingredients we make washing detergent. These ingredients store indefinitely. Years from now you will still be making washing detergent.

You can even get the washing soda ingredient in bulk (for those who want to make it homemade in bulk)

50 pounds of it

Uses

This is the home made dishwashing detergent I use for my dishwasher

And this one works the best for me and is septic safe (which is something those with septic systems must be careful of with these homemade cleaners)

1 cup borax

1 cup washing soda

½ cup kosher salt

5 packets unsweetened lemonade mix

Mix all ingredients and store in a tightly sealed jar.

Use 1 tablespoon per load, or 2 tablespoons for extra-dirty dishes.

Makes 42 loads

Cost per load: 2 cents

Reactions: SavedByGrace3
Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thanks
You can even get the washing soda ingredient in bulk (for those who want to make it homemade in bulk)

50 pounds of it

Uses

This is the home made dishwashing detergent I use for my dishwasher

And this one works the best for me and is septic safe (which is something those with septic systems must be careful of with these homemade cleaners)

1 cup borax

1 cup washing soda

½ cup kosher salt

5 packets unsweetened lemonade mix

Mix all ingredients and store in a tightly sealed jar.

Use 1 tablespoon per load, or 2 tablespoons for extra-dirty dishes.

Makes 42 loads

Cost per load: 2 cents
Yes... I forgot to say these are really cheap mixes. The washing detergent is like 5 cents a load.

Reactions: Fireinfolding
Upvote 0

MrJim

Legend 3/17/05
Mar 17, 2005
FEMA Region III
✟42,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Wine maybe... easy to make. A high barter value.

Right now whiskey is cheap~lay in a few cases of Black Velvet in pints...a fifth can be had for less than $10 on sale so figure the pints are less than $5. Don't kid yourself in thinking wine is somehow more "spiritual" when it comes to bartering...these days we can get whiskey in nice plastic bottles for easy storage...and when bartering time comes people ain't gonna care if it's high dollar Jack Daniels or bottom dollar Canadian Black Velvet...80 proof whiskey is 80 proof whiskey when the hard times come...

Upvote 0

South Bound

I stand with Israel.
Jan 3, 2014
✟31,159.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In a full apocalypse, nothing but teamwork, grit, secure shelter, and hard farming will save ya. Mass storage (hoarding) can get you by for a time. Prepping seems these days to go hand in hand with hoarding. I don't think anything could be LESS biblical.

However, wars and rumors of wars being as they are, and history being what it is, hard times can hit at any moment! No believer is self sufficient economically, we as a church are to share in all things. What can you keep on hand that will keep its value for trade or bartering in case of emergency?

Here is my top five list of things to have on hand in the case of hard times. Also, you could make a plan to quickly get these things in the early hours of the emergency. But make sure it's something you can fit in one shopping cart :)

Silver coins (100 ounces)
Ammunition (500 round rifle, 250 rounds pistol)
Cash ($1000-$2000)
Wine (40 bottles, red)
Gasoline (1 barrel)

What are your top five?

Everybody should have gold, silver, and other metals to protect against the collapse of the dollar, but they're not going to be good for bartering.

The best things to barter will be alcohol, ammo, and tools. I also have a theory that shoes are going to be a good barter item. I know that sounds weird, but it's something everybody needs, that wear out regularly, and that cannot easily be fixed or replaced in a SHTF situation.

I try to pick up little things here and there I can pack away to possibly barter. Just picked up a 10 pack of small LED flashlights at Tractor Supply this morning for $9.99. That's a dollar a flashlight for something that could pay off in a bartering situation. Likewise, you can get a pack of cigarette lighters at the dollar store for next to nothing.

Upvote 0

FredVB

Mar 11, 2010
America
Visit site
✟268,391.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In a full apocalypse, nothing but teamwork, grit, secure shelter, and hard farming will save ya. Mass storage (hoarding) can get you by for a time. Prepping seems these days to go hand in hand with hoarding. I don't think anything could be LESS biblical.
However, wars and rumors of wars being as they are, and history being what it is, hard times can hit at any moment! No believer is self sufficient economically, we as a church are to share in all things.

This is just absolutely right that hoarding for yourself is not at all biblical, rather than seeking to be just self-sufficient, with being independent of needing civilization still desirable, a community of believers should be joined together, as it should be with a church, and sharing in things communally, not that there shouldn't be anything for personal possessions. Farming for having what will be needed has to be done with any if this way of prepping so as to continue with any stability, but it doesn't have to be as hard as it seems it is thought to be, search online for natural farming connected with Fukuoka.

Hard times are certainly coming, and what we have already been doing with being among our society has to do with this. See this post:
http://www.christianforums.com/thre...lisation-by-2040.7913377/page-2#post-68768475.

We would do well to join with other believers even right away with our prepping to start with such a farming community on good land for it growing what will be needed, preferably with non GMO seeds, to live in a sustainable way as much as it can be done, with such independence as far as it can be done from needing civilization, with such believers joining in the work for it and sharing in what is produced.

Upvote 0

Grabs Popcorn

Sep 25, 2015
England
✟7,725.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I haven't got a gun, I can't hunt or fish or do agriculture, so my only hope is to "barter" my fearless cast-iron christian mindset and good humour with a survival group so they'll let me stay with them to keep their morale high..:)
"As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another" (Proverbs 27:17)

PS- In the episode of 'Survivors' (1975) called 'New Arrivals', a young agricultural whizzkid named Mark joins a group, and although he's an expert and certainly knows his stuff, his manner is rude, arrogant and insulting and he lowers the morale of the whole group.
They don't actually kick him out, but he senses they don't want him, so leaves of his own accord.
The moral is that no matter how fantastic somebody may be at something, he won't be wanted if he wrecks a groups morale..:)
Here's a clip where they finally have it out with him-

Upvote 0

aieyiamfu

Nov 13, 2015
✟27,924.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

However, wars and rumors of wars being as they are, and history being what it is, hard times can hit at any moment! No believer is self sufficient economically, we as a church are to share in all things. What can you keep on hand that will keep its value for trade or bartering in case of emergency?

Here is my top five list of things to have on hand in the case of hard times. Also, you could make a plan to quickly get these things in the early hours of the emergency. But make sure it's something you can fit in one shopping cart :)

Silver coins (100 ounces)
Ammunition (500 round rifle, 250 rounds pistol)
Cash ($1000-$2000)
Wine (40 bottles, red)
Gasoline (1 barrel)

Don't save the gas it will go bad and mess up whatever you use it in, it is not that hard to build a gassifer and it can be done fairly quickly with fairly common supplies and will give you a lot more mileage than a tank of gas, you can also rather easily pyrolize plastic and crack the hydrocarbon chains and end up with a passable petrol solution as well as diesel and a bevy of other petroleum distalites including some very handy and long burning paraffin wax. If you so save gas rotate it every couple of weeks.

What are your top five?

Upvote 0

aieyiamfu

Nov 13, 2015
✟27,924.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
A local currency could actually have more real value than a national currency after a significant economic upheaval.

Even some states are discussing State currencies as well as encouraging local communities to begin them.

A church, theoretically, could initiate something along this line as well.

http://money.cnn.com/2012/01/17/pf/l...htm?iid=F_Jump
If we somehow get clear of currency, the real appocalypse would be going back to it. Think about how we worship pieces of paper with pictures of dead opressors and their magic symbols on it when it has in reality very litte to no real value. If no one took your money in exchange for goods what could you do with it, wipe your posterior or start a fire.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

aieyiamfu

Nov 13, 2015
✟27,924.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Top Five Bartering Items
Water Filtering system
Food all sorts
Shelter *(tents, sleep bags, clothing)
Batteries
Brass and Silver
Why brass in particular? I would think most any metal will have immense value if you posess the means to work with it.

Upvote 0

aieyiamfu

Nov 13, 2015
✟27,924.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

With wood ash and animal fat you can make soap that will suit most purposes fairly easily.

Reactions: MWood
Upvote 0

aieyiamfu

Nov 13, 2015
✟27,924.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Everybody should have gold, silver, and other metals to protect against the collapse of the dollar, but they're not going to be good for bartering.

The best things to barter will be alcohol, ammo, and tools. I also have a theory that shoes are going to be a good barter item. I know that sounds weird, but it's something everybody needs, that wear out regularly, and that cannot easily be fixed or replaced in a SHTF situation.

I try to pick up little things here and there I can pack away to possibly barter. Just picked up a 10 pack of small LED flashlights at Tractor Supply this morning for $9.99. That's a dollar a flashlight for something that could pay off in a bartering situation. Likewise, you can get a pack of cigarette lighters at the dollar store for next to nothing.
Silve may outpace gold if the situation is right but if you are starving and have no food silver and gold won't be much good. The flashlight are a great idea just remember to stock up on batteries.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

South Bound

I stand with Israel.
Jan 3, 2014
✟31,159.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Very true, but one could not pay bills for much longer than not eating .

There will be food. It might not be food you like and there might not be as much of it as you'd like, but when food literally grows between the cracks in the sidewalk, there will be food.

Besides, we grow our own so I'm not particularly worried about it.

Upvote 0

aieyiamfu

Nov 13, 2015
✟27,924.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
There will be food. It might not be food you like and there might not be as much of it as you'd like, but when food literally grows between the cracks in the sidewalk, there will be food.

Besides, we grow our own so I'm not particularly worried about it.
Very true, sustenance however may be a serious issue, unless you grow meat eggs nut and grains or have a very leisurely lifestyle that allows for serious calorie restriction you could be in trouble.

Upvote 0