Are you a animal or house pet lover?

What do you do if wildlife kills your pet?

• Put out a trap so that you can kill the wildlife.

• Have the animal shelter to put out a trap to remove it out of the area/region.

• Let the wildlife alone. It will eventually go on.

• not sure

• non of the above. I will explain.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Extirpated Wildlife

Wanted: Room to Roam
Oct 3, 2002
Fort Worth
Visit site
✟17,091.00
Faith
Protestant
I'm curious in what you think. I have a scenario to find out how you really feel.

Suppose your pet, or someone you know's pet, gets killed by wildlife in your area. What would be your response?

I will give my response now. My response is that wildlife isn't any different than a house pet. The only difference is that you have become attached to the pet in your house, while the wildlife around is having to find food and sometimes in desperate measures to survive. Its not the fault of the wildlife that this happens. Its neither the pet owners fault. But the pet owner MUST realize that wildlife is being given less and less room to roam. And that is not their fault. Its our fault as a community.

BigToe

You are my itchy sweater.
Jun 24, 2003
Sudzo's Purple Palace of Snuggles
Visit site
✟35,932.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
funny you ask. i had three pet ducklings and a gooseling a couple of summers ago. after about oh three weeks of them being in my family, one morning we woke up and they were gone. chances are a racoon or eagle or something ate them. naturally i was heart broken (ducks are my fave animal hehe). but at the same time i understood that they fed some other animal. so i was still ok. now if my puppy were killed i would be outranged, but my dog is a gift from God and is the only reason i am here today....

Upvote 0

layne

ByKr ChYk
Sep 12, 2002
✟640.00
Faith
Pentecostal
I have an indoor cat, so I wouldn't worry about wildlife, plus I live in the city and coyotes don't venture into my area. If I were on a farm, however, I would be upset if my animal were eaten, but I understand that life feeds on life.

Blanton.. if you don't mind my asking, what's the story about the dog being the only reason you're here? :)

Upvote 0

BigToe

You are my itchy sweater.
Jun 24, 2003
Sudzo's Purple Palace of Snuggles
Visit site
✟35,932.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
God used the dog to show me love and that he cares about me. I mean if God asks me to give him up i would, but only because God asked me to. I was raped in Jan by a guy I thought was a good friend. Two weeks later I was dumped over the internet by my first boyfriend, whom I thought I was in love with to find out he had gotten back with his ex... Anyway a string of things consistently happened every two weeks and my depression was just spiraling out of control. I know that God placed the dog in my life to help me see love and happiness in a time where I didn't think either existed. I am not sure what would have happened, but I certainly know I wouldnt be where I am today if it weren't for God placing this dog in my life. I may have needed to be on serious medication or seek treatment more extreme than what I am currently doing. So while I don't know where I would have been in life without the dog, I know I certainly wouldnt be where I am. Now that isn't to say I am hunky dorey nothing is wrong now, but God uses the dog to show me his love in ways more visible so that I could see them when I am doubting. God works in mysterious ways doesnt he? Thankfully at that!

Upvote 0

urbanfaerie

Veteran
Apr 17, 2003
gargamel's castle
Visit site
✟1,392.00
Faith
Non-Denom
this reminds me of the lion king..

'circle of life'...

animals kill to survive, not kill to live..
just as..
people kill to survive, not kill to live..

(tho in sum situations that could be argued)

but majority...rules.

and yea it is sad to see a house pet, scavenged out for dinner from sum animal in the woods..

but its just as sad to see that these same animals, that should be free to venture out all over the place, are not able to. as forests get smaller, cuz ppl need houses to live in, buildings to work at..groceries to shop at etc...

the wild life r more n more being denied their rightful territory. they are basicaly kept in captivty. that leaves em no choice but to go to cities now, to look for food. or to live...

its sad seeing a bald eagle, or a hawk or whatnot, flying over buildings, when they should be out inthe country. its saddens me to see in camp grounds 'beware of bear' signs...the outide animals are finding it easier, more convient to live near ppl. they get lazier..and w/ that more frustrated....

i spose its better the house pet gets eaten, then the person living in the house..

it won't be long til that happens tho.

or wait..it already has.. :sigh:

Upvote 0
I agree pretty much with all of the above. I would be really really upset if my pet was hurt or killed by wildlife. But I do agree that wild animals only kill when threatened or if they are hungry. Not for sport. I am a cat lover (love other pets as well, but only if I can visit them at someone else's house) so I would have to keep them inside.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Beckijhn

Feb 1, 2003
Colorado
Visit site
✟629.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
I am a lover of the outdoors and the wildlife that exists in it. I chose none of the above and will explain:

God gave us dominion over the world and all that is in it. We are to treat it kindly, but never will an animal have more rights than a person.

If an eagle or racoon get my animal then I would probably deal with it and move on. If it became a problem I would trap it and remove it to a less populated area. However if it were a cougar (like we have here) or coyotes, or heaven forbid a bear (we had a few of those in our neighborhood in AK), I would favor removal but if all else fails, kill it.

The reasoning is, if it is getting my smaller animals it has found a place to feed. As it grows more aggresive, my kids are endangered.

Then there are the crazy people that want to bring wolves back here. Ish - think about it people!

