Aussies!

I've invaded Australia, too! BWAHAHAHA.

Please inform my ignorant self what Australia's like. I hear you've gotta lotta kangaroos and wallabees (SP??), some sharks, snakes and other scary critters, and desert. You must be having your winter right now, since you're in the southern hemisphere.

When I think of Australia, I also think of Crocodile Dundee, Russell Crowe, Foster's beer, and Outback Steakhouse.

You've got Aboriginees (sp??) and New Zealand. Some Asian folks seem to have emigrated there, too :). Your accents sound British, but are a bit different. I hear that Australia used to be where they sent criminals from Britain (not saying you guys are necessarily descendents of criminals, or criminals yourselves; just what I've heard).

Hmmm... what else?

-=Burnt Toast=-

Got Stairs?
Jul 25, 2003
A Cardboard Box
✟1,165.00
Faith
Christian
oh dear... please do your self a favour and forget croc dundee :) he sure aint a "real" aussie. You get some of the crazy accents in the outback, but generally we are much like america in the suburban aspects. Yeah we were settled by the brits in the 1700's but some parts, such as south australia was colonised by free settlers that includes germans duch, etc etc... Most of the asian people are living in the northernb turist districts of australia... so its almost considered a part of asia :D Winter can get pretty cold, no snow tho in the plains...you lucky americans!

Upvote 0

Brain Damage

Generally Medicated
Nov 14, 2002
Visit site
✟18,745.00
Faith
Christian
No we don't have accents...but everyone else does. :)

I think the criminal element is still in most of us . I don't know if this happens elsewhere but when driving your car if you should pass a speed camera , it is polite and customary to flash your headlights to the oncoming traffic to warn them of the evil speed camera that lays ahead. :clap: ...LOL

Upvote 0

Icystwolf

Jul 5, 2003
Sydney
✟2,596.00
Faith
Calvinist
psycmajor said:
Your accents sound British, but are a bit different. I hear that Australia used to be where they sent criminals from Britain (not saying you guys are necessarily descendents of criminals, or criminals yourselves; just what I've heard).

A bit different? Are you serious?
.....NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

We sound nothing like Bri-ish. I think the irish and scottish accents are the best, whilst the not soo good accent I rate down would be NZ accent....but then thats because I'm an australian...lol....NZ'ers would say Aussie accents are the worst as well...lol....

I think the accent is probably from the rough talk from the criminals.

Americans-God bless America
British- God bless the Queen
Aussies- God bless Freedom and the sea that seperates us from the kiwis
NZ- God bless kiwi fruit and the sea that seperates us from the aussies
Hippies- Pot bless fire

LOL...only kiddin....we like NZer's here...just not in rugby time!

Upvote 0

AntiCow

oom oom oom
Jun 24, 2003
Melbourne
Visit site
✟9,885.00
Faith
Christian
psycmajor said:
I've invaded Australia, too! BWAHAHAHA.

Please inform my ignorant self what Australia's like. I hear you've gotta lotta kangaroos and wallabees (SP??), some sharks, snakes and other scary critters, and desert. You must be having your winter right now, since you're in the southern hemisphere.

When I think of Australia, I also think of Crocodile Dundee, Russell Crowe, Foster's beer, and Outback Steakhouse.

You've got Aboriginees (sp??) and New Zealand. Some Asian folks seem to have emigrated there, too :). Your accents sound British, but are a bit different. I hear that Australia used to be where they sent criminals from Britain (not saying you guys are necessarily descendents of criminals, or criminals yourselves; just what I've heard).

Hmmm... what else?

Anyone else here can speak for themselves, but I *am* a descendant of a convict. Woo hoo!

Anyways, you may want to check out http://www.toxiccustard.com/australia/. Its rather amusing.

Upvote 0

Blessed-one

a long journey ahead
Jan 30, 2002
Australia
Visit site
✟25,777.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
and New Zealand is not part of Australia.

don't worry psycmajor, i think us living in Aust are just fed up with the misconception people get about Australia... some actually think we have kangaroos jumping unchecked in the streets!! (though what streets they're imagining is pretty obvious)
-=Burnt Toast=- said:
oh dear... please do your self a favour and forget croc dundee :) he sure aint a "real" aussie. You get some of the crazy accents in the outback, but generally we are much like america in the suburban aspects. Yeah we were settled by the brits in the 1700's but some parts, such as south australia was colonised by free settlers that includes germans duch, etc etc... Most of the asian people are living in the northernb turist districts of australia... so its almost considered a part of asia :D Winter can get pretty cold, no snow tho in the plains...you lucky americans!

lol!! my bro got that once, and lucky he got warned, otherwise he'd have gotten a warning from the official for sure!

ya! there's an Italian suburb here in Sydney as well. :D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DavidPartay

Oct 7, 2002
Australia
✟8,070.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Steve Irwin is NOT a stereotypical Australian
Nobody drinks Fosters
Paul Hogan is the American perception of an Australian materialised.
Australians are the ONLY country with the proper accent ;).
Australians do NOT talk like Americans who are trying to put on an Australian accent ;)

Upvote 0

RaptureTicketHolder

Selectively Agreeable
Jun 24, 2003
Puget Sound Area
Visit site
✟15,758.00
Faith
Non-Denom
g'day all!

I lived in Aus for just over 2 years in Exmouth, Western Australia. My #1 son was born in Perth - Subiaco, actually.

Most interesting experience. I would go to visit again, but most likely not live there. My arm would have to be twisted a bit to stay longer than a holiday.

:)

Upvote 0

Ben Reid

May 31, 2002
Sydney
Visit site
✟8,347.00
Brain Damage said:

I think the criminal element is still in most of us . I don't know if this happens elsewhere but when driving your car if you should pass a speed camera , it is polite and customary to flash your headlights to the oncoming traffic to warn them of the evil speed camera that lays ahead. :clap: ...LOL

Good call!!! We love getting people out of police-fines if we feel it isn't anything serious.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tami

Your friendly neighborhood FUNdie at your service!
Oct 8, 2002
Visit site
✟8,668.00
Faith
Protestant
Brain Damage said:

We have a system kinda like that in America, too. If there's a cop parked waiting to catch people speeding or if there's a cop anywhere in the vicinity, sometimes people will flash their headlights at you to let you know to be on alert because a cop is lurking. I don't know if that's what people do all over America but I know that people do that around where I live. I've heard we have speed cameras in some parts of America but I've never seen one myself. I don't think there are any around where I live. I've heard they can catch you speeding on the camera and mail you a ticket. How convenient that must be.

Tami

Upvote 0

Brain Damage

Generally Medicated
Nov 14, 2002
Visit site
✟18,745.00
Faith
Christian
Tami said:
I've heard we have speed cameras in some parts of America but I've never seen one myself. I don't think there are any around where I live. I've heard they can catch you speeding on the camera and mail you a ticket. How convenient that must be.

LOL...Very convenient Tami , i've had a few. :(

Upvote 0