Are Eastern Catholics and traditional Catholics Orthodox in denial [CONTROVERSIAL]

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟285,172.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I was talking to a traditional Catholic and they recognize the errors of Vatican 2. Byzantine / Eastern Catholics also see the error of Rome such as the filoque. Most of it seems to be over the simplifification of the liturgy by Rome. While l I do NOT harbor any animosity towards Catholics I just seems like Byzantine Catholics and traditional Catholics would be better off converting with Orthodox instead of continuing the facade of being in communion with the Roman Church which over time has seriously degraded. George Joseph and Carl have really sacrificed the faith to modernity(colloqually known as wokeness) in a futile attempt to seem relevant. Perhaps we could use a form of ecumenicalism as a form to convert them to our side. Perhaps if needed we could convert entire parishes to Orthodoxy. I encourage Christians of all denominations to return to traditionalism.IF THIS BREAKS ANY GUIDELINES I APOLOGIZE
ok, back to OP. By all means. If "tradition" Catholics believe V2 was an error or see other errors than they should indeed go Eastern Orthodox if it is geographically feasible. Bit i do not see "wokeness" as liturgical dumbing down. perhaps some examples other than Clown and puppet masses which are aberrations and not the norm.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,471,648.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The fact that liturgical abuses exist is not evidence of "dumbing down" the liturgy. That's why it's considered to be an abuse after all. Rather it's evidence of a few rogue priests who have the opinion that they are smarter than the Church. It's unfortunate but it is a far cry from the norm, especially when you put it in context of the world wide Church.
that it exists at all shows a dumbing down. I am sure my Coptic friend would agree, liturgical abuse would be more akin to doing a vesperal liturgy (which is a thing) apart from your bishop’s blessing. the fact that something this extreme has been done by multiple priests multiple times shows a dumbing down has occurred.

Is it your opinion that God does not hear the prayers of pagans or in some way finds them to be evil or disgusting to Him?
of course He hears them. that’s not the issue. the issue is whether or not they should be welcomed and done in Christian churches. Church history says no.

and the prayers being evil or disgusting would depend on the content.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,471,648.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I am not advocating clown masses nor any other abnormality. Vernacular was a good and important option and that was a huge change.
The Mass is otherwise quite stable as it is. I don't see" dumbing down" anywhere. Perhaps in the homily? That would be up to individual priests but I still have not experienced it. In re-presenting the divine truths the liturgy is speaking to the times of today. I don't see the concern.
it’s in the approach to the service. the vernacular is actually the more ancient approach, so that’s not dumbing down. the clown mass existing at all wouldn’t happen unless a dumbing down already occurred.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟285,172.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
it’s in the approach to the service. the vernacular is actually the more ancient approach, so that’s not dumbing down. the clown mass existing at all wouldn’t happen unless a dumbing down already occurred.
I am not trying to be argumentative, but can you say more about "dumbing" down the liturgy and give examples?

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,471,648.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I am not trying to be argumentative, but can you say more about "dumbing" down the liturgy and give examples?
big one is the priest facing the people during the service. there is a huge theological reason the priest should face the same direction as the people.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟285,172.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
big one is the priest facing the people during the service. there is a huge theological reason the priest should face the same direction as the people.
I don't think that is dumbing down. Rather, it is emphasis on a different aspect of theology, such as God in our midst., just as in the early church. And maybe this then brings us to the immanent/transcendent paradox. God is both/and, not either/or. Ad Orientem and Ad Populam are both acceptable. No dumbing down going on, in my opinion. Just theological preference when there should not ne one.
Thanks for the example.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,471,648.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I don't think that is dumbing down. Rather, it is emphasis on a different aspect of theology, such as God in our midst., just as in the early church. And maybe this then brings us to the immanent/transcendent paradox. God is both/and, not either/or. Ad Orientem and Ad Populam are both acceptable. No dumbing down going on, in my opinion. Just theological preference when there should not ne one.
Thanks for the example.
what is the reason that priests face the same direction as the people?