Upvote 0

two feathers

of the wilderness
Apr 22, 2002
A broken world
✟9,326.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Originally posted by Beckijhn:

Then there are the crazy people that want to bring wolves back here.

Crazy people?

Try compassionate and educated people. People who understand that the hated wolf has a place in the natural ecosystem.

It sounds as though the fear propaganda of the anti-reintroduction movement continues to work it's magic in many minds.

In the rare case that an attack does occur, it is, more often than not, the fault of human ignorance.

Upvote 0

Beckijhn

Feb 1, 2003
Colorado
Visit site
✟629.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
"In the rare case that an attack does occur, it is, more often than not, the fault of human ignorance."

By your logic, when a child is ignorant and doesn't read the signs of the wolf/cougar well enough to stay alive then it's just nature?

Have you kept up on what's happened with the wolves that have already been reintroduced or did it not hit main stream media?

Yes, I think that people who put animals before people and before our livelihood and our well-being are a bit crazy. There is a reason for migratory tracks and for animals moving from a place they used to inhabit - and I'm not talking about factories or cities. You may complain about our farmers and ranchers driving the animals off 'their land' but I don't see all the ecology nuts being self sufficient. Where do they buy their bread, potatoes, granola food? I buy mine at the store and I know where it comes from!

Wolves reintroduced into Idaho is not a smart idea. If a wolf came into my backyard, and they would not remove it from the area, the next time I'd kill it. Same with a cougar or a bear.

Upvote 0

Beckijhn

Feb 1, 2003
Colorado
Visit site
✟629.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
Just out of curiosity Two Feathers are you part of an indigenous peoples? You have an Indigenous Person in your picture and you have a name that is tribal.

My people are so mixed and moshed from all over, but a great part of my line is Cherokee. I think they call my bloodline Heinz 57.

If you are, what is your take on Wolf hunting and Whale hinting in AK? It was a pretty hot topic when we were there. We lived with Tlinget and Hyda peoples. A very rich culture that I felt honored to observe!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

two feathers

of the wilderness
Apr 22, 2002
A broken world
✟9,326.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Originally posted by Beckijhn:

By your logic, when a child is ignorant and doesn't read the signs of the wolf/cougar well enough to stay alive then it's just nature?

No. It is against an animal's nature to approach a human. If a child is attacked then there is no doubt that somewhere, sometime in that animal's life, human irresponsibility and ignorance has led that animal to lose it's fear of mankind. The naivety of a child is not to blame; the nature a wolf/bear/cougar CANNOT be blammed.

Have you kept up on what's happened with the wolves that have already been reintroduced or did it not hit main stream media?

Are you talking about the reintroduced wolves that have been shot and killed out of sheer hatred, or was there some other story I missed?

You have an Indigenous Person in your picture

He is Goyakla.

Just out of curiosity Two feathers are you part of an indigenous peoples?

Yes. I am a mixed-blood Qualla.

If you are, what is your take on Wolf hunting and Whale hunting in AK?

If it is traditional sustenance hunting I am a strong supporter.

We lived with Tlingit and Hyda peoples.

I too have spent time in the Tlingit Nation(in Canada) as a Native Youth Worker. PM me if you wish and tell about your experiences with the people.

Upvote 0
Jun 24, 2003
The Dalles, OR
✟5,260.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Beckijhn said:
Wolves reintroduced into Idaho is not a smart idea. If a wolf came into my backyard, and they would not remove it from the area, the next time I'd kill it. Same with a cougar or a bear.
Then I would hope that you would be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.
Jeff the Finn

Upvote 0

Beckijhn

Feb 1, 2003
Colorado
Visit site
✟629.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
I have not studied about the Qualla. In fact the kids and are thinking about doing a study on the 500 Nations this year.

Yes we hunted for food. I usually just fished, but my brothers were great grouse hunters :)

There are animals that attack because you are in their 'space' and it is in their nature to do so.

I would gladly face the fire for shooting a wild animal that is endangering my family if the wildlife experts refuse to remove it from my neighborhood. Some animals they don't deal with (like our cougars) and when that animal starts taking dogs and cats from the neighborhood, small children are next! (It has happened in the past)

I'm curious where Jeffthefinn and Two Feathers live. Country? City? Small town? Out in the sticks? Just out of curiousity - what is your experience with wildlife. Two Feathers, you said you have spent time with the Tlinget so I'm assuming you've spent time with nature.

Was it a work thing or did you actually subsist there and live "with" nature?

Upvote 0

Chakotay2

Chaplain, USS Voyager
Jun 25, 2003
Visit site
✟217.00
We have wildlife in our area (fox, coyote, deer, skunk) but I've never heard of anyone's pet getting killed. I have a house dog and am outside when she is.

If someone's pet was killed, I believe the animal control department would be called. Usually it's a bad sign when wild animals get really close to densely populated areas.

Upvote 0
Some of you might have heard about the 12 yr old boy Bryan, that was killed by the alligator in Florida. He was a student of mine (I teach computers) and a friend to my son. Although, this has been so tragic for us. I still believe that the gator was only doing what God created it to do. WHich is hunt for it's food. We live in FL. if you go into a lake you know there's a good chance there might be an alligator. JMHO of course! PS Please pray for his family they are still having a very hard time!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.