Ask me questions about why I don't believe an omniscient & omnipotent God exists

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MetanoiaHeart

I am exploring Christianity. Others in the exploring Christianity section have had questions for me and I'm giving them a convenient place to ask.

Okay, but... "The Exploring Christianity forum is a place where non-Christians can come and ask Christians about their faith."

How is this thread in keeping with the purpose of this forum? I don't think it's inconvenient to ask you questions in the multiple threads you have already started. I also find it a bit off-putting when nonbelievers start threads for the basic purpose of discussing nonbelief instead of learning more about Christianity. Maybe it's just me, though.

Upvote 0

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Wait, let's turn this around. You base an awful lot on the premise of your thread title, but what I want to know is - why would anybody think G-d is omnipotent? He has limited His Power in many ways, primarily via giving us puny mortals dominion over the earth and everything in it.

He cannot lie
He will not fail
He does not change

These are some pretty major restrictions! So omnipotence is out. The Biblical concept we see is the MOST Powerful, and the Most High.

Next: omniscience is a little tougher. With the advent of quantum mechanics, we see that in the strictest sense it is irrational to think of G-d knowing absolutely everything.

Upvote 0

Cieza

Jul 3, 2011
Earth
✟1,225.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Wait, let's turn this around. You base an awful lot on the premise of your thread title, but what I want to know is - why would anybody think G-d is omnipotent? He has limited His Power in many ways, primarily via giving us puny mortals dominion over the earth and everything in it.

He cannot lie
He will not fail
He does not change

These are some pretty major restrictions! So omnipotence is out. The Biblical concept we see is the MOST Powerful, and the Most High.

Next: omniscience is a little tougher. With the advent of quantum mechanics, we see that in the strictest sense it is irrational to think of G-d knowing absolutely everything.
Also, in order for God to coexist with free will, then God has to be incapable of telling a free will agent what choices he/she will make prior to those choices being made. So you're right - God isn't fully omnipotent.

Upvote 0

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Also, in order for God to coexist with free will, then God has to be incapable of telling a free will agent what choices he/she will make prior to those choices being made. So you're right - God isn't fully omnipotent.

This statement is nonsensical; there is no "prior to."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Cieza

Jul 3, 2011
Earth
✟1,225.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
This statement is nonsensical; there is no "prior to."
Sorry, but you are incorrect.

From Pete's perspective:
Day 1: God knows what A/B choice Pete will make on Day 3
Day 3: Pete makes an unimpeded free choice between A or B.

As day 1 is prior to day 3, then God knew prior to Pete's choice of A or B what Pete would choose.

Upvote 0

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Sorry, but you are incorrect.

From Pete's perspective:
Day 1: God knows what A/B choice Pete will make on Day 3
Day 3: Pete makes an unimpeded free choice between A or B.

As day 1 is prior to day 3, then God knew prior to Pete's choice of A or B what Pete would choose.

Your confusion lies in being preoccupied with Pete's (your) perspective ;)

God knew the end from the beginning.

Upvote 0

drich0150

Mar 16, 2008
Florida
✟44,834.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Folks, I have created this thread specifically for others to ask me questions about why I don't believe an omniscient & omnipotent God exists. Feel free to ask any question you want and I'll do my best to answer each question.

their have been a great number of questions asked of you. why don't you go back and address them before boasting on your abilities in this thread?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.