Atheist calls for the obliteration of all religion.

mwb

Senior Veteran
Dec 3, 2005
✟11,020.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You do realize that the morals of the Bible aren't the only "correct" morals out there, don't you? Wake up and smell the coffee. Just because someone has different morals than you do does not mean that those morals are "wrong" or "bad." It just means that they're different.
I'm curious of how many sets of morals there are out there. I would like a specific example. Real life examples, not abortion doctor killers or Pat Robertson followers. These are extreme. Most people, incuding myself, do not relate to these people.

When is it ok to cheat on your spouse? When is it ok to use people for your own selfish benefit? When is it ok to lie, cheat or steal?

Upvote 0

HannahBanana

Dec 11, 2006
Concord, MA
✟12,558.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm curious of how many sets of morals there are out there. I would like a specific example. Real life examples, not abortion doctor killers or Pat Robertson followers. These are extreme. Most people, incuding myself, do not relate to these people.

When is it ok to cheat on your spouse? When is it ok to use people for your own selfish benefit? When is it ok to lie, cheat or steal?
Well I, for one, tend to base my morals on what seems the most logical to me. I am a liberal, so I am for gay marriage, abortion rights, religious diversity, etc., and all of those things can be factually proven to be non-harmful to society at large, and, since facts are logical, I find those things to be morally okay with me. I do not know why I cannot seem to accept those things which are not logical (the Bible and other "mythical" holy books are a good example). It seems to be an inbred trait, one which I cannot change no matter how hard I try (and believe me, I've tried many times to believe in religion).

As for cheating, using people, and stealing, I don't think that those things are ever okay, but not because the Bible says they aren't. Rather, I don't think those things are okay because they are taboo in our society. Maybe our society is based upon Christian doctrine, but the point is, I'm not looking directly to the Bible for my morals on those issues.

Lying, in my opinion, is fine, as long as it's a "white lie" and as long as it doesn't get out of control.

Hopefully this was the sort of answer you were looking for. Let me know if you want me to explain anything further and I will. :)

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,731.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

Golden Rule is the standard you strive for.
Silver Rule is a good way to have a peaceful society.
Brass Rule should only be applied by a collective, preferrably a constitutionally based government.

Upvote 0

OttawaUk

Veteran
Mar 13, 2005
Ottawa, Canada
✟9,624.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

HannahBanana

Dec 11, 2006
Concord, MA
✟12,558.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
CA,

Again, the Bible is not a book about suggested "moral living". The Bible is God's love letter to us and a stern warning that we all need a Saviour because we are unrighteous sinners.

Read this message again.

http://www.christianforums.com/showpost.php?p=31489117&postcount=99

OU
I read that message, and I still hold the same viewpoint. If the Bible weren't all about morals, then there would be no rules for living a "righteous" life located therein. You can call it what you want, and make it seem as appealing as you wish, but I still will not be able to believe in it (if getting me to convert was your ultimate goal, that is).

Upvote 0

OttawaUk

Veteran
Mar 13, 2005
Ottawa, Canada
✟9,624.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Nowhere in my message nor the Bible does it say its possible to live a "righteous" life.

The Bible clearly says none of us are righteous because of our sin, so we need a Saviour.

We're talking about the eternal destination of souls here, not joining a club.

God Bless,
OU

Upvote 0

HannahBanana

Dec 11, 2006
Concord, MA
✟12,558.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Nowhere in my message nor the Bible does it say its possible to live a "righteous" life.

The Bible clearly says none of us are righteous because of our sin, so we need a Saviour.

We're talking about the eternal destination of souls here, not joining a club.

God Bless,
OU
I can't really get into this right now as I'm leaving for an appointment. But I'm sorry I misinterpreted your post.

Upvote 0

JoyJuice

Senior Veteran
Aug 8, 2006
✟20,965.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0