Apr 4, 2010
✟7,643.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Conservative
Don't Christians believe that Jesus and Father in Heaven are the same.

If this is so why is Jesus called the son of God? How can the father and the son be the same being?

In John 20 when Jesus is resurrected he says to Mary, "Touch me not for I am not yet ascended to my fatther" and he goes on to say "And I ascend to my God and your God". So it seems here he is saying he is going up to be with God which means he can not be the same person?

In John 3 verse 16 it reads, "For God so loved the world that he sent his only begotten son" He sent his son, not he sent himself in the physical form?

In Acts 7 Verse 55 it says how Jesus is "standing on the right hand of God". Not in the same place as God he is by His side. So they must be seperate?

In Mathew 16 verses 16 and 17 Jesus mentions his father "which is in Heaven" so meaning he has his father in Heaven, not on Earth, in Heaven - SEPERATE!

So please help me but I feel like I am struggling. How can Jesus Christ and God be the same being ?

I'm sorry but I'm back to feeling pretty confused right now :(

LilLamb219

The Lamb is gone
Site Supporter
Jun 2, 2005
Visit site
✟83,596.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Have you been taught about the trinity? The Father, Son and Holy Ghost are 3 in one...each a distinct Godhead but of one essence being God. It's a concept that is confusing, but truthful. Jesus was 100% man and 100% God at the same time. Paradox, but truthful.

Upvote 0

SkyWishes

Apr 4, 2010
✟7,643.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Conservative
I was brought up Mormon and was taught all three are seperate however now I am finding out more about christianity and trying to understand it. I don't feel mormonism is for me and to be truthful I don't think I ever did feel it was for me. Anyway I'm trying to look at things differantly but its kinda hard when I was taught as a kid God and Jesus and the holy ghost are seperate. I will google the trinity.

And say a few prayers :prayer:

Reactions: Jeffwhosoever
Upvote 0
V

victoryuntojesus

Think of a diamond - a diamond has many facets, all of which are distinct and shine alone as each one is individually exposed to light. However, all of these facets are part of the one diamond.

Think of water - ice, steam and liquid water are all the same substance in different forms.

Think of an egg - the yolk, the white and the shell. They're all very different parts of the egg, they all taste different, they all look very different, you only cook two of the parts and only two of the parts turn into a chick, but they're all vital parts of that one egg.

Upvote 0

jimmyl

Mar 18, 2009
✟15,246.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There are a lot of analogies people use to describe the concept of the trinity, and I'm sure you will find that all of them fall a bit short of a full explanation, and the reason of course is that this is something somewhat beyond our understanding.

The Bible teaches that Jesus and the Father are both God, that there is one God, and that Jesus and the Father are distinct persons. As humans we do not fully understand how that all three of those things can be simultaneously true. When you are talking about a real, actual God who exists outside of your own imagination you have to expect there to be some parts of His nature that are beyond understanding. So we come up with analogies that are a poor fit to the truth. It's like trying to describe a cube to a two dimensional being. A cube is certainly a real thing that makes perfect sense, but there is nothing within a two dimensional beings experience which would allow them to understand it.

Anyway, the truth as the Bible presents it (regardless of whether we can understand it) is:

There is one God.
Jesus is God
The Father is God
The Holy Spirit is God
Jesus, the Father, and the Holy Spirit are distinct persons.

We are two dimensional beings trying to understand a three dimensional God.

Upvote 0

sbbqb7n16

Veteran - Blue Bible Dude
Jan 13, 2002
Texas
Visit site
✟25,010.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
For lack of a better word, yes.

Say you were an all powerful spirit being. And you chose to create a human male's body to walk around on the earth in. And you chose to have the body grow and be born by a human woman. What would you call the baby when it is born?

when she gives birth to the body for you, won't people ask, "who is this baby's father?"

"well... it's not Joseph, and Mary is still a virgin, so it's no one else. I guess God is the Father of this baby."

for lack of a better word, the child is God's "Son"

http://bugman123.com/Bible/JesusIsGod.html <-- link to a bunch of verses

If you would like to read up on it some more. Start in Hebrews chapter 1. It actually starts off discussing this very topic.

Upvote 0

Jpark

Oct 11, 2008
✟13,882.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Don't Christians believe that Jesus and Father in Heaven are the same.

If this is so why is Jesus called the son of God? How can the father and the son be the same being?

In John 20 when Jesus is resurrected he says to Mary, "Touch me not for I am not yet ascended to my fatther" and he goes on to say "And I ascend to my God and your God". So it seems here he is saying he is going up to be with God which means he can not be the same person?

In John 3 verse 16 it reads, "For God so loved the world that he sent his only begotten son" He sent his son, not he sent himself in the physical form?

In Acts 7 Verse 55 it says how Jesus is "standing on the right hand of God". Not in the same place as God he is by His side. So they must be seperate?

In Mathew 16 verses 16 and 17 Jesus mentions his father "which is in Heaven" so meaning he has his father in Heaven, not on Earth, in Heaven - SEPERATE!

