Arlen Specter, Let's take Action.

ProCommunioneFacior

I'm an ultra-traditionalist, run for your life ;)
Oct 30, 2003
Mesa, Arizona
Visit site
✟21,647.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
What a great week, the possibilities of advancements in the Culture of Life is very encouraging, however we need to take some action.

As some of you may know, Arlen Specter is a vehemently pro-death Republican Senator from Pennsylvania. He is a member of the Judiciary Committee and based on seniority he is next in line to be chairman of the Judiciary Committee. He has vowed to do everything in his power to block any Bush nominees to the Courts that are pro-life. We need to take action. The Republican Senators are thinking of making an exception to tradition and not appointing somebody based on seniority. If this is the case, the chairman would be Senator Jon Kyl from Arizona a very pro-life Senator. We need to contact our Republican Senators and encourage them to reject Specter for Kyl. We need to let them know that they won this election because of morality, and therefore they have a duty to recognize us and our values. So please, please contact your Republican Senators and tell them to take action by refusing the chair to Specter. Here is a link to the contact information of your Senators.

http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm

Here is an article that discusses Arlen Specter and his vow to block Bush's nominees.

http://www.nationalreview.com/editorial/editors200411050752.asphttp://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm

Let's do this.:thumbsup: Let us be a voice for the voiceless. God has blessed us with an opportunity and Satan is going to do everything in his power to halt the Culture of Life, we need to be on the offensive with our actions and prayers.

ProCommunioneFacior

Oct 30, 2003
Mesa, Arizona
Visit site
✟21,647.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ProCommunioneFacior

Oct 30, 2003
Mesa, Arizona
Visit site
✟21,647.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

marciadietrich

Senior Veteran
Dec 5, 2002
Visit site
✟21,060.00
Faith
Catholic
When I was a teenager I used to go to political events and pass out bumper stickers and stuff envelopes, etc. for Chuck Grassley's campaign when he was first running for the Senate (same year that Reagan was first elected president). A very genuine and deeply religious man. Orrin Hatch is going to be well on our side here too.

As far as Specter goes and though I disagree with him ... he was THE MAN during the Clarence Thomas confirmation hearings. I think Specter single-handedly got Thomas past that ... he was simply brilliant. I think Specter's main concern would be not having someone say they had prejudged on the issue of overturning Roe v. Wade, which is basically what Thomas said (soft peddled his view - i.e. that he had not already came to a conclusion that Roe v. Wade should be overturned) though he is considered to be fairly strongly pro-life.

I think Specter would fight any one who had said they prejudged this case before even getting on the court. Which, generally speaking, any strongly pro-life person has prejudged the matter ... but a bit of finesse in the political system would probably go a long way. Get someone who is personally pro-life, wanting to uphold the constitution, and not having an in your face attitude about overturning Roe v. Wade and I think we can get some very solid and still very pro-life justices appointed with the main problem being the democrats and not Arlen Specter.

Marcia

Reactions: Michelina
Upvote 0

Michelina

Site Supporter
Nov 6, 2003
✟19,733.00
Faith
Catholic
marciadietrich said:
As far as Specter goes and though I disagree with him ... he was THE MAN during the Clarence Thomas confirmation hearings. I think Specter single-handedly got Thomas past that ... he was simply brilliant. Marcia

Yes, Marcia, he was brilliant. He used his prosecutorial skills to completely discredit Anita Hill. That's where the story starts.

Feminazis targeted him in the next election. He dodged a bullet there but ever since then I think he has been trying to placate the pro-death forces in re abortion. When you look at the Dem side of that Committee, it looks like the Red Sox line-up. The Supreme Court nominations hearings are gonna be a crucible for anyone who accepts a nomination. If you think the Bork Roast was bad, these may be even worse because there is so much at stake, besides abortion.

And then there are the Federal Judgeships.

Stock up on Alka Seltzer, kiddies.

Upvote 0

marciadietrich

Senior Veteran
Dec 5, 2002
Visit site
✟21,060.00
Faith
Catholic
Michelina said:
Yes, Marcia, he was brilliant. He used his prosecutorial skills to completely discredit Anita Hill. That's where the story starts.

Feminazis targeted him in the next election. ...

If you think the Bork Roast was bad, these may be even worse because there is so much at stake, besides abortion.
Hi Michelina,

Oh yeah, it will be viscious. I can't imagine why anyone would want to have their life and beliefs lambasted that way. For a greater good, yes, but only if you make it through the process.

I am sure Specter has played to the liberal forces to get re-elected, and he does personally hold beliefs that are simply wrong. He is pro-abortion. Still, he is a major force on that committee and in the Senate as a whole and he has supported pro-life nominees given certain conditions. Spectre is a force that is generally going to work for us and not against us. I would rather not beat up on him on this issue which I believe the media is playing up to cause division amongst Republicans. Specter just wants nominees that have a shot of making it through the borking-guantlet, someone he would vote for himself. He supported Thomas, but not Bork.

