Dec 29, 2004
✟175,447.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'm puzzed as to why you would actually be surprised that you found the flavor of religious exercise that appealed to your sensibilities? The very force behind all these variations of religious exercise and doctrinal distinctives is what spawned all these different flavors of religion.....something for everyone.....well, almost everyone.....

BTW

I was through with Christianity. Actually, one of the reasons I was through with Christianity was because of these different flavors of religion and something for everyone (doctrines of man anyone?). Not all groups could be right and the fact that they were okay with their often contradictory beliefs and still accepted other groups who believed different things was not alright with me. God isn't the author of confusion.

Upvote 0

tansy

Jan 12, 2008
✟43,007.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was through with Christianity. Actually, one of the reasons I was through with Christianity was because of these different flavors of religion and something for everyone (doctrines of man anyone?). Not all groups could be right and the fact that they were okay with their often contradictory beliefs and still accepted other groups who believed different things was not alright with me. God isn't the author of confusion.

Of course, in some areas one has a greater or lesser choice of churches, especially if one doesn't have a car.

For example, even if , say I wanted to be EO, so far as I'm aware there's not one here, and I live in a city. Near me, within walking or cycling distance, there aARE quite a few though (although a few are small with an elderly congregation). Near me there's Methodist, Baptist, Catholic, Anglican, a church consisting mainly of people of African origin (not sur what denom, if any), also a (I think,) Pentecostally or Charismatic type one, and one that meets in a school hall, which I haven't got round to trying out yet.
And there are also loads of Skh, Hindu and Muslim people around here (maybe that's one of the reasons why a few church buildings round here have closed over the years, because obviously those people wouldn't normally be going to church)

Upvote 0

BeforeThereWas

Seasoned Warrior
Mar 14, 2005
Midwest City, OK
✟10,560.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

Ok, let's dredge even deeper into this, shall we?

Your claim that the stability of your faith in God was based upon the continuity, or lack thereof, within the various religuious sects......well......that's very shabby sounding. I hope you can appreciate how shallow that sounds. You're basically blaming everyone else for the weaknesses in your own belief system. Why would any reasonable, thinking individual base their standing within eternity future upon the fickleness of various people who hold strange and contradictory beliefs about various doctrines?

The final analysis leads to only one conclusion: Your faith wasn't rooted in Christ Jesus. It was rooted within the rudiments of man-made religion.

The implications point at the fact that you need to get a grip on where your faith lies.

Is it in Christ, or is it in the perpetual instabilities of human nature? Orthodoxy isn't any more stable than any other religious approach to an understanding of the One who is above all religion.

You see, my faith is rooted in Christ Jesus, and no matter how freakish religious church organizations become, or already are, I will not be shaken. None of them can dethrone Christ from my life, no matter what they do.

I've survived so-called pastors who were found to be wife-swappers, and who didn't think they should step down. I've survived so-called pastors who are right now in prison for money laundering for Columbian drug cartel members.

Does that help give you a higher perspective?

Does it challenge your sensibilities and emotions?

Does it help you to discover where your faith truly rests?

BTW

Reactions: sunlover1
Upvote 0

New_Wineskin

Contributor
Jun 26, 2004
Elizabethtown , PA , usa
✟13,854.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I just wondered how many of you attend church regularly or are a member of a church.

If not, what are your reasons, if you don't mind stating them? (Other than ill-health or physical reason why you are unable to attend)

I'm not a member of a church at the moment, though am loosely connected with one and attend a bible study intermittently, and also another church meeting (not a church service as such).
This is partly because we have moved a lot the last few years and everything has been very unsettled. Also am not totally sure where God would have me at the moment.

I'm curious in particular as to how many people feel that God has led them out of the church at the moment (or if he ever has for a period of time). That's not to say having no Christian contact at all, but maybe rather from church institutions. I've met quite a lot of people who are in this position, and wonder just how common it is.

Sorry. this was supposed to be a poll, but I took too long doing it, so it didn't go through. Not to worry,

I am beginning to become more curious as to why people ask others why they *don't* do something . It seems to presume that people should do that something . So , my question would be ... Does not attending a religious club send one to hell ? If not , then does it really matter why one doesn't do so . If it does , then attending is earning salvation by works of the flesh - Jesus has died for nothing .

Back to the main question ... what you call "church attendance" , I call "club meetings" . None of those groups calling themselves "churches" are actually such as they distinguish themselves from others . Not so , the one tru Church . Jesus places all of His children in that Church . There is no attendance or nonattendance . Those in the Church *are* the Church - always - wherever and whenever we are .

Upvote 0

tansy

Jan 12, 2008
✟43,007.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am beginning to become more curious as to why people ask others why they *don't* do something . It seems to presume that people should do that something . So , my question would be ... Does not attending a religious club send one to hell ? If not , then does it really matter why one doesn't do so . If it does , then attending is earning salvation by works of the flesh - Jesus has died for nothing .

