✟14,800.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
seebs said:
Imagine, if you will, that a liberal Christian is just plain wrong, doesn't accept the Bible, and in the end has nothing to fall back on but a naive and simplistic trust that, somehow, Jesus will save him.
Is that not enough?

Jesus has already saved him. It is done. Saved is saved, there is no unsaved.

Upvote 0

elman

elman
Dec 19, 2003
Texas
✟39,197.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
seebs said:
Imagine, if you will, that a liberal Christian is just plain wrong, doesn't accept the Bible, and in the end has nothing to fall back on but a naive and simplistic trust that, somehow, Jesus will save him.

Is that not enough?
Not if he does not love his neighbor. First John. No love, not a child of God.

Upvote 0

Abbadon

Self Bias Resistor - goin' commando in a cassock!
Jan 26, 2005
Bible belt, unfortunatly
✟22,912.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
ONEGod said:
Gimme Gimme Gimme or your not Christian, fundie !
Ah to speak as a child again, undisciplined child, of course.
Christain nation ? Of course I should have said; Judeo-Christian nation ! ! !
There ! I FEEL

Sentences would be nice...

Upvote 0

elman

elman
Dec 19, 2003
Texas
✟39,197.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Foon Nerfdahl said:
What if he loves his neighbor and, like the FundaGelicals, votes for politicians that fight to deny health care to that neighbor?

(And that neighbor dies because he couldn't get annual checkups.)

That's called FundaGelical love.
Voting for people who would replace our present health system with a substandard one would not be a loving thing to do. Voting for a politician that will allow the welfare system to be abused and not used as it was supposed to be used is not loving your neighbor. Taking money from one neighbor to help another neighbor is not what we are called to do. The welfare system would be more palitable if it actually did that, instead of seting up huge buracracies where people divided the money among themselves instead of providing services to the needy.

Reactions: KCDAD
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LordoftheLeftHand

Jun 6, 2006
✟15,226.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
KCDAD said:
Those that point to America's "criminal, unethical or immoral" behavior hold America to a different standard than other countries. So if they would not hold France or Russia to the same standard it de-legitimizes their claims against America. Besides, of course, America's government is not Christian, Jewish or of any other religious or moral persuasion. Like any incorporated body it's interests and motivations are it's alone and not subject to anyone's "external" morality. The question should have been "why hold The United States to a different higher standard?"

You are right. I do hold America to a higher standard. Why? Because I'm an American!

I live here. I pay the bills for the military industrial complex (well at least a small portion of them). I feel (at least partially) responsible for her actions. I think this is a great country that does a lot of good around the world, but we also do bad (and if you are not willing to admit this, I think you are beyond simple jingoism and are just a fruit loop). I just want America to be the best it can be, and part of that is pointing out mistakes.

So I will continue to criticize the mistakes and hold America to a higher standard, for her own good.

LLH

Upvote 0

Mling

Knight of the Woeful Countenance (in training)
Jun 19, 2006
Here and there.
✟9,635.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Getting back to a question in the original post--if they came out with a liberal Bible, what would be in it?

I have often considered what I would put in a Bible, if I tranlated and composed one. It would have everything in it that the "regular" Bible has. It would also have the apocrypha, New Testament and Old, though it would be labled "Aprocrypha" and it's place and purpose in Scripture would be left up to the reader.

Most importantly, though, it would have footnotes. Lots and LOTS OF FOOTNOTES!!!! Loooove the footnotes! I might also leave untranslatable words untranslated, and explain their meaning in THE FOOTNOTES!!! Long, non-vital explanations can be moved to Endnotes.

Taking two birds with one stone, here's a sample, which should also answer another O.P. question.

Leviticus 18:22 of the M'ling Bible--You shall not lie with mankind as with woman. It is to'evah*

*"to'evah:" Hebrew. Appears to refer to a state of ritual uncleanliness, or a type of idolatry commited by immitating the customs of another culture ie. commiting acts which might be considered worship of that culture's diety. Is used in[list of citations, which I can't look up right now because the website won't come up] to refer to shaving, eating unclean foods, sacrificing one's child to a pagan god (see [endnote] for a discussion of alternate interpretations of this verse) or wearing clothing of mixed fabric types. See endnotes for a discussion of the particular cultural practices refered to in this verse.

Upvote 0

ONEGod

Feb 19, 2006
✟8,448.00
Faith
Christian
tulc
annoying white trash

Christain nation ? Of course I should have said; Judeo-Christian nation ! ! !

Actually, we aren't either one.
tulc(just so you know)

ONEGod:
I have heard many God haters/deniers insist it is not so, but still IT IS !!! AMEN !

LordoftheLeftHand

You are right. I do hold America to a higher standard. Why? Because I'm an American!
I live here. I pay the bills for the military industrial complex (well at least a small portion of them). I feel (at least partially) responsible for her actions. I think this is a great country that does a lot of good around the world, but we also do bad (and if you are not willing to admit this, I think you are beyond simple jingoism and are just a fruit loop). I just want America to be the best it can be, and part of that is pointing out mistakes.
So I will continue to criticize the mistakes and hold America to a higher standard, for her own good.

ONEGod:
Then by all means LET'S hold America to a higher standard and return to our JUDEO-CHRISTIAN ROOTS and lets stop the SAVAGE BUTCHERY of the unborn that moves the Lord to WRATH ! ! ! let's be the best we can be, AND GO BACK TO THE GOD THAT MADE US SO GREAT ! ! !

Mling

Getting back to a question in the original post--if they came out with a liberal Bible, what would be in it?

ONEGod:
I believe i've heard there already is a Satanic Bible out. Or would it be better said, Go your alternative way ?

Upvote 0

mark53

Veteran
Jan 16, 2005
Ingle Farm, Adelaide, South Australia
✟16,879.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Mling said:

I have often considered what I would put in a Bible, if I tranlated and composed one. It would have everything in it that the "regular" Bible has. It would also have the apocrypha, New Testament and Old, though it would be labled "Aprocrypha" and it's place and purpose in Scripture would be left up to the reader.

(leaving out end notes!! :p )

I would include most of the Gnostic writings, Dead Sea Scrolls and any other writings that have influenced Christian peoples over the centuries!! :clap:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

elman

elman
Dec 19, 2003
Texas
✟39,197.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Petvyn said:
If you don't believe in Christ and that he Saved our souls the day he died, you won't go to heaven. And no good deed you could do, can change that!

Christ is the only way!
That is why Jesus said on the last judgment he would divide the sheep and goats between those who believed He had saved their souls on the day He died and those that do not believe that. Matt 25:31 and following.

Upvote 0

Mling

Knight of the Woeful Countenance (in training)
Jun 19, 2006
Here and there.
✟9,635.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
That is why Jesus said on the last judgment he would divide the sheep and goats between those who believed He had saved their souls on the day He died and those that do not believe that. Matt 25:31 and following.

ummm.....if memory serves, the "sheep" fed him when he was hungry, gave him water when he thirsted, clothed him when he was naked and visited him when he was in prison--because they did this for the "least--" or the weakest. There is nothing in there about "you learned the right doctrine and believed it."

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.