We need Specter on our side in this process. Despite the blemishes he is a real asset on that judicial committee because he has that legal background. If Bush can't get a nominee past Specter they are D.O.A. anyhow.

I'm going to pray for him.

Marcia

Upvote 0

marciadietrich

Senior Veteran
Dec 5, 2002
Visit site
✟21,060.00
Faith
Catholic
For those who are interested there was a thread on Steve Ray's board and someone linked to this link (below) which shows what Specter did actually say in an interview, and his response to the reports on this:

http://www.nationalreview.com/thecorner/04_11_04_corner-archive.asp#045307

I'll quote the reply since it is brief:

Washington, D.C.- Senator Arlen Specter (R-PA) made the following comments today on the judicial confirmation process.

"Contrary to press accounts, I did not warn the President about anything and was very respectful of his Constitutional authority on the appointment of federal judges.

"As the record shows, I have supported every one of President Bush’s nominees in the Judiciary Committee and on the Senate floor. I have never and would never apply any litmus test on the abortion issue and, as the record shows, I have voted to confirm Chief Justice Rehnquist, Justice O’Connor, and Justice Kennedy and led the fight to confirm Justice Thomas.

"I have already sponsored a protocol calling for a Judiciary Committee hearing within thirty days of a nomination, a vote out of Committee thirty days later, and floor action thirty days after that. I am committed to such prompt action by the Committee on all of President Bush’s nominees.

"In light of the repeated filibusters by the Democrats in the last Senate session, I am concerned about a potential repetition of such filibusters. I expect to work well with President Bush in the judicial confirmation process in the years ahead."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sharp

Jul 23, 2004
✟1,271.00
Faith
Baptist
Politics
US-Republican
marciadietrich said:
When I was a teenager I used to go to political events and pass out bumper stickers and stuff envelopes, etc. for Chuck Grassley's campaign when he was first running for the Senate (same year that Reagan was first elected president). A very genuine and deeply religious man. Marcia
Good. We have one who actually worked for him. There are two ways to manage this. Dumping AS would be the direct way, but it would leave us with a humiliated senator whose vote we'd need.

There is a less direct and face-saving way. Under current Republican rules, Frist can appoint another Republican with more seniority without raising an eyebrow. That would be much more tactful. There are very few senior to AS. One is Chuck Grassley!

Keep up the other letters and emails, but also consider contacting Sen Grassley's office urging him to request the chairman's position on the judiciary committee. He has that right under senate rules because he has more seniority than Arlan does. That would be more tactful and make it easier to get Arlan's votes on other key issues. Just a thought!

I don't claim ownership of this idea; credit goes to the Salem Radio Network.

Upvote 0

Prawnik

Pit Bull Terrier
Nov 1, 2004
✟17,275.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Sharp said:
There is a less direct and face-saving way. Under current Republican rules, Frist can appoint another Republican with more seniority without raising an eyebrow. That would be much more tactful. There are very few senior to AS. One is Chuck Grassley!

Keep up the other letters and emails, but also consider contacting Sen Grassley's office urging him to request the chairman's position on the judiciary committee. He has that right under senate rules because he has more seniority than Arlan does. That would be more tactful and make it easier to get Arlan's votes on other key issues. Just a thought!.

Much as I'd love to dump Specter, this is a much more worakble idea. Say, if Bush is planning to set up a theocracy or whatever, why'd he campaign for Specter in the PA Republican primary? LOL

I suppose that Bush et al. thought that Specter was more "electable" than his opponent in the primary, but Specter doesn't offer Bush much support.

Upvote 0

wvernon

Sep 7, 2004
Oregon
Visit site
✟1,002.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
US-Republican
marciadietrich said:
When I was a teenager I used to go to political events and pass out bumper stickers and stuff envelopes, etc. for Chuck Grassley's campaign when he was first running for the Senate (same year that Reagan was first elected president). A very genuine and deeply religious man. Orrin Hatch is going to be well on our side here too.

As far as Specter goes and though I disagree with him ... he was THE MAN during the Clarence Thomas confirmation hearings. I think Specter single-handedly got Thomas past that ... he was simply brilliant. I think Specter's main concern would be not having someone say they had prejudged on the issue of overturning Roe v. Wade, which is basically what Thomas said (soft peddled his view - i.e. that he had not already came to a conclusion that Roe v. Wade should be overturned) though he is considered to be fairly strongly pro-life.

I think Specter would fight any one who had said they prejudged this case before even getting on the court. Which, generally speaking, any strongly pro-life person has prejudged the matter ... but a bit of finesse in the political system would probably go a long way. Get someone who is personally pro-life, wanting to uphold the constitution, and not having an in your face attitude about overturning Roe v. Wade and I think we can get some very solid and still very pro-life justices appointed with the main problem being the democrats and not Arlen Specter.

Marcia
I hope you are right in case the drive to keep Specter from the chairmanship fails. I still believe not allowing Specter to be chairman is the answer. There is too much at stake here to allow a liberal like Specter to chair the committee.

Upvote 0