1. Visit AspiesCentral.com for more in-depth discussion related to Autism and Asperger's.
  2. Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting after you have posted 20 posts and have received 5 likes.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

3. Faith Options in Your User Profile
    Please click on the following regarding this important notice in Announcements:

Faith Options in Your User Profile.

Asperger's Syndrome and Ministry

Discussion in 'Autism & Aspergers' started by AspergersChristian555, May 24, 2009.

1. AspergersChristian555

AspergersChristian555 New Member

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Calvary-Chapel
    How can someone with Asperger's be effective in ministry? What kinds of ministry are best for someone with Asperger's? Can Aspies be pastors or overseas missionaries? While obviously Asperger's brings some struggles to trying to minister to people, can it help at times also? What is everyone here's experience?

Personally, I have found that God can use me in ministry. I have actually led two people through a prayer to accept Christ as their Savior and I have shared the gospel with several people.

Once again I might highlight the question should Aspies be overseas missionaries - that is what I actually want to do.

2. Sabertooth

Sabertooth Repartee Animal

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Charismatic
    Do you preach in that capacity or is it more counseling or administrative...?

3. AspergersChristian555

AspergersChristian555 New Member

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Calvary-Chapel

Oh I definitely do not have the gift of administrative tasks. Tough to stay organized and I usually focus on one thing at a time and get stuck on it. But I think I have the gift of preaching and I can sometimes give some good counsel to others. I'm not an official minister or anything. I'm a college guy, but I am exploring what I should do after graduation.

4. Sabertooth

Sabertooth Repartee Animal

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Charismatic
    So, as an Aspie you are able to connect with an NT audience or does being a different culture help in that regard? Or,... just a total reliance on God's grace; where we are weak, He is strong...?

5. elishasdad

elishasdad New Member

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Non-Denominational
    Sorry this is way late but I just found this website. I was a missionary in Nepal 10 years ago and was relatively close with another missionary who most certainly had Aspergers. He was a great missionary and had a beautiful family with 5 kids. So yes, you can certainly be a missionary if that is what God is calling you to do.

6. amberlight

amberlight Newbie

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Anglican
    There are lots of church leaders who are on the autism spectrum - whether it's people leading worship, people doing pastoral work, people running the choir or helping with the finance. There are evangelists and preachers and every other sort of leader. And plenty of others who are quiet or active members of the congregation, each bringing their own skills, love and prayer to God. Go with your heart, always.

7. dayhiker

dayhiker Mature veteran

Marital Status:
    In Relationship
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Charismatic
    I have lead Sunday School classes adn preached quite often for many years. Tho some have commented that I view things different than other pastors, they like my perspective. Since AS is a spectrum wether a person could be effective in minister depends on how AS is manifest in them and how much they have learned about how to love people. I don't think there is a rule that can tell one if they will be effective or not.

8. MoeSzyslak

MoeSzyslak Regular Member

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Eastern-Orthodox
    I have troubles with ministries at church. I also struggle with participating in small groups. Most sunday's I just drop the kids off for their service and then I go drink coffee. I am uncomfortable in the service. I don't understand the whole connections and interactions between the people. If I go in I usually am just an observer in the corner to the whole thing. It's really akward. It seems like there's all this stuff going on around me and I just don't get it.

But enough of me. If you feel called to oversea ministries, go for it. Thats awesome.

9. carlyle418

carlyle418 Proudly riding with the King's cavalry!

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Non-Denominational
    I'm very glad I found this. I'm new here, but I have wondered about other aspies in ministry. Like Moe, I'm very uncomfortable in church services, especially when the pastor has everyone greet each other and shake hands. Fortunately, I've finally found a church with a few ASD members and a pastor with some understanding of ASDs. The pastor has been a great help with some of the issues I struggle with in my faith.

As far as my thoughts on whether aspies can be effective in ministry, I agree with dayhiker. I would add that it is especially important for aspie leaders to surround themselves with people who can make up for their weaknesses. I would be interested in having an ongoing discussion specific to aspies in ministry. I would like to see how others have overcome their challenges.

10. MoeSzyslak

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Eastern-Orthodox
    My biggest obstacle in missions, which has gotten to the point where I am just about to quit trying, is that I am not wanted anywhere. Every sunday, the call goes out for volunteers. I always volunteer. I never get any replies from anybody heading up the ministry. I've seen them ask for volunteers, of which I do. Then a few weeks later they ask for volunteers again because there is still a need?? Sorry I am wierd and not popular enough. I know if I went to the pastor he would find a home for me, but I'm not going to force my way in. Now that I am thinking about it. I am done volunteering. If it was God's will the door would have been opened.

Sorry I am in a bad mood tonight.

11. carlyle418

carlyle418 Proudly riding with the King's cavalry!

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Non-Denominational
    Moe,

I've been thinking about what you said here for several days...

I'm inclined to agree that God will open the door if it's his will. I've been miserable in every ministry position I've ever volunteered for. I didn't volunteer for this motorcycle ministry - I was dragged into it. I didn't volunteer to be the chaplain for my chapter - I was appointed. I initially declined the presidency because I struggle with social anxiety. I finally agreed to do it if a certain well-spoken man could be VP. I should have known better, considering what happened to Moses, but my VP and I were elected by a unanimous vote.

That said, I understand the feeling that you are not wanted, but I wonder: is that reality, or is that your perception? I've expressed similar feelings to my wife, and she has often pointed out that my perception might be wrong. I still often feel I'm not wanted, but now that I've been elected president of a ministry organization, my wife has a lot of evidence for arguing that it's just my perception.

I pray that God will open a door for you into the ministry where you truly belong. I also pray that you won't let your perception get in the way of going through it. :)

12. MoeSzyslak

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Eastern-Orthodox
    There is probably some truth to that. If I was to be a third party observer it would probably look like a mixed bag.

The crew that is rebuilding the homeless shelter love me because there is nothing I can't do with my hands. I do it all; plumbing, electrical, roofing, carpentry, tyling. You name it, my hands do it. If not, give me a library book and 15 minutes.

Maybe I just have to focus on what I have and be more patient until the other doors open.

Thanks for the reminder.

13. GordyJ7

GordyJ7 Newbie

Marital Status:
    Single
    Politics:
    US-Libertarian
    Faith:
    Charismatic
    I am looking for ministry opportunities as well. I believe God creates us all uniquely, and uses us to advance His Kingdom in so many ways. I would love to do mission work, however it requires money, and that I do not have, and I don't really want to ask people for it. Is there a mission organization that pays??