Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others

"... their records of consecrations don’t even go back as far as the Reformation." I imagine the same issue is found in the Eastern Orthodox as well.

Yours in the Lord,

jm

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,728.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate

"... their records of consecrations don’t even go back as far as the Reformation." I imagine the same issue is found in the Eastern Orthodox as well.

Yours in the Lord,

jm

From my analysis of this subject, both Orthodox (Eastern and Oriental) and Lutheran, for example, Church of Sweden, lines of apostolic succession are well documented, and this represents a point of potential harmony and reconciliation.

In the case of the Roman Catholic Church a few things create confusion, such as the tendency of Popes to unilaterally consecrate bishops, and to control the translation of bishops between dioceses, and also the confusion introduced by the unusual institution of the College of Cardinals.

Now historically, not all bishops in one of the ancient churches were necessarily members of the Holy Synod, and it is not extremely unusual for the Roman Church to have a subset of senior bishops with greater authority, but there are several aspects to the college of Cardinals which make it somewhat unique and unusual, for example, the idea that each Cardinal is a either a titular bishop of one of the Suburbicarian Sees surrounding Rome, such as Ostia, or the titular priest of one of the ancient churches within Rome, or one of seven titular deacons. These titles are held in addition to other titles, so for example, the Archbishop of a major city, or the primate of one of the sui juris Eastern Catholic Churches, such as the Maronite Catholic Patriarch of Antioch, might be a Cardinal as well.

Additionally, Popes can appoint members to the College of Cardinals in secret, an appointment known only to them, however, when the Pope dies these cardinals naturally lose their status and do not participate in the Conclave.

It is due to features like these that the Roman Catholic apostolic succession can become convoluted, but they do have it.

The other major denominations I am aware of that have apostolic succession, according to the Augustinian notion of the concept, include, among others, the Scandinavian Lutheran churches, the Church of England and most other Anglican churches, the Oriental Orthodox, the Assyrian Church of the East, the Ancient Church of the East, the Old Catholics, the Eastern Orthodox (including the canonical churches as well as most of the Old Calendarists and, in a somewhat confused way, most of the Old Believers except obviously for those Old Believers who, in an extreme interpretation of the liturgical reforms of Patriarch Nikon and the more strict model of Apostolic Succession of St. Cyprian of Carthage, which differs from that of St. Augustine in that it becomes invalid in the case of schismatic or doctrinally heterodox bishops, came to believe that all the bishops in the world had become extinct, and thus the priestless Old Believers, after the repose of their last parish priests, simply stopped celebrating sacraments that require a presbyter or bishop, which means only Baptism and Holy Matrimony (among most; some actually stopped being married for a lack of clergy). Their parishes still featured the iconostasis, but the icons were placed on a wall with no Holy Doors or Deacons’ Doors to the altar beyond, as one would find in an Eastern Orthodox or Ukrainian Lutheran or Byzantine Catholic or Coptic Orthodox church*.

Curiously the United Methodists also have apostolic succession albeit in an irregular way, but share the view of the LCMS that it is not required. I believe the Moravian bishops also have Apostolic succession, but I am not sure.

Also, on that note, I can’t recall if the Ukrainian Lutherans have bishops or apostolic succession. Unlike the Baltic Lutherans, some of whom if I recall are in communion, or altar and pulpit fellowship, with the LCC/LCMS, the Ukrainians use a modified form of the Byzantine Rite liturgy, from which the Lutheran church obtained the Litany of Peace, which can be found in the 2006 Lutheran Service Book.

My own view on the subject is influenced by both the LCMS position and that of Martin Luther, and that of St. Cyprian of Carthage, in that I regard doctrinal orthodoxy and apostolic continuity in terms of doctrine as being of greater importance than direct apostolic succession, particularly via the Augustinian model, but at the same time I regard the latter as nice to have. But I think the Lutherans were correct in the emergency faced by Martin Luther, in that if a scenario occurred in which the entire hierarchy became corrupted, with all bishops adhering to the traditional faith being killed, in the event of such a disaster, the Church would survive on the basis of the preservation of those things Luther regarded as important, which I would call Apostolic Continuity. And I think Martin Luther made an important point concerning this.