Upvote 0

narnia59

Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2007
✟335,744.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
that it exists at all shows a dumbing down. I am sure my Coptic friend would agree, liturgical abuse would be more akin to doing a vesperal liturgy (which is a thing) apart from your bishop’s blessing. the fact that something this extreme has been done by multiple priests multiple times shows a dumbing down has occurred.
The result of a "dumbing down" of the priesthood and their seminary formation for sure. But not the liturgy, since those things are not part of the liturgy but an abberation of it. Your examples do not accurately reflect a "dumbing down" of the liturgy since they aren't a legitimate part of the liturgy at all.

of course He hears them. that’s not the issue. the issue is whether or not they should be welcomed and done in Christian churches. Church history says no.

and the prayers being evil or disgusting would depend on the content.
I ran into a lady one time at a monastery who had been a practicing Buddhist. She said that one day while doing her daily meditation as a Buddhist, Christ showed up and told her that she was his. She became a Christian because of that experience and calling. .

I have a hard time believing that Christ would have told her that prayer woud not have been welcome to have been prayed in one of His churches. But understand we will not agree on that point.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟285,172.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
what is the reason that priests face the same direction as the people?
As I said, one reason is acknowledging God in our midst, immanent. God is not just out there but also in here...on this altar...in each of us, especially as a community. We are sharing a meal.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,187,896.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
How has it been "dumbed down to the lowest level"?
I was using hyperbole. If the liturgy is being brought down to "meet us where we are", then it cannot be elevating us to a higher position.
God already met us where we are through His incarnation. Your attitude seems to suggest that wasn't enough.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,187,896.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I ran into a lady one time at a monastery who had been a practicing Buddhist. She said that one day while doing her daily meditation as a Buddhist, Christ showed up and told her that she was his. She became a Christian because of that experience and calling. .
It wasn't in the Liturgy though, was it. There is an implied suggestion that perhaps we could introduce Buddhist elements to the Liturgy to "meet Buddhists where they are". I hope you agree that such an implication is blasphemous.

• Agree
Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

narnia59

Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2007
✟335,744.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It wasn't in the Liturgy though, was it. There is an implied suggestion that perhaps we could introduce Buddhist elements to the Liturgy to "meet Buddhists where they are". I hope you agree that such an implication is blasphemous.
No, it wasn't during the Liturgy. Neither did the example Fr. Matt gave about the Buddha and JPII (although not accurate) occur during the Liturgy.

Whether or not a Buddhist "element" should be introduced to the Liturgy gets a little more dicey. Surely you are aware than a very common pagan claim would be that many of our Christian practices are not original but pre-existed Christianity and were elements of pagan rituals. Water cleaning rituals for example that are similar to Baptism. Annointing with oil predates Christianity. The practice of meditation spans across various religions. Those claims are not inaccurate.

St. John has no problem of adopting the pagan concept of "logos" and repurposing it for Christianity and attempt to bridge a pagan concept into a Christian understanding. Was he not meeting them where they were when he did that?

So my concern would not be about a specific practice as being "pagan". Because they don't own things like water and oil etc. My concern would be whether something is correctly directed within worship to the one true God.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟285,172.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I was using hyperbole. If the liturgy is being brought down to "meet us where we are", then it cannot be elevating us to a higher position.
God already met us where we are through His incarnation. Your attitude seems to suggest that wasn't enough.
It certainly can be elevating us. The liturgy is a representation of the entire Paschal mystery including the incarnation. But now that I think about it, it seems the dumbing down was done when the priest turned his back. It was is if saying God is out there and we need the priest in between us. Let him do the Latin prayers and we can do the rosary. That happened.

Since this is an EO thread the OP was about attracting unhappy Roman Catholics. If they find the EO liturgy more helpful and can appreciate it for whatever reasons, it may be a good thing for them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,471,648.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The result of a "dumbing down" of the priesthood and their seminary formation for sure. But not the liturgy, since those things are not part of the liturgy but an abberation of it. Your examples do not accurately reflect a "dumbing down" of the liturgy since they aren't a legitimate part of the liturgy at all.
you can’t dumb down seminary formation and not dumb down the liturgy.

not the same thing as inviting pagans to pray their prayers in Christian Churches. Abraham being called by God as a pagan isn’t the same as Israel setting up an idol of Baal in the Temple.

I have a hard time believing that Christ would have told her that prayer woud not have been welcome to have been prayed in one of His churches. But understand we will not agree on that point.
irrelevant. nowhere in Church history is it ever okay to let pagans do their own thing in Christian Churches

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,471,648.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
As I said, one reason is acknowledging God in our midst, immanent. God is not just out there but also in here...on this altar...in each of us, especially as a community. We are sharing a meal.
that still doesn’t justify why the priest’s position moved. we have that understanding without the priest being moved as did Rome prior to the change.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,471,648.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
But now that I think about it, it seems the dumbing down was done when the priest turned his back
that’s actually not what happened. the priest facing in the same direction is from the Temple and Tabernacle. the priest facing the people is the more recent innovation.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟285,172.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
that’s actually not what happened. the priest facing in the same direction is from the Temple and Tabernacle. the priest facing the people is the more recent innovation.
What about the last supper and early church? I mean, I don't know. When did the calibrant start facing "East"?

"Contrary to the usual depictions of the Last Supper, there would not even have been a central dining table, but small low tables set within reach of each diner. So orientation at the Eucharist would not have entered the picture until Christians abandoned the meal and moved the celebration from evening to morning; and in spite of claims to the contrary by some, there is no firm evidence for that transition taking place until the third century, and even then none of the evidence says anything about the direction that the presider faced."

that still doesn’t justify why the priest’s position moved. we have that understanding without the priest being moved as did Rome prior to the change.
The change better symbolizes that theological point, God in our midst, not just up there somewhere.

But I still do not see "dumbing down".

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,471,648.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
What about the last supper and early church? I mean, I don't know. When did the calibrant start facing "East"?

"Contrary to the usual depictions of the Last Supper, there would not even have been a central dining table, but small low tables set within reach of each diner. So orientation at the Eucharist would not have entered the picture until Christians abandoned the meal and moved the celebration from evening to morning; and in spite of claims to the contrary by some, there is no firm evidence for that transition taking place until the third century, and even then none of the evidence says anything about the direction that the presider faced."
read the OT and how the Temple and Tabernacle worship was done. that formed the basis for Christian worship since the first Christians were Jews.

The change better symbolizes that theological point, God in our midst, not just up there somewhere.
if that were true, it wouldn’t have taken 1900 years to realize that point.

But I still do not see "dumbing down".
you also have not answered my question.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,187,896.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
With all due respect to the learned Rev. Paul Bradshaw, the celebration of the Eucharist was never in the form of a meal with everyone reclining, nor did it resemble the iconic representations of the last supper, which are not intended to accurately portray the physical, but rather to teach the spiritual truth. From the little I know of Church history, I find his claims unrealistic and would not consider him as a reliable source.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟285,172.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
With all due respect to the learned Rev. Paul Bradshaw, the celebration of the Eucharist was never in the form of a meal with everyone reclining, nor did it resemble the iconic representations of the last supper, which are not intended to accurately portray the physical, but rather to teach the spiritual truth. From the little I know of Church history, I find his claims unrealistic and would not consider him as a reliable source.
Well until we can come up with a source clearly indicating Ad Orientum or Ad Populum in the early church we will be uncertain of the earliest practice. So it comes down to what the Church decides now. Again, if someone takes great issue with the Novus Ordo and Ad Populum a conversion might be in order. As a Roman Catholic, I prefer Ad Populum in vernacular and don't think there is anything dumb about it.

Upvote 0