Are breathing exercises okay?

peter19220

Jul 24, 2014
✟15,111.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello everyone! There has been something that bothers me lately. I have been reading a lot of self-help books, trying to improve my grades. There are a lot of methods of visual visualization which I know are New Age stuff and once I know it, I stopped trying it. But lately, I read a book called " The Willpower Instinct: How Self-Control Works, Why It Matters, and What You Can Do To Get More of It. Below are some paragraphs from the book:

“Neuroscientists have discovered that when you ask the brain to meditate, it gets better not just at meditating, but at a wide range of self-control skills, including attention, focus, stress management, impulse control, and self-awareness. People who meditate regularly aren’t just better at these things. Over time, their brains become finely tuned willpower machines. Regular meditators have more gray matter in the prefrontal cortex, as well as regions of the brain that support self-awareness[ not spiritually. It means aware of the fact that you need to keep studying instead of going to the fridge and eat a candy bar]

Meditation increases blood flow to the prefrontal cortex, in much the same way that lifting weights increases blood flow to your muscles. The brain appears to adapt to exercise in the same way that muscles do, getting both bigger and faster in order to get better at what you ask of it. So if you’re ready to train your brain, the following meditation technique will get the blood rushing to your prefrontal cortex—the closest we can get to speeding up evolution, and making the most of our brains’ potential.

Breath focus is a simple but powerful meditation technique for training your brain and increasing willpower. It reduces stress and teaches the mind how to handle both inner distractions (cravings, worries, desires) and outer temptations (sounds, sights, and smells). New research shows that regular meditation practice helps people quit smoking, lose weight, kick a drug habit, and stay sober. Whatever your “I will” and “I won’t” challenges are, this five-minute meditation is a powerful brain-training exercise for boosting your willpower.

Here’s how to get started:

1. Sit still and stay put .
Sit in a chair with your feet flat on the ground, or sit cross-legged on a cushion. Sit up straight and rest your hands in your lap. It’s important not to fidget when you meditate—that’s the physical foundation of self-control. If you notice the instinct to scratch an itch, adjust your arms, or cross and uncross your legs, see if you can feel the urge but not follow it. This simple act of staying still is part of what makes meditation willpower training effective. You’re learning not to automatically follow every single impulse that your brain and body produce.

2. Turn your attention to the breath.

Close your eyes or, if you are worried about falling asleep, focus your gaze at a single spot (like a blank wall, not the Home Shopping Network). Begin to notice your breathing. Silently say in your mind “inhale” as you breathe in and “exhale” as you breathe out. When you notice your mind wandering (and it will), just bring it back to the breath. This practice of coming back to the breath, again and again, kicks the prefrontal cortex into high gear and quiets the stress and craving centers of your brain .

3. Notice how it feels to breathe, and notice how the mind wanders.

After a few minutes, drop the labels “inhale/exhale.” Try focusing on just the feeling of breathing. You might notice the sensations of the breath flowing in and out of your nose and mouth. You might sense the belly or chest expanding as you breathe in, and deflating as you breathe out. Your mind might wander a bit more without the labeling. Just as before, when you notice yourself thinking about something else, bring your attention back to the breath. If you need help refocusing, bring yourself back to the breath by saying “inhale” and “exhale” for a few rounds. This part of the practice trains self-awareness along with self-control.

That’s pretty much it. I think breathing exercises are very similar to meditation. Basically, when I’m practicing this breathing exercise, I just sit still, trying to resist scratching an itch, moving my body and breathing as steady as I can. There is nothing like focusing on the universal mind, Zen, body energy etc. But I don’t know since so many other religions like Buddhism practices meditation which contains breathing exercises. There are many scientific significance for breathing exercises which are not religious but I worried this might conflict with my beliefs.
Thinking further, I control my breath when running; women control their breath during labor.
Is it okay with this breathing exercise? I just want to assure that this practice does not conflict with my beliefs. Thank you!

FanthatSpark

LImited Understanding
Oct 3, 2013
✟78,811.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Blessings Peter,

Gal. 5:23 Gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.

Your method to grasp the mind and body are your own in meditation. Also your belief is your own and conflicts there in to breathing exercise. Hope above verse sheds some light to your conflicts of belief.

Upvote 0