So please help me but I feel like I am struggling. How can Jesus Christ and God be the same being ?

I'm sorry but I'm back to feeling pretty confused right now :(
You are mistaken. Jesus and the Father is everywhere. Not just in heaven. I know the Bible mentions Jesus being on the right hand side of the Father in heaven. But Psalm 139:7-8 clearly shows that God is everywhere.

Evidently, the problem is that you believe the Father is in heaven only. The Father is here on earth and in heaven.

2 Chronicles 6:18 &#8220;But will God indeed dwell with men on the earth? Behold, heaven and the heaven of heavens cannot contain You. How much less this temple which I have built!

Trinity is very difficult to understand so don't think about the Father and Son thing too much. Just believe that God is a Trinity and that He is a living God. Don't think so deeply on written code.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Peripatetic

Restless mind, peaceful soul.
Feb 28, 2010
✟22,095.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God the Father, Jesus the Son, and The Holy Spirit are all part of one God. However, keep in mind that Jesus stepped outside of His divinity when He became a man. For those years, there was some separation. For example, Jesus was in linear time, he wasn't omnipresent (everywhere at once), and he wasn't omniscient (all knowing). The Holy Spirit within Him allowed this divinity to come out sometimes (miracles, occasional reading of thoughts, etc.), but not always. That explains why Jesus often talked of the Father as a separate entity.

Upvote 0

SkyWishes

Apr 4, 2010
✟7,643.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Conservative
Some very good replies here. I like the idea of us being 2D and not being able to fully comprehend and 3D God. Also yes the son as h was born of Mary makes sense. In LDS scripture it is taught that he is God's son. I think the idea of them all being one feels a bit more like it makes sense to me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Weasel7711

I'm in love with a bunnymedic!
Jun 17, 2004
Virginia Beach
Visit site
✟13,220.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I was brought up Mormon and was taught all three are seperate however now I am finding out more about christianity and trying to understand it. I don't feel mormonism is for me and to be truthful I don't think I ever did feel it was for me. Anyway I'm trying to look at things differantly but its kinda hard when I was taught as a kid God and Jesus and the holy ghost are seperate. I will google the trinity.

And say a few prayers :prayer:

Smith's BOM said that they were one God, but later in History of the Church I don't think Smith could come to terms with how that is possible so he began to teach that they were 3 completely separate beings but one "in purpose."

Upvote 0

Johnnz

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2004
New Zealand
✟74,521.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
The doctrine of the Trinity was formalised as the result of some people challenging the status of Jesus in early times. Some (the Arians) denied that Jesus was divine. Others saw him as divine only when the Holy Spirit came on him at his baptism. Before that he was just a man. Athanasius was the person who led the debate and which led to the Nicene Creed being formulated in AD 325.

John
NZ

Upvote 0

oi_antz

Opposed to Untruth.
Apr 26, 2010
New Zealand
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Whenever you feel confused you have believed a lie - be aware of the thoughts in your mind, your inner dialogue can be possessed by spirits of both Good and Evil, the difference for Christians is that it never happens against the will of God - take it as a learning curve and repent of evil thoughts - consider what repentance means in a spiritual context instead of the carnal context for a while.

For your question: God's spirit is One with Christ, that is how Christ the counsellor can portray truth to us without fault. However, God does not have a fleshly body and mankind was not meant to know evil spirituality originally, it was only through the famous sin of Adam that we became perceptive to evil spirits. So God knowing that the only way to redeem mankind was to send the Holy Spirit, sent his son (yes, God has a son!). His son took on a fleshly form just like you and me, thereby making him appear to be separate from God because suddenly we see him as an equal. Remember that Jesus' gift to us was the Holy Spirit so we are indeed equal to Christ now.

So originally we were able to see God the father when He visited us in the Garden of Eden but now our world contains the evil spirits He can't stand to be here ;) putting it blunt for ya. Jesus can though because He came and saw it from our POV so He can Love us just the way we are. Get the message of repentance, it's not a matter of gaining perfection but retaining a purely Holy place for the spirit of God to dwell in our mind. How? Ask Him in prayer and be alert to evil thoughts which are dispelled at will in the name of Jesus.

Upvote 0

heymikey80

Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum viditur
Dec 18, 2005
✟34,309.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Some very good replies here. I like the idea of us being 2D and not being able to fully comprehend and 3D God. Also yes the son as h was born of Mary makes sense. In LDS scripture it is taught that he is God's son. I think the idea of them all being one feels a bit more like it makes sense to me.
Yeah, my preferred way of introducing this is very much like the 3D God.

God is trans-personal. But we're only personal. So He's going to look to us like multiple Persons, even though He's One God.

Scripture makes definite distinctions, "This is God, this is not. Don't mistake non-God from God." But Scripture identifies God as being God, in three Persons: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. We say these are God, the One God, because frankly, Scripture says so.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums