Are sports a luxury, and thus evil? Should Christians avoid sports and sportsmen?

Oct 15, 2011
✟8,086.00
Faith
Christian
Broadly speaking, these are different questions related to the same topic.

God has told us to take care of our body, and regular physical activity is compulsory in order to stay healthy. Sport is the most common and entertaining way to stay physically fit.

And for some people, sport is more than just staying healthy. It is their career, it is what allows them to make a living, and it may be their highest talent.

Either way (fitness or career), sport can also be very expensive:
- For the individual amateur, buying the equipment, access to the venue, membership (depending on each different sport).
- For the career sportspeople, the whole investment into their training - often since childhood -, and again, special equipment, different venues, instructors, doctors, etc.
- And let's not forget the millions of spectators who pay to watch the sportsmen and sportswomen in action.

There is so much money involved.

As a person from a low-income family, I had few or no options to properly learn any sport as a child. I grew up with the perception that it was a luxury, since I didn't need to be fit. My friends who did regular sports did them just because they could afford to, and it seemed like pure entertainment.

Growing older, I learned that being fit and physically healthy actually IS a necessity. Maybe it is not as urgent as the need for food and shelter, but lack of fitness is what causes diseases and illnesses in the long run.

The first question is:
Can I still say that sport is a luxury? Or could I say that some sports are luxury while others are not? e.g. could I think that it is not a luxury if it helps you achieve your "basic" fitness without spending too much money?

Should Christians avoid some types of sports if they are too expensive to learn and are not there only to achieve "basic" fitness?
Examples: ice hockey, racing cars, bob-sledding, curling

Could such sports be considered a luxury, a waste, and thus a sin?

The second question:
If Christians avoided doing some types of sports because they are a luxury, they would probably also stop watching those sports - live, or on TV.

How then should Christians view others involved in the chain of that sport, i.e. the career sportspeople? Would professional ice hockey players be considered "sinners"?

Obviously, the more people stopped watching a sport, the more professional sportspeople would lose their jobs. Could a whole sports career and industry be considered sin?

A final question: what about other forms of entertainment?
If everyone were to stop going to concerts or seeing plays at the theater because they start seeing that as a luxury, would it ideally also mean that musicians, actors, artists and other entertainment professionals should actually... go and look for less sinful jobs?

Oct 15, 2011
✟8,086.00
Faith
Christian
Sports, music, entertainment in general... great avenues for Christians to witness to non-believers, whether as performers or just spectators.

I am sure there are also many concerts, plays and even sport events in which belief plays an important and positive role. I have seen artists sing in praise about God and Christianity, and sportspeople thanking or praying to God at some stage of their performance.

But this has nothing to do with my question, i.e. whether it is a sin to spend our time, money and resources to learn, perform or watch sports or entertainment.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2011
✟8,086.00
Faith
Christian
Ok, well, I thought my answer implied the answer you're looking for.

Bottom line is to not idolize these things. The way you are wording it, you could make an argument that most anything we do in our daily lives is a sin. How about the time we spend working, or the money we spend on gas?

Well, my question was aimed at finding a more precise way to define what is luxury and, because it's a luxury, a sin, and something that should be avoided by Christians.
(If we can't, maybe it points out at the fact that "sin" may still be a grey area.)

Work - and the money we earn through work - is what allows us, nowadays, to build the foundation of food, shelter, education and all other things in life.
How about the actors, the sportsmen, the musicians? Are they not working, too? IF we considered what they did a luxury, would it mean they should not make a living anymore and train for new jobs?

Personally, I have worked in the "service" side of both entertainment and sports, despite considering it a luxury when I was younger. All food and bills I pay for today is money I have earned through the entertainment industry.

Then - My first question was geared more specifically at the individual who engages in a sport especially for keeping healthy.
If I find ice hockey to be the sport I am best at, and it keeps me fit and healthy, is it okay for me to invest time and money into the equipment and train for it?

Personally, I have never done any sport as a kid, but a few months ago I discovered skiing. I tried a few times and found out I was really good, like a hidden talent. And it also helps me stay outdoors, in the mountains.
Skiing are keeps one very healthy, strong and fit.
But, as you probably know, skiing is VERY VERY VERY expensive!
At what point can I say it is a sin for me to invest time and money into skiing?

Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2011
✟10,276.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
You have some good points, worth reflecting on. We all find ways to waste time. The people of Biblical times worked six days from sunrise to sunset, and took the Sabbath off. Now that we have modern conveniences, we are able to shorten our work days and have more fun.

Work and maintaining our properties used to give people plenty of physical exercise -- more than enough. Now we have refrigerators and grocery stores, furnaces and insulation, cars and mass transit.

There were sports in Bible times, and Paul even referred to them. He encouraged us to train ourselves as an athlete does. And this concept ties into your question. It might not be sinful, but does it support that narrow training, that focused goal for our lives?

Find out what your life goals are, and then see how everything fits.

Would professional ice hockey players be considered "sinners"?
Jesus reminded the Pharisees to go back to the heart of the law when defining sin. We tend to lump "bad" or "not profitable" in with sin, and that was not the intent of God when providing His law. A sin is usually an active offense against man and/or God.

But then lethargy and passivity as spectators, neglecting family and responsibilities for exercise, insulting others in competitive spirit, boastfulness.... these can also be offenses. One game per week is fresh air and socialization; three hours per day in the gym is obsessive.

I think it's something you need to sort out for yourself. Life is short, use time wisely.

Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2011
✟10,276.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
But, as you probably know, skiing is VERY VERY VERY expensive!
At what point can I say it is a sin for me to invest time and money into skiing?
Now this is where you're going to need Suze Orman. Can you afford it?
Are you dependent on others now for some of your income... are you in school.. do you have money in savings... do you need to save up for an apartment... do you have a family to support.... are you starting a hobby that will continue to cost you more than you can afford.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2011
✟8,086.00
Faith
Christian
There were sports in Bible times, and Paul even referred to them. He encouraged us to train ourselves as an athlete does.
Do you remember any Bible passages that refer to sports and being fit?

Find out what your life goals are, and then see how everything fits.
[...]

But then lethargy and passivity as spectators, neglecting family and responsibilities for exercise, insulting others in competitive spirit, boastfulness.... these can also be offenses. One game per week is fresh air and socialization; three hours per day in the gym is obsessive.

I think it's something you need to sort out for yourself. Life is short, use time wisely.

So would you recognize that doing sports in itself, as an activity, is not evil/bad/sinful - but rather, some of the ways in which different people engage in it?

What about sports that require regular training in order to be good? Not every day, but maybe one whole day a week?

Even in that case, would it simply depend on the individual?

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2011
✟8,086.00
Faith
Christian
Now this is where you're going to need Suze Orman. Can you afford it?
Are you dependent on others now for some of your income... are you in school.. do you have money in savings... do you need to save up for an apartment... do you have a family to support.... are you starting a hobby that will continue to cost you more than you can afford.

So, you do consider the individual's circumstances rather than have a "social", universal answer to the question :)

The reason I point out at this is that this is maybe one of the areas to which the Bible/Christianity has a bit ambiguous answers: individual circumstances.
Where the very same thing can be good for one person and bad for the other.

I don't want to stray too far from the original topic, but personally, I believe that if such a circumstance is caused by social inequality (i.e. income disparity) there should be some kind of general answer:
why should a person benefit less from life simply because they cannot afford it?

Obviously, skiing is not the same thing as medical treatment, but a good analogy is how access to high quality health services is not equal in many countries (fortunately, I don't live in the USA).

But without going into that debate, I will try to explain what I am trying to get at.

Say I can afford to ski regularly and travel to the mountains in order to do so. But say that my best friend cannot, simply because he cannot afford to - even though he would like to!

Wouldn't it be a bit "sad" or "un-kind" or even unfair that I could afford skiing, but my best friend cannot?
In such a case, how would I be able to "morally" ski?

Upvote 0

MZS

May 18, 2009
✟15,214.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Good original question! Very little on this subject is discussed - I have searched! I watch NFL and also hunt. Both of these can be consuming, and I have to admit, have taken too much of a priority in my life in the past. On the other hand, legalistically banning them seems, well, a road down legalism, which I also do not want. My experience with overly legalistic people is that they have used this as cover for bigger very ugly issues that eventually came out. Sports can glorify God too - it shows up a lot in the NFL. Even in hunting, last year I almost miraculously found a downed deer after giving the matter up to the Lord in prayer, and it was a great witness to family and friends. I guess it all comes down to what your "first love" is and the fact that you have "no other gods".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
E

Eric Hibbert

God has told us to take care of our body, and regular physical activity is compulsory in order to stay healthy. Sport is the most common and entertaining way to stay physically fit.

And for some people, sport is more than just staying healthy. It is their career, it is what allows them to make a living, and it may be their highest talent.

- For the individual amateur, buying the equipment, access to the venue, membership (depending on each different sport).
- For the career sportspeople, the whole investment into their training - often since childhood -, and again, special equipment, different venues, instructors, doctors, etc.
- And let's not forget the millions of spectators who pay to watch the sportsmen and sportswomen in action.

As a person from a low-income family, I had few or no options to properly learn any sport as a child. I grew up with the perception that it was a luxury, since I didn't need to be fit. My friends who did regular sports did them just because they could afford to, and it seemed like pure entertainment.

Growing older, I learned that being fit and physically healthy actually IS a necessity. Maybe it is not as urgent as the need for food and shelter, but lack of fitness is what causes diseases and illnesses in the long run.

The first question is:
Can I still say that sport is a luxury? Or could I say that some sports are luxury while others are not? e.g. could I think that it is not a luxury if it helps you achieve your "basic" fitness without spending too much money?

Should Christians avoid some types of sports if they are too expensive to learn and are not there only to achieve "basic" fitness?

The second question:
If Christians avoided doing some types of sports because they are a luxury, they would probably also stop watching those sports - live, or on TV.

How then should Christians view others involved in the chain of that sport, i.e. the career sportspeople? Would professional ice hockey players be considered "sinners"?

Obviously, the more people stopped watching a sport, the more professional sportspeople would lose their jobs. Could a whole sports career and industry be considered sin?

If everyone were to stop going to concerts or seeing plays at the theater because they start seeing that as a luxury, would it ideally also mean that musicians, actors, artists and other entertainment professionals should actually... go and look for less sinful jobs?

Why do you assume "luxuries" are sin? Why do you assume that hobbies or recreational activities are "waste" and "sin"?

Incidentally, I was a professional musician for many years. My mother is a noted artist. What part of those two things do you believe are "a sinful job"?

Reactions: LilLamb219
Upvote 0

Girder of Loins

Future Math Teacher
Dec 5, 2010
United States of America
✟18,961.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Luxuries are not sinful. Gluttony is a sin, but having luxuries is not a sin. And I wouldn't call professional sports a "luxury", nor would I call any sport a luxury. Is math olympics a luxury? That is a sport, and technically not physical. Being healthy is far from gluttony.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2011
✟8,086.00
Faith
Christian
Why do you assume "luxuries" are sin? Why do you assume that hobbies or recreational activities are "waste" and "sin"?

Incidentally, I was a professional musician for many years. My mother is a noted artist. What part of those two things do you believe are "a sinful job"?

I started this discussion because I feel that many Christians I know (and I am quite well-networked with many different branches of Christianity) do not look upon entertainment positively. I assume the reason is that it can distract people from reality, from helping each other, and so on.

Personally, I see many ways in which it is NOT sin, but I often feel that the majority perceive entertainment as a waste and sin - especially if there is an element of high expense (something not everyone can afford).

Maybe I should have been more specific, but again the best examples are from my own life:

My parents would have never sent me to skiing classes or even bought me a piano because they are so expensive. They are "stuff for the rich".
Now that I started skiing and enjoy it (with my own money), feel that it makes me grow, I sometimes have a bad conscience because I know that other people cannot afford it, my friends, my relatives.

I don't ski for the sake of boasting about it.

But those who cannot afford to ski see it as something only for rich people.

So, why does it feel like a sin?
(I would want it not to be a sin, but I think it can be considered such)

Because it is an activity that, due to its high expense, excludes other people simply due to their social and economic status.

And my parents think that instead of spending money on skiing, I could save the money for harsher times... My dad openly says that it is a selfish waste of money.

You get my point?
It can become a sin when money is involved, and whatever benefit you gain from it cannot be shared.

Depending on which sport or which concert, entertainment can involve loads of money. Money which could have been used for charity or other good social purposes.

Money which some people may not have, and thus may never be able to wear skis in their whole lifetime, nor have the money to buy a concert ticket to see your (or your mothers') performance.

Does this make more sense?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟897,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
If you have the money to learn it ( while still taking care of you and your family's basic needs and it does not become an idol there is nothing wrong with it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Oct 15, 2011
✟8,086.00
Faith
Christian
Luxuries are not sinful. Gluttony is a sin, but having luxuries is not a sin. And I wouldn't call professional sports a "luxury", nor would I call any sport a luxury. Is math olympics a luxury? That is a sport, and technically not physical. Being healthy is far from gluttony.

Please see above what I replied to Eric Hibbert.

Why I think luxury could be a sin? Because it excludes others who cannot afford it, because it is the result of or causes some kind of disparity.

Why sports could be considered a luxury?

- Ski boots ca. USD 500-800
- Skis ca. USD 400-500
- Ski pants and jacket ca. USD 400-500
- Trip to mountains (fuel or train ticket, depends on where you live, for me it can be ca. USD 250
- Ski pass for one weekend ca. USD 100
- And then of course accommodation (youth B&B) ca. USD 150
Let's assume I brought the food from home.
(I put prices in USD because I see most members of this forum are from the US, but I am from Europe)

Say I bought all my equipment on January and wanted to go just once a month. I would spend up to USD 2300 in just one month.

And you can't use the all the equipment forever, as it can wear out very quickly. I also left out many different accessories.

This is just for individual skiing.

Now think of other sports like sledding, or car racing.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2011
✟8,086.00
Faith
Christian
If you have the money to learn it ( while still taking care of you and your family's basic needs and it does not become an idol there is nothing wrong with it.

Aren't we as Christians bound by a value or moral that we should use our resources to help others who are less well off?

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
hmm interesting question.
I went snowboarding for the first time this year, as my work was doing a ski-trip and I decided I wanted to go to have a weekend of fun and try it out.

I did feel that it took me away from God actually because I felt I was being frivolous, spending all that money on the road trip and gear (very expensive for just one day in the snow), I couldn't go to church or worship/fellowship with others on the Sunday, or even witness to others, I took my bible with me but it wasn't the same as when Jesus went up to the mountain to pray. So, I would say for me, that I wouldn't do it again because it was pretty selfish unless it was like a christian camp or I was taking my family if I had children or something like that.

Upvote 0

contango

...and you shall live...
Jul 9, 2010
Sometimes here, sometimes there
✟16,996.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The first question is:

The second question:

Who said luxury is sinful? Why is something that isn't 100% streamlined to perfect efficiency sinful? Look at how Jesus responded to the woman who poured expensive oil over his feet.

God rested after creation, so how much more do we need rest and recreation?

I can see an argument that questions someone spending vast sums of money while there are people going hungry around them but even if we look at something like motorsport, if someone spends $500k on a racing car how do we know they didn't also spend $500k on helping those less fortunate?

Maybe the professional sportsman uses sport to earn a huge wage which they can use for a noble purpose.

Upvote 0

contango

...and you shall live...
Jul 9, 2010
Sometimes here, sometimes there
✟16,996.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Aren't we as Christians bound by a value or moral that we should use our resources to help others who are less well off?

Be a little careful with that value. It's one thing to help those less well off, it's another thing to say that every single thing that isn't 100% essential is sinful because we could have used the money to help others.

Do you really need an internet connection, for example? What about the time we spend on forums, maybe we should spend that time working either to help the poor directly or earn money to give to the poor? Where does it stop? Am I sinning because my wife and I have a spare bedroom that doesn't have a couple of otherwise homeless people in it? Are we sinning by having a house big enough to have a spare bedroom at all?

What about the TV? The money for the TV could have provided food for a homeless shelter. What about going for a walk in the countryside - think of the cost of the fuel to get there, not to mention the time that could have been used more productively to help the poor.

Somewhere along the line we have to say "this is just for me". And there's nothing inherently wrong with that - where the line gets drawn between the resources I use for myself and the resources I share with, or give to, others is a matter for individual conscience and God's leading.

Upvote 0