Indianapolis
✟6,078.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
This is a very iffy topic. If your terminal meaning you are gonna die and your in pain and want it to in I fully understand and accept that. I also see the danger in it. I think it would have to be a case by case deal and It would need signed of by at least doctors to avoid abuse of the service. Now for the religious issue, I have never read a line in the bible that says suicide means you go to hell...if its there show me. If your terminal your already dead...its just a matter of how much your gonna suffer before you die. I do not believe god would want anyone who is dying to suffer unnecessarily.

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
This is a very iffy topic. If your terminal meaning you are gonna die and your in pain and want it to in I fully understand and accept that. I also see the danger in it. I think it would have to be a case by case deal and It would need signed of by at least doctors to avoid abuse of the service. Now for the religious issue, I have never read a line in the bible that says suicide means you go to hell...if its there show me. If your terminal your already dead...its just a matter of how much your gonna suffer before you die. I do not believe god would want anyone who is dying to suffer unnecessarily.
Assisted suicide is also called murder. Aside from the question of whether someone who suicides goes to hell or not there is the question of what happens to the person who inflicts it on them.

Upvote 0

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟933,038.00
Faith
Atheist
Upvote 0

Reluctant Theologian

אַבְרָהָם
Jul 13, 2021
QLD
✟71,408.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I happen to live in a country where assisted suicide (aka euthanasia) is legal. In some cases as a believer I have some understanding for it to relief unspeakable suffering in situations where death is just around the corner basically. For me personally my stance on euthanasia is different from e.g. abortion. Abortion is taking someone else's life who can't decide (the baby) - murder, euthanasia is about your own life.

Still, all life is from God, so anything should not be taken lightly.

However there are also many cases here where I think the person needs healing/delivery instead of assisted death; sometimes I stumble upon heart-wrenching stories that just cry out for God's intervention. Especially the cases where just mental health issues are sufficient to be granted assisted suicide. It makes me very, very sad sometimes.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,374.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Now for the religious issue, I have never read a line in the bible that says suicide means you go to hell...if its there show me.
I guess if there is no line in the Bible against it you will just have to try it and see what happens. Do a little experiment. But if you are wrong, and one of the ten commandments, the one against murder, applies to murdering yourself after all, then it's a bit late to reverse the experiment.

For the record, I in no way advocate for anyone ever committing suicide, assisted or not, experiment or not. So consider this a thought experiment only. Would Jesus approve of it? Where in the Bible, even one line, is there a hint of approval? Without that would you be so daring as to try it?

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,374.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I happen to live in a country where assisted suicide (aka euthanasia) is legal. In some cases as a believer I have some understanding for it to relief unspeakable suffering in situations where death is just around the corner basically. For me personally my stance on euthanasia is different from e.g. abortion. Abortion is taking someone else's life who can't decide (the baby) - murder, euthanasia is about your own life.

That would be my point. Where do we get the right to take ANY human life? Our own included.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Reluctant Theologian

אַבְרָהָם
Jul 13, 2021
QLD
✟71,408.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That would be my point. Where do we get the right to take ANY human life? Our own included.
Good point, but the issue here is that there is a very explicit prohibition in the Ten Words about not taking someone else's life, but not so much explicitness about taking your own life. So while I fully understand the hesitation for taking your own, I also recognise there's a big difference between the two categories.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,374.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Good point, but the issue here is that there is a very explicit prohibition in the Ten Words about not taking someone else's life, but not so much explicitness about taking your own life. So while I fully understand the hesitation for taking your own, I also recognise there's a big difference between the two categories.
Why? Must it be spelled out in Scripture that taking your own life is wrong when it's already spelled out that taking a life is wrong? And where is it that EVERYTHING is allowed unless it is specifically forbidden? I never got that. It seems made up to look at it that way.

Upvote 0

The Righterzpen

Jesus is my Shield in any Desert or Storm
Feb 9, 2019
Western NY
Visit site
✟144,607.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Now for the religious issue, I have never read a line in the bible that says suicide means you go to hell...if its there show me.
You are correct, there isn't one specific to suicide and though other's have interpreted it as "self murder"; and I'm not sure that's accurate either because "murder" in Scripture is defined as what we'd call "pre-meditated". And people usually commit suicide out of some form of desperation which is a different intention than premeditated killing of someone else. Despite, obviously there's the matter of choice involved in suicide.

As far as hell goes; suicide is also not "the unpardonable sin"; any more than a murderer or a murder victim would be exempted from their redemption had they become redeemed. There probably have been genuine believers who've killed themselves. That I wouldn't doubt.

Killing one's self; regardless of the reason is a difficult and very nuanced issue.

Reactions: Laodicean60
Upvote 0

R.Weeks79

Nov 17, 2023
Indianapolis
✟6,078.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Assisted suicide is also called murder. Aside from the question of whether someone who suicides goes to hell or not there is the question of what happens to the person who inflicts it on them.
Depends on the state or country your in, some states here in U.S. do allow it.

Upvote 0

R.Weeks79

Nov 17, 2023
Indianapolis
✟6,078.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

However there are also many cases here where I think the person needs healing/delivery instead of assisted death; sometimes I stumble upon heart-wrenching stories that just cry out for God's intervention. Especially the cases where just mental health issues are sufficient to be granted assisted suicide. It makes me very, very sad sometimes.
I have worked in nursing homes hospices, I have seen many prayers, I have never seen a terminal person get better. now I am sure there are 1 or 2 but 99% of the time terminal people die no matter how they pray. I personally believe god took a step back from humanity a while back. Man will succeed or fail on his own, How many times has god stepped in to help in the bible and everyone still screws it up. I thinks its up to mankind to chose there destiny

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,191,657.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Hopefully
Depends on the state or country your in, some states here in U.S. do allow it.
Ten states: Oregon, Washington, Montana, Vermont, California, Colorado, Washington, Hawai‘i, New Jersey, Maine, New Mexico and DC allow it. Hopefully it will be more widely available when I am of an age to need it.

Upvote 0

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟933,038.00
Faith
Atheist
Hopefully

Ten states: Oregon, Washington, Montana, Vermont, California, Colorado, Washington, Hawai‘i, New Jersey, Maine, New Mexico and DC allow it. Hopefully it will be more widely available when I am of an age to need it.
I hope we reach a point where I can write a living will that entails allowing my children to euthanize me if/when I suffer from dementia. (I don't think that'll happen in my remaining years, though.)

Upvote 0

R.Weeks79

Nov 17, 2023
Indianapolis
✟6,078.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I guess if there is no line in the Bible against it you will just have to try it and see what happens. Do a little experiment. But if you are wrong, and one of the ten commandments, the one against murder, applies to murdering yourself after all, then it's a bit late to reverse the experiment.

For the record, I in no way advocate for anyone ever committing suicide, assisted or not, experiment or not. So consider this a thought experiment only. Would Jesus approve of it? Where in the Bible, even one line, is there a hint of approval? Without that would you be so daring as to try it?
Well Samson Killed himself, many soilders in the bible took there own live
Hopefully

Ten states: Oregon, Washington, Montana, Vermont, California, Colorado, Washington, Hawai‘i, New Jersey, Maine, New Mexico and DC allow it. Hopefully it will be more widely available when I am of an age to need i

Hopefully

Well I have a living will and if I get cancer or something I can think of several painless way to go that I would use. I watched my mom die from cancer that is not a death I would suffer myself thru.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,656.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Well Samson Killed himself, many soilders in the bible took there own live
As did Henning von Tresckow, who was probably the center of German resistance to Hitler. His reasons for resistance and his final words make it quite clear he was Christian. His motive? He knew far too much and he wanted to make sure he could not point to others involved.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,962.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I object to the conflation of assisted suicide with "euthanasia." That can have pernicious consequences. "Euthanasia" is when someone else decides your life is not worth living and kills you, with or without your consent...it is not the same thing as "assisted suicide." We euthanize animals.

But if the laws are written to conflate the two, we wind up with laws permitting something people didn't intend.

Upvote 0