Are people born into the world separated from God?

oi_antz

Opposed to Untruth.
Apr 26, 2010
New Zealand
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
At some point repentance is required of us before we can accept His grace. This suggests that at some time we have sinned, which has impacted our ability to accept His grace. I would suggest though that the first time we are presented the ability to accept or reject Him (which might have been when the child asked an adult what the meaning of "God" is), then they will have decided at that time whether they will accept His grace. However, since the adult who explains it to the child will naturally add their own spin to the presentation of the concept, the child's decision will be skewed.

So, I would suggest most likely "Yes" in terms of the sense of conscious knowledge of God (since knowledge requires information, which a baby does not have until it begins to sense the world), but in terms of spiritual guidance, I would say that nobody is separated from God. In accepting your idea that some people are separated from God, I am interpreting it to mean that some people do not acknowledge or participate in an active relationship with Him. In other words, they consciously choose to not acknowledge Him. To that extent, "I don't know" is the most reliable answer I can give for your OP, but perhaps this will change as more information becomes available for me to consider.

Upvote 0

alexiscurious

Jul 13, 2014
✟15,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
At some point repentance is required of us before we can accept His grace. This suggests that at some time we have sinned, which has impacted our ability to accept His grace. I would suggest though that the first time we are presented the ability to accept or reject Him (which might have been when the child asked an adult what the meaning of "God" is), then they will have decided at that time whether they will accept His grace. However, since the adult who explains it to the child will naturally add their own spin to the presentation of the concept, the child's decision will be skewed.

So, I would suggest most likely "Yes" in terms of the sense of conscious knowledge of God (since knowledge requires information, which a baby does not have until it begins to sense the world), but in terms of spiritual guidance, I would say that nobody is separated from God. In accepting your idea that some people are separated from God, I am interpreting it to mean that some people do not acknowledge or participate in an active relationship with Him. In other words, they consciously choose to not acknowledge Him. To that extent, "I don't know" is the most reliable answer I can give for your OP, but perhaps this will change as more information becomes available for me to consider.

Do you ever remember an early point in time
where you weren't separated from him? Did you get sick as a child? I think it's safe to say you had sin coursing through your veins since you were a baby. And sin separates all from God?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Joshua260

Oct 30, 2012
North Carolina
✟9,504.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
And people born with sin are separated from God, right?

I agree with ebia that a simple yes or no is too simplistic.

Anyway, you misquoted me. I said that we are born with a sinful nature, not that we are born "with sin".

So I'm not sure I agree with your implication. After all, according to the teachings of Christianity, does a 3-year old kid die and is then forever separated from God?

In summary, the question is not whether or not you are born with a sinful nature, but whether or not you have ever sinned, and then later accepted Salvation through Jesus Christ. So, instead of God separating himself from you, he's waiting for you to respond. Truly, your fate is your choice.

Upvote 0

alexiscurious

Jul 13, 2014
✟15,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
No, people have the same "nature" as Adam and Eve did when created, it would not be fair to give them something greater.
As we mature we do sin, but sin is not the problem, just unforgiven sin is a problem.

No. Sin was absent in them in the beginning. So you are wrong.

And you are right. It isn't fair.

Upvote 0

alexiscurious

Jul 13, 2014
✟15,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I agree with ebia that a simple yes or no is too simplistic.

Anyway, you misquoted me. I said that we are born with a sinful nature, not that we are born "with sin".
Psalm 51:5
Surely I was sinful at birth, sinful from the time my mother conceived me.

So you disagree with David?

So I'm not sure I agree with your implication. After all, according to the teachings of Christianity, does a 3-year old kid die and is then forever separated from God?
All I'm trying to say is people enter this world separated from God. Why is a 3 year old even capable of dying if he is not born with sin? Why does he have any imperfections at all? How does he get sick?

In summary, the question is not whether or not you are born with a sinful nature, but whether or not you have ever sinned, and then later accepted Salvation through Jesus Christ. So, instead of God separating himself from you, he's waiting for you to respond. Truly, your fate is your choice.
This has nothing to do with my sin.

Original sin can be defined as “that sin and its guilt that we all possess in God’s eyes as a direct result of Adam’s sin in the Garden of Eden.” The doctrine of original sin focuses particularly on its effects on our nature and our standing before God, even before we are old enough to commit conscious sin.

Upvote 0

Joshua260

Oct 30, 2012
North Carolina
✟9,504.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Psalm 51:5
Surely I was sinful at birth, sinful from the time my mother conceived me.

So you disagree with David?.

But the punishment for sin is not imputed to a newborn.

All I'm trying to say is people enter this world separated from God. Why is a 3 year old even capable of dying if he is not born with sin? Why does he have any imperfections at all? How does he get sick?

Uh-huh. Why do you only ask questions and never answer them?

Original sin can be defined as “that sin and its guilt that we all possess in God’s eyes as a direct result of Adam’s sin in the Garden of Eden.”
No. Read Ezekiel 18. We do not get separated from God for eternity because of our father's sins, we are accountable for our own sins.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums