Arcade Disgust

CHR15T05

Christian Fundamentalist
Nov 15, 2003
✟15,602.00
Faith
Christian
I think the issue is home technology.

In the good old days, when most of us had something like a C64 or a spec 48k, a trip to the arcade to empry our pockets of cash was worth it. Why? Because our home systems could not offer anything near the experience the arcade could. The graphics were better, the sound was better, the whole thing was light years ahead of what was attainable to the average person in thier home.

Anyone remember eagerly awaiting a port of a classic arcade game to the home system only to find it was AWFUL because of the limitations of your home computer? Outrun on the Spec 128k.... man was that bad!

Even when systems went 16bit, the arcade could still offer more.

However now the door has swung the other way. At an offordable price ANYONE can own an Xbox, Game Cube, PS2 and the graphics and sound are easily as good as in the arcade. Get a mid/top range PC and things are BETTER than the archade. So that brings things to a level playing feild...... almost.

The thing is, with the roll out of affordable broadband, lets face it, gaming has changed AGAIN. Single player games ARE still fun, but at the end of the day, there is nothing like logging on and playing in a team of 8 to 16 against an opposing force, working as a team, chatting to REAL people.

The archade, while having link up games, can not compete with this.... or maybe it should try.

What the archade CAN still offer is the extra realism. Sit you in a racing seat that moves with pedals and wheel to hand. Put you in a cockpit that rotates 360 deg on x,y and z axis. Give you a jet ski to sit on that bounces with the waves on the game.

While some of this is available for the home, most is not (at an affordable price) and in my mind, THIS is the ONLY edge archade games have left.

This I think is why Cyber Cafes and LAN centres are on the increase, and Arcades are on the decrease.

Perhaps some of these classic link up arcade games could be made to also talk via a cable net connection, so that say 8 racers in 1 arcade could in theory race against 8 others some where across town. Perhaps with this, arcades could embrase the "clan" culture.

Would this tip the balance? I think not, but it may keep arcades alive just a little bit longer.

Hmm.... A total imersion system with VR Head Gear, tread mill, and gyroscopic gun, in a motion capture field... playing something simular to Halo/CS/UT against other players in the same archade and across the web........ now THAT I would pay money for :) ..or I might just go and play Laser Quest... hmm

Upvote 0

Kokopelli

Stoic seeker of the truth
Dec 11, 2003
the arm pit of the world
✟16,447.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Reason for the increased price of arcade games is most likely increased cost of living. Several years ago, most games only cost a quarter with the really "good" ones costing $0.50. It's the same thing with pay phones. Around 10-years ago, you could make a call from a pay phone for about $0.25. That increased to $0.35, and now costs anyone living in Florida a nice $0.50 to make a phone call.

The last arcade I went into offered nothing new. Had the same regurgitated **** that was around in the early 90s. The games usually consist of several street fighter clones offering nothing really new, several linked non-realistic racing games, and your average cloned area-51 shooters. (which is a clone of a title that won't come to mind)

Couple of the newer games I've seen that I'd view worth playing are some of the newer flight simulators (have an F-18 combat style sim and a 767 sim complete with flaps, gear, and throttle controls). The other style feature at a mall here was based more on the virtual reality style of game. You basically held a transmitter/controller resembling a samurai sword and slashed your character through feudal Japan.

Upvote 0

Kelly

Dungeon Master
Mar 20, 2003
USA
Visit site
✟24,334.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I never go to coinop arcades anymore, not with the PC, Xbox, PS2 being so great. All the games in the arcade now are the 'wacky controller' variety. Skateboards, bikes, skies. It's all they can do to compete against home system that often surpass them.

Pinball is still big in certain arcades.

Upvote 0

InnerPhyre

Nov 13, 2003
✟71,967.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I remember the good ol' days of playing Street Fighter 2 for a quarter in the arcades....even before that, Pole Position and Pacman......sigh......$5 would let you play for a looooong time. Now some games at the nicer arcardes cost up to $1.50!! I haven't been into one in years, except for the game section of Dave & Busters. Time's they are a'changin :)

Upvote 0

Grolin

Jan 10, 2004
Austin, TX
✟384.00
Faith
Christian
If any of you live in the Houston, TX area and are into fighting games (like Street Fighter kind of stuff) then check out Stargate. Just don't get sad if you lose a lot, 'cuz it's THE center for competition in Texas (or the whole south, if you ask me)
Several games cost only 25 cents, though the newer and big tournament games cost 50 cents most days. There are quarter days for those, though, forgot the schedule.
Weekly tournaments on Tuesdays, regional tournaments every few months, and the annual Texas Showdown tournament (it's BIG). TS4 is next week, March 12-14, and lots of really good players are coming in... including the undisputed Marvel vs Capcom 2 US (and thus world ^_^ ) champion.

(Um... in short, I guess I have access to a good arcade, haha.)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums