Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Army blew up donated bodies

Story Tools

NEW ORLEANS, Louisiana (AP) -- Seven cadavers donated to Tulane University's medical school were sold to the Army and blown up in land mine experiments, officials said Wednesday. Tulane said it has suspended dealings with a national distributor of donated bodies.

Tulane receives up to 150 cadavers a year from donors but needs only between 40 and 45 for classes, said Mary Bitner Anderson, co-director of the Tulane School of Medicine's Willed Body Program.

The university paid National Anatomical Service, a New York-based company that distributes bodies nationwide, less than $1,000 a body to deliver surplus cadavers, thinking they were going to medical schools in need of corpses.

The anatomical services company sold seven cadavers to the Army for between $25,000 and $30,000, said Chuck Dasey, a spokesman for the Army's Medical Research and Materiel Command in Fort Detrick, Maryland. The bodies were blown up in tests on protective footwear against land mines at Fort Sam Houston in San Antonio.

Tulane said it found out about the Army's use of the bodies in January 2003. It suspended its contract with the anatomical services company this month. The company did not immediately return calls for comment.

"There is a legitimate need for medical research and cadavers are one of the models that help medical researchers find out valuable information," Dasey said. "Our position is that it is a regulated process. Obviously it makes some people uncomfortable."

Cadaver remains are routinely cremated, he added.

More of the story here,
http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/South/03/10/cadavers.military.test.ap/index.html

Hi, I think when donating your body I think the people that get you body should still treat it as a person and not just piece of meat.

Thanks, Robert.

ThePhoenix

Aug 12, 2003
✟5,476.00
Faith
Christian
It was to test protective footware (which is kinda stupid IMHO because you're not going to take a claymore with footware). Maybe against cheap mines? Eh, just ride the soldiers in Tanks. AT mines are usually pretty hard to pull off (and protective legware isn't going to help against those).

Eh, I digress. I'd have a problem with my body being used to test the effectiveness of weaponry, but to test the effectiveness of protective footware that will save people's legs/lives? I really wouldn't.

Upvote 0

praying

Snazzy Title Goes Here
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2004
New Jersey
✟86,040.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I bet their loved ones cared, and thought perhaps they would help life not the refinement of fighting wars.

To me it is no better than the bodies sold for money in CA. I think the famileis should have been contacted and aksed if they mind having there loved ones used mine testing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ThePhoenix

Aug 12, 2003
✟5,476.00
Faith
Christian
mhatten said:
I bet their loved ones cared, and thought perhaps they would help life not the refinement of fighting wars.

To me it is no better than the bodies sold for money in CA. I think the famileis should have been contacted and aksed if they mind having there loved ones used mine testing.
Well to be entirely honest they'd have to say "Protective footware testing" which actually has many non-military application (look at the UN Land Mine monitor to see how many places have a serious land mine problem. Protective boots could help in staking out and disarming those areas). Basically it's like having your body used to test body armor. Sure, you could say it's being used to test weaponry (since you're seeing if the weaponry will penetrate the body armor) but it's not really true.

Upvote 0

antigoat

Oct 8, 2003
Visit site
✟7,839.00
Faith
I'm surprised how many people don't have a problem with this. If someone donates their body to a medical school, I'm guessing they are intending it to be used to advanced the study of medicine, not be used in military testing.

There are a lot of people who would have a problem with their bodies being sold to the military, and they are entitled to that opinion. This move was inexcusable. If these people wanted to donate their bodies to the military, they would have. If people wanted this, the military would have an excess of donated cadavars like Tulane does. What do you know, this doesn't seem to be the case!

Either the medical school or the Anatomical service or whatever should be charged with a crime- either the medical school violated the intention of a donation or the service broke its contract with the school.

Upvote 0