MikeBigg

Apr 13, 2010
Hampshire, UK
✟17,374.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
I'm amazed they took it so far, to be honest and I'm pleased the result went the way it did.

Have they had help with legal costs? I notice the Christian Institute had a quote in the article ... are they providing legal support?

Here's a thing ... I went to CreationFest in the summer, Primarily to see Philippa Hanna ... in their camping booking form there is the following:

"No mixed-tent sharing on site i.e. no boys and girls sleeping in the same tents unless married, or with family."​

So, a perfect place to go camping for gay guys.

I wonder what planet the organisers are living on ... like not being able to stay in a tent together is going to stop any "goings on" and there is better and cheaper camping elsewhere anyway.

Why do some Christians think they have the right to control the behaviour of others based on their own moral code? I don't get it.

Mike

Upvote 0

non-religious

Veteran
Mar 4, 2005
Herts
✟11,017.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
[MikeBigg]
Why do some Christians think they have the right to control the behaviour of others based on their own moral code? I don't get it.

Or any religion for that matter. Some believers can't help themselves. They have chosen a specific path for their own life, but insist on making rules that they want to see enforced across the board. And if you happen to believe in the god of the Bible, Torah or Koran then your voice is louder and more important than any other deity or belief.

Upvote 0

Lotuspetal_uk

Say 'CHEESE!!!!'
Jan 26, 2003
Good Ole' Blighty!
Visit site
✟87,683.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

Mike
All that the case highlighted was that Christians such as this couple should not open their private home up to the public ultimately. I fully support their beliefs but unfortunately in that kind of business the faith clashes with the world.

Without getting into this on a more spiritual level I know why they did what they did, however the law of the land does not look at things on a spiritual level and this is what this couple has to understand. They will have "to give to Caesar what is Caesar's" if they stay in this kind of business.

I just hope though that the next course of action is that their lawyers can find sufficient loopholes in this law, to enable them to provide a B&B service with a clearer management policy if they cannot do that.

Upvote 0

Jonathan Jarvis

Quoth The Raven
Mar 24, 2013
Chesterfield
Visit site
✟16,064.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm amazed they took it so far, ......

Mike

The outcome was a forgone conclusion. I don't know why their backers wanted to throw away their money after such a lost cause.

If you want to trade in this world you have to follow the rules of who ever has got the biggest stick wins. Christians haven't anymore.

Its not just Christians "control the behaviour". you can substitute: the Rich,The middle classes, the Politicians, teachers, the police, the media, the judiciary, the local authority, In fact any one who thinks they can get away with it.

That's just the way it is.

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟246,440.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Matthew 5:11-12
“Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you"

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
lismore said:
Matthew 5:11-12 "Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you"
Just make sure it is "because of me", not because you're being a dill.

I'm not sure not-able-to-do-whatever-I-want-with-impunity counts as persecution, either.

Upvote 0

King Mob

Oct 19, 2012
✟15,968.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Matthew 5:11-12
“Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you"

Relax, it was nothing to do with him, it was simply because they are bigots.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums