Are paying for ppv events okay as long as they were offered for free?

Lik3

Nov 21, 2011
South Carolina
✟94,571.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
This is for professional wrestling, boxing, and soccer fans especially, though fans of all sports can answer. Why are American sports and entertainment that are from Mexico and other countries free? I don't think it is fair for American fans to pay at least $9.99 for a pay per view while people in the UK and Mexico get to watch soccer or pro-wrestling pay per views for free. (I regret that I wasted time on a couple of these events.) This may have to go into the ethics section because of this last question.

Is it unethical and/or illegal to go to a site from the UK or Mexico online to watch a pay per view to watch, provided that it is from a Mexican or British online channel? I am not sure. I wonder if it is the same thing as downloading a pay per view for a torrent site, if that is possible. There are legal channels from Mexico that I access online that offer free pay per views from Mexico.

I had the misfortune of watching the very, very boring Pacquiao vs Mayweather "fight" not too long ago. Others had the misfortune of paying hundreds and thousands of bucks to actually sit there for that hour of boredom. Should I have felt guilty about it provided it is immoral? Some things are legal, but are or can be construed as immoral.

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't understand the problem.

While I have never been a fan of professional sport, and especially not boxing or wrestling, it is entertainment for many. There is nothing wrong with paying for entertainment. Going to a torrent site or international site and not paying is no different than watching a blockbuster movie from a torrent or downloading mp3s from your favorite band for free.

It is stealing - at least according to copyright laws in the US.

Upvote 0

Lik3

Nov 21, 2011
South Carolina
✟94,571.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Thank you for your reply. I realize that it was a mistake to watch sanctioned athletic endeavors (pro wrestling included). I just wasn't sure if watching a sporting event from say, a television channel from another country. For instance, I saw that incredibly boxing snore fest from a Mexican channel that presents its content online, or at least used to. Mexico and even the UK broadcasts their sporting even for free, well because their broadcasts regardless of local channels there are free.
Anyways, I wonder too if that is okay.

I realize that watching "WWE Summerslam" (pro wrestling ppv) for free is wrong. The WWE itself offers a fee to pay $9.99 subscription for their network. On the other hand, those with a subscription can watch for free. I didn't get to watch the ppv, but should I feel bad for watching the ppv (pay per view) for free (from another source such as a random website that broadcasts the ppv for free)? I confess that maybe I am telling too much, but I am not sure if that is immoral or illegal. Are the ads used to watch or erase from the ppv a red flag and should I have taken it as such?

Upvote 0

Mudinyeri

May 4, 2016
Nebraska
✟11,923.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
If I understand your question ... you watched a program for free on a website that was originally shown as a PPV event (users either paid an amount for that single event or had access to the event based on a paid subscription).

If you paid nothing, you broke the law (U.S. copyright law).

Reactions: Lik3
Upvote 0

Lik3

Nov 21, 2011
South Carolina
✟94,571.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
If I understand your question ... you watched a program for free on a website that was originally shown as a PPV event (users either paid an amount for that single event or had access to the event based on a paid subscription).

If you paid nothing, you broke the law (U.S. copyright law).

Thank you.

Upvote 0