Ariz. hospital loses Catholic status over surgery.

Billnew

Legend
Apr 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Disgusting. Shows that the Catholic pro life crowd could care less about the woman and is fetus obsessed. Just disgusting.
It is more then one woman and one baby.
It limits medical procedures that might save the mother, for fear of "offending the church."

I support the church's right to do so.
I do not agree with their position.

Anti-abortion is one thing, but to risk two lives to keep the pro-life stance is just wrong. I know some would argue the first point, but elective surgeries the hospital can refuse to do. Lifethreatening conditions that demand either the baby dies or both, the hospital must do what is minimally required to save the womans life.

I also agree, get th church out of medical decisions. Let them make all the theoretical rulings they want, but let Dr's decide what is right or wrong in each individual case.

Upvote 0

I <3 Abraham

Go Cubbies!
Jun 7, 2005
✟18,730.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
From the article, it sounds like the woman was suffering from something like pre-eclampsia which can be EXTREMELY dangerous. Since the pregnancy was the direct cause of the condition and the patient had an "almost 100% chance" of dying from the condition, the medical intervention is clear--end the pregnancy.

The Catholic Church requires that the fetus and the mother be treated as having equal dignity. Why should the mother's life be severely endangered for a slim chance that the baby might be able to come to term? After all, the poor woman had pregnancy related high blood pressure at 11 weeks (11!), and it was life threatening then. Her chances of making it to full term would be miniscule.

So the Catholic church wants one person to undergo an extreme risk in order than another person might have a slim chance to survice. Does this sound like equal dignity? No, it sounds like the fetus is FAR more important than the mother.

Upvote 0

I <3 Abraham

Go Cubbies!
Jun 7, 2005
✟18,730.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
On a side note, it continues to be despicable the way that the Catholic church uses Holy Communion as the primary means of punishing non ordained Catholics.

Since when has the Eucharist been weaponized? Where did the Catholic church get the idea that The Lord's Supper was, in fact, "The Catholics' supper".

The table is about (among other things) bringing all people together into one body and displaying God's gracious self sacrificial love. But these bishops are using the table as a means of exclusion and punishment, they should be ashamed. How can the Catholics' have gotten it so wrong?

Upvote 0

CyberPaladin

Veteran
Dec 2, 2005
✟53,287.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I'm wondering how many women have died because hospitals have followed the guidelines of national Conference of Catholic Bishops and patient haven't realized of far that it goes and weren't properly informed. Since even if your prolife many us aren't for doing nothing if it will kill both.

Upvote 0

I <3 Abraham

Go Cubbies!
Jun 7, 2005
✟18,730.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
I'm wondering how many women have died because hospitals have followed the guidelines of national Conference of Catholic Bishops and patient haven't realized of far that it goes and weren't properly informed. Since even if your prolife many us aren't for doing nothing if it will kill both.

Probably not many. Doctors are fiercely devoted to saving human life.

I would guess it is more than zero and less than five.

Upvote 0

CyberPaladin

Veteran
Dec 2, 2005
✟53,287.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Probably not many. Doctors are fiercely devoted to saving human life.

I would guess it is more than zero and less than five.

Well I would guess a little higher 10-15 range and even if a doctor isn't all that fiercely devoted saving patients lives they still are probably fiercely devoted to keeping there license and avoiding unnecassary malpratice complaints and lawsuites.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Caitlin.ann

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2006
Indiana
✟30,277.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Well I would guess a little higher 10-15 range and even if a doctor isn't all that fiercely devoted saving patients lives they still are probably fiercely devoted to keeping there license and avoiding unnecassary malpratice complaints and lawsuites.
That's not even an issue. Its incredibly easy for a doctor to lose their license in one state and go on to another and begin practicing again within 90 days. They don't have a national registry like nurses where one can lose their license forever in every single state for one incident or malpractice claim.

It would be the nurses worried about losing their licenses because those are more easily rescinded indefinitely..doctors just have to travel across state lines and do "it" (whatever malpractice) again with few issues.

Just saying.

Upvote 0

J.B.

Apr 9, 2010
California
✟8,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I absolutely consider myself pro-life, but hear me out. I believe that in circumstances such as these, any means necessary should be used to keep her alive, in this case a mother giving birth. If her life was saved through these procedures, then it is a good thing. It is still tragic that her child's life was lost in the process, though. Basically, I'm reluctantly in favor of aborting a child's life, if it is for the purpose to save the mother due to likely chances of death.

Upvote 0
R

Roxie The Box Inspector

I absolutely consider myself pro-life, but hear me out. I believe that in circumstances such as these, any means necessary should be used to keep her alive, in this case a mother giving birth. If her life was saved through these procedures, then it is a good thing. It is still tragic that her child's life was lost in the process, though. Basically, I'm reluctantly in favor of aborting a child's life, if it is for the purpose to save the mother due to likely chances of death.
I agree with you....the mother's life takes precendence over the unborn one.

Upvote 0

Billnew

Legend
Apr 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I find this absolutely ridiculous.

What's better: a childless woman or a motherless child?
Like someone said, neither would have survived without treatment, one survives with treatment.

I am hoping very small numbers.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums