Hong Kong
✟151,466.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
After all this time you still do not understand many American's love and obsession with guns? Where have you been? All we do around here is argue that guns in America should be controlled while rightists claim we need MORE guns with no regulation. GUNS, GUNS, GUNS....so many that it is disturbing.
I notice that many Amrricans have a the sad habit of
taking extreme positions that consist mainly of
daemonizing and making false accusations re
people the dont know or understand.

Im in an uninvolved bystander position re
how you guys carry on.
But im not without some exprrience in tbe USA.

Five years at NYU, travel to 20 or so states,
two long summrr stays at a big ranch in Wyoming.

So its not like ive only seen one side of America.
NYC of ourse hss every side of everything.

Me, personally-
I learned to shoot, observrd and heard a lot about guns in Wyoming.

I wish I'd had a chance to defend myself from a sexual
assault that ended my academic career and nearly my life.

I also wish every gun on earth were at the bottom of the ocean.

For your statements that are variously plain false or
wildly distorted Ive little respect, tho i wish- hope
you recognize you are doing it for effect, not as
statements of fact.

Though i must say the effect is bound to be quite different
from what you hoped for.

Re " willing to tolerate " its the same for crime, drugs,
dirty streets, bad schools, racism, corruption, pollution
and every other social ill. Including abuse of guns. cars, and divers other potentially harmful items.

Re harsh penalties for negligent storage,
which was the actual topic of my post, you
said nothing.

Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟151,466.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
The only thing I have on my vehicle is my military veteran status (plates, a couple of stickers). That's on the advice of my mother (an Army wife) 'way back when I first enlisted, who told me, "When you're traveling across the country, always have your uniform hanging in the back in case the police stop you." I think it's worked for me. Once I was stopped by an officer who caught me wandering a bit on the road one late night. The officer asked, "Are you the veteran?" I showed him my retired ID, and he said, "Thank you for your service. Stop somewhere and get some sleep."

My practice is always to have my firearm on my person. If I'm in an accident or any other situation, I'll always know where it is: On my person instead of having been ejected from the vehicle at some point during the accident.
Ha, getting profiled for being in the service!

I got profiled in the USA when I was stopped in
traffic.

I was 22 yrs old. But im like 4 ft 11 in tall.

Trooper smiled and asked, " Are you old
enough to drive?" But with a nice smile.
I said i was 63 as I gave him my license.

Turned out my friend who loaned me the car for the day had not put the new sticker on license- plate.
It was still on the thing by the seat.

He showed me where to put it while we chatted.

Looking very innocent and harmless gets that kind of profiling.

Upvote 0

Avniel

Doing my part each day by being the best me
Jun 11, 2010
Bronx NYC
✟38,941.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I notice that many Amrricans have a the sad habit of
taking extreme positions that consist mainly of
daemonizing and making false accusations re
people the dont know or understand.

Im in an uninvolved bystander position re
how you guys carry on.
But im not without some exprrience in tbe USA.

Five years at NYU, travel to 20 or so states,
two long summrr stays at a big ranch in Wyoming.

So its not like ive only seen one side of America.
NYC of ourse hss every side of everything.

Me, personally-
I learned to shoot, observrd and heard a lot about guns in Wyoming.

I wish I'd had a chance to defend myself from a sexual
assault that ended my academic career and nearly my life.

I also wish every gun on earth were at the bottom of the ocean.

For your statements that are variously plain false or
wildly distorted Ive little respect, tho i wish- hope
you recognize you are doing it for effect, not as
statements of fact.

Though i must say the effect is bound to be quite different
from what you hoped for.

Re " willing to tolerate " its the same for crime, drugs,
dirty streets, bad schools, racism, corruption, pollution
and every other social ill. Including abuse of guns. cars, and divers other potentially harmful items.

Re harsh penalties for negligent storage,
which was the actual topic of my post, you
said nothing.
I agree, I’ve been stabbed twice, I was robbed at gun point once and fired on once. I’ve mentored children that are men now that are incarcerated for murder and children that have been killed as young as 14. During the times I was victimized I wish I had a way to defend myself.

If they took every gun in America and destroyed them, I’d freely support it and would donate mine as well. The war on drugs was a failure and should have been adjusted to the war on illegal firearms then the conversation on gun control would be more realistic.

Where I live in is a very liberal and well to do suburban area. When I go to the grocery store, I do not check to make sure my firearm is in the car. However when I travel to Jackson, a crime ridden city I would be a poor steward of my own body if I did not. I find that notion sad, it’s not a good feeling understanding that reality.

I’ve traveled a bit and in my travels I’ve felt safer in some 3rd world countries than I did in New York City. In certain cities there’s an are or be ate mentality, either your a victim or you’re the monster. In those area it’s not an obsession with guns but a needed tool to ensure you can make it home.

I think there’s a real lack of empathy towards the struggles of law abiding citizens in poverty areas and those that earn a living in those areas. Most people in the worst project building in Chicago, LA or Atlanta are people that obey the law, a small percentage control the area with their guns.

Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟151,466.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
I agree, I’ve been stabbed twice, I was robbed at gun point once and fired on once. I’ve mentored children that are men now that are incarcerated for murder and children that have been killed as young as 14. During the times I was victimized I wish I had a way to defend myself.

If they took every gun in America and destroyed them, I’d freely support it and would donate mine as well. The war on drugs was a failure and should have been adjusted to the war on illegal firearms then the conversation on gun control would be more realistic.

Where I live in is a very liberal and well to do suburban area. When I go to the grocery store, I do not check to make sure my firearm is in the car. However when I travel to Jackson, a crime ridden city I would be a poor steward of my own body if I did not. I find that notion sad, it’s not a good feeling understanding that reality.

I’ve traveled a bit and in my travels I’ve felt safer in some 3rd world countries than I did in New York City. In certain cities there’s an are or be ate mentality, either your a victim or you’re the monster. In those area it’s not an obsession with guns but a needed tool to ensure you can make it home.

I think there’s a real lack of empathy towards the struggles of law abiding citizens in poverty areas and those that earn a living in those areas. Most people in the worst project building in Chicago, LA or Atlanta are people that obey the law, a small percentage control the area with their guns.
Such diffrtent lives!
I live in Repulse Bay, Hong Kong in a nice
flat I inherited. Ive lived a super sheltered life !

Too shelteted I guess....

After, I had a, lets see, Smith and Wesson
Ladysmith .38 special calibre revolver 2 inches
barrel with brushed Stainless steel finish and rosewood
handles.

Of courde i left it in usa, suprr illegal here.

Like drugs. Seven years for use, life for dealing.

Gun, drug, illegal resident problem is near zero

Upvote 0

Avniel

Jun 11, 2010
Bronx NYC
✟38,941.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Such diffrtent lives!
I live in Repulse Bay, Hong Kong in a nice
flat I inherited. Ive lived a super sheltered life !

Too shelteted I guess....

After, I had a, lets see, Smith and Wesson
Ladysmith .38 special calibre revolver 2 inches
barrel with brushed Stainless steel finish and rosewood
handles.

Of courde i left it in usa, suprr illegal here.

Like drugs. Seven years for use, life for dealing.

Gun, drug, illegal resident problem is near zero
My father is a physician, I’ve gone to nothing but private schools. I lived in New York and I never fit in at the private schools but I never fit in my grandparent’s neighborhood. After I graduated from
a HBCU I believed that I could impact my grandparent’s community by living there, helping the people. That help often times was viewed as weakness.

One time I did get stabbed in the club during college, I think that was mostly my mouth truthfully. The other time it was from a “friend” I knew since 8 or 9 from visiting my grandparents. There were times I gave his children Christmas, he stole from me and I cut off the friendship. He saw me and tried to rob me I fought back. The time I was robbed at gun point, it was really a home invasion over a sofa. I was moving and couldn’t take it with me. I knew a guy that had a baby on the way so I called him for it, a friend complained and I canceled giving it to him and gave it to my friend instead. That lead to people coming into my apartment and putting a gun to my head.

When I was younger I was very naive. My degree in political science I believe made me very idealistic. I wasn’t very realistic when it came to poverty mindsets.

My heart is still pan-African, give back to the community and build programs; it just isn’t real, it’s childish. It’s sad a lot of poor communities in America have that sort of mentality. I went to Kingston Jamaica and probably handed out 2k USD, I was treated very well while there. It’s almost like the kinder you are the weaker they see you here.

Since I’ve stopped being so giving, I haven’t had an issue. Can’t hand feed sharks.

• Friendly
Reactions: Estrid
Upvote 0

Avniel

Jun 11, 2010
Bronx NYC
✟38,941.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Where did you go in NYC? and when?
I lived in nyc so pretty much all over. I’ve heard Brooklyn and Harlem have changed but so did the price. I’ve heard in the Bronx even Pelham parkway is bad now. Queens is still very bad. 1986 - 2018

Upvote 0