Back to the main question ... what you call "church attendance" , I call "club meetings" . None of those groups calling themselves "churches" are actually such as they distinguish themselves from others . Not so , the one tru Church . Jesus places all of His children in that Church . There is no attendance or nonattendance . Those in the Church *are* the Church - always - wherever and whenever we are .

I wasn't asking the question because I personally thought people shoild or should not do anything. It was more from the angle that, in my experience, one is led to believe that that one "shoul" attend church or be a member of one. Particularly as, when I was a child I went to the Catholic church and school, and got the impression it was a sin not to go to Mass, unless one were ill or something like that.

I was also interested to know whether God DOES on occasion, lead people away from "formal" church for a greater or lesser period of time (though they may still meet up informally with other believers), or may be part of a parachurch organisation.
I wonder if there are many more Christians "out" of church than "in" than one might think - that is not a condemnation of anyone. As I said I do not do so myself at the moment, for a mixture of reasons. That's not to say things won't change in the future. The responses given so far have been interesting. And certainly not attending church IMO doesn't change anyone's status with God or anything.

Upvote 0

New_Wineskin

Contributor
Jun 26, 2004
Elizabethtown , PA , usa
✟13,854.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Particularly as, when I was a child I went to the Catholic church and school, and got the impression it was a sin not to go to Mass, unless one were ill or something like that.

Not just a sin ... a "mortal" sin - you would go to hell if you missed one . You could be at mass every day for 40 years except for one . If that one day was a Sunday or day of "obligation" , you would be heading for hell unless ready to admit and confess it was a sin worthy of hell . I was raised Catholic , as well .

I understood that you were not condemning anyone .

Upvote 0

katholikos

Aug 29, 2008
United States
✟6,027.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
...I was raised Catholic , as well....

Then you should understand the mitigating factors regarding mortal sin. For example, if you are a doctor and need to work the emergency room on Sunday, missing mass is not a mortal sin.

Ex-Catholics seem to misunderstand Catholic teachings even worse than protestants.

Upvote 0

tansy

Jan 12, 2008
✟43,007.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Then you should understand the mitigating factors regarding mortal sin. For example, if you are a doctor and need to work the emergency room on Sunday, missing mass is not a mortal sin.

Ex-Catholics seem to misunderstand Catholic teachings even worse than protestants.

Yes, that's why I've been reading some of thwe Catholic threads with interest, in case I've misunderstood anything.
So that IS the Catholic position then, that it is a (mortal) sin to miss mass for no good reason?
If possible, could a Catholic verify that, and also what basis they have for asserting that (I don't understand the reasoning behind it, or the scriptural basis).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

annrobert

Jesus is my Shelter my Refuge my Fortress
Jan 24, 2009
Canada
✟17,269.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When Jesus was addressing the churches in revelations He was addressing different groups of christians from different places not buildings.

a small or large group of christians assembling themselves together is what is called for , no matter how many or where they gather together to meet.

Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching

Jesus said where two or three are gathered together in My Name there am I in the midst of them.

I think assembling together should be for edifying and encouraging and building each other up.

for praying together as they did in acts
for worshipping together.
for bearing each other burdens.
for helping the weak.
for asking for prayer from the elders and to be annointed with oil.that the prayer of faith may save the sick and if he has committed sins they shall be forgiven him.

to go out to the highways and bi ways and hedges and compel the halt the weak, the maimed ,the lame, the shattered to come in and be ministered to.
to read the scriptures.
to confess our faults one to another and pray for one another that we may be healed.
To exhort one another.
I do not think it has to be a building either just so long as we meet together.
I think love should be in the group assembling together as described in 1 corinthians chapter 13.
Jesus said this is my commandment that ye love one another that your joy may be full.
We should also share in the Lords supper together til He comes.
we should serve one another as Jesus taught us.
I do not think it matters how big the group is assembling together.
I only attend church occasionally.
This is just some of my thoughts on assembling together ,I could be wrong.
annrobert

Upvote 0

BeforeThereWas

Seasoned Warrior
Mar 14, 2005
Midwest City, OK
✟10,560.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I think assembling together should be for edifying and encouraging and building each other up.
for helping the weak.
for asking for prayer from the elders and to be annointed with oil.that the prayer of faith may save the sick and if he has committed sins they shall be forgiven him.

Interestingly, the only features allowed within institutionalized religion are what those people think is worship, as well as singing and entertainment. So many people lump together the terms praise and worship as if they were synonymous. It's almost as if they worship.....worship.....or at least what they THINK is worship.

I often marvel that so many assume they can walk into a place and turn on the switch of worship like they would a light in their house. They fail to realize that if they aren't living a life of worship, every moment of their daily lives, then they certainly aren't going to walk into a special purpose building and contrive anything that's acceptable before the Lord, no matter how many warm fuzzies they experience in the process.

Mutual edification is actually the biblical purpose for the gathering. Institutionalized religion has robbed the average believer of that birthright, and the people themselves don't seem to care. They spend most of their time enjoying the pastor-centric nature of religious exercise.

Blessedly, we're not forced into that by way of governmental mandate through a state sanctioned religion......at least, not yet.

The day is soon coming when the freedom to exercise spiritual midiocrity will come to an end.

BTW

Reactions: tansy
Upvote 0

Darerca

my all for you Lord
Mar 10, 2009
✟7,781.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
When Jesus was addressing the churches in revelations He was addressing different groups of christians from different places not buildings.

a small or large group of christians assembling themselves together is what is called for , no matter how many or where they gather together to meet.

Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching

Jesus said where two or three are gathered together in My Name there am I in the midst of them.

for helping the weak.

to go out to the highways and bi ways and hedges and compel the halt the weak, the maimed ,the lame, the shattered to come in and be ministered to.
to read the scriptures.
to confess our faults one to another and pray for one another that we may be healed.
To exhort one another.
I do not think it has to be a building either just so long as we meet together.
I think love should be in the group assembling together as described in 1 corinthians chapter 13.
Jesus said this is my commandment that ye love one another that your joy may be full.
We should also share in the Lords supper together til He comes.
we should serve one another as Jesus taught us.
I do not think it matters how big the group is assembling together.
I only attend church occasionally.
This is just some of my thoughts on assembling together ,I could be wrong.
annrobert
Beautiful annrobert. And you expressed it wonderfully. :)

Upvote 0

New_Wineskin

Contributor
Jun 26, 2004
Elizabethtown , PA , usa
✟13,854.00
Faith
Non-Denom

And , catholic appologists understand ordinary catholics the least among them all .

The example I gave has no mitigating circumstances . Someone goes to mass evryday for years but one day of obligation - anywhere in there ... they are headed to hell unless they agree that it is sin with the desire to confess . The point was that they go all that time far beyond the requirements but miss one - only one - and that's it .

I understand it completely .

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

annrobert

Jesus is my Shelter my Refuge my Fortress
Jan 24, 2009
Canada
✟17,269.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Interestingly, the only features allowed within institutionalized religion are what those people think is worship, as well as singing and entertainment. So many people lump together the terms praise and worship as if they were synonymous. It's almost as if they worship.....worship.....or at least what they THINK is worship.

I often marvel that so many assume they can walk into a place and turn on the switch of worship like they would a light in their house. They fail to realize that if they aren't living a life of worship, every moment of their daily lives, then they certainly aren't going to walk into a special purpose building and contrive anything that's acceptable before the Lord, no matter how many warm fuzzies they experience in the process.

Mutual edification is actually the biblical purpose for the gathering. Institutionalized religion has robbed the average believer of that birthright, and the people themselves don't seem to care. They spend most of their time enjoying the pastor-centric nature of religious exercise.

Blessedly, we're not forced into that by way of governmental mandate through a state sanctioned religion......at least, not yet.

The day is soon coming when the freedom to exercise spiritual midiocrity will come to an end.

BTW

Amen, BeforeThereWas
This gives us much to think about.
Thanks tansy and Darerca
God Bless
annrobert

Upvote 0

Rajni

☯ Ego ad Eum pertinent ☯
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2007
Visit site
✟1,248,873.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single

BTW

Good points, BTW.
When coupled with the admonition in Matthew 6 to pray in secret rather than making a public display of it, I'm pretty much convinced that the way we "do church" (reporting to a building on Sunday and all that goes with that) needs an overhaul.

Praise and Worship - which are, IMO, kinds of praying - can be done without making a public performance out of it, every day of the week and not just on Sundays in a building designed for just that purpose.

Upvote 0

BeforeThereWas

Seasoned Warrior
Mar 14, 2005
Midwest City, OK
✟10,560.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Good points, BTW.
When coupled with the admonition in Matthew 6 to pray in secret rather than making a public display of it, I'm pretty much convinced that the way we "do church" (reporting to a building on Sunday and all that goes with that) needs an overhaul.

Praise and Worship - which are, IMO, kinds of praying - can be done without making a public performance out of it, every day of the week and not just on Sundays in a building designed for just that purpose.

The worldly nature of religion continues to openly exhibit its ugly nature. All the adulterous preachers like Todd Bentley out there, all the wife-swappers, money-launderers, all the closet-homosexual preachers out there keep showing the world to what lower regions of depravity institutionalized religion can sink. Where's the discernment?

Institutionalized religion can be a tool for good and benevolence, but it's many, many inferiorities are rarely ever given one thought by those who support it with their primary giving and energies.

This won't change until those things are forcefully taken from the masses, and twisted into something more grotesque than it already is.

BTW

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.