*Lutherans managed to preserve, and in the 19th century in Denmark and Sweden, in many instances iconographic features such as rood screens and chancel screens, which amount to the Western equivalents of the Eastern iconostasis or the Armenian bema** that were removed in Catholic churches and by crypto-Calvinist iconoclasts. Curiously the Franciscans and Dominicans were opposed to rood screens and caused most to be removed.

** This differs from the Jewish or Assyrian Bema, in that in Armenian churches the altar itself is elevated and there is a curtain which can conceal or reveal it, but underneath that curtain, between it and the floor of the nave, there is a wall on which icons are painted. At the Church of the Nativity in Bethlehem, which is jointly used by the Greeks, Armenians and Roman Catholics, with the Syriac Orthodox and Coptic Orthodox using the immediately adjacent St. Mary’s, the altar follows the Armenian design, but is two tiered, so under the main altar is, instead of an iconographic bema, a grotto over the exact spot where these churches believe that St. Mary gave birth to our Lord.

• Informative
Reactions: tampasteve
Upvote 0

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟567,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
I found this compendium of the Patriachs of the ancient Pentarchy looking for something else entirely: Popes and Patriarchs | Christian History Institute

It should be noted that the compiler chose to follow the Eastern, rather than Oriental, line for Alexandria.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,728.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
I found this compendium of the Patriachs of the ancient Pentarchy looking for something else entirely: Popes and Patriarchs | Christian History Institute

It should be noted that the compiler chose to follow the Eastern, rather than Oriental, line for Alexandria.

In order to uphold my well deserved reputation as the most pedantic member of ChristianForums, I feel compelled to say that following the Eastern Orthodox hierarchy instead of the Oriental Orthodox I would expect applies also to Antioch, and in the case of the Armenians, Constantinople and Jerusalem as well. I would be genuinely surprised if anyone did an ecumenical compendium prior to the 1980s at the earliest.

Still, it is a lovely find, so thank you for sharing that.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟778,161.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Curiously the United Methodists also have apostolic succession albeit in an irregular way, but share the view of the LCMS that it is not required. I believe the Moravian bishops also have Apostolic succession, but I am not sure.
I believe likewise the ELCA would fall under this same category. Having, IIRC received their AS through the Episcopal Church but not seeing it as required.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,728.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
I believe likewise the ELCA would fall under this same category. Having, IIRC received their AS through the Episcopal Church but not seeing it as required.

Good to know. I would have thought they had received it at least in the case of the Augustana Synod from the Church of Sweden.

Upvote 0

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟567,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
When ELCA and TEC entered full communion all of the bishops were supposed to receive consecration sub conditione. However, many were reticent to do so, not really believing it important. Last I knew, there were still holdouts.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
When ELCA and TEC entered full communion all of the bishops were supposed to receive consecration sub conditione. However, many were reticent to do so, not really believing it important. Last I knew, there were still holdouts.
Interesting to note that the TEC is in full communion with those who are high Church liturgical and seem to affirm apostolic succession, although the ELCA is in full communion with various Christian bodies that do not necessarily hold onto AS or are considered liturgical.

• Informative
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,728.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
В традиционном христианстве, священник и мирянин сакраментально отличаются, по благодати они не равны.

In traditional Christianity, a priest and a layman are sacramentally different, they are not equal in grace.

I don’t believe that’s correct, since within Orthodoxy lay monks and nuns who have professed lifetime vows are eligible to receive the Great Schema, which is the highest monastic attainment, which bishops are not supposed to receive (although some probably have). Of course there are also schemadeacons and hieroschemamonks (monastic priests who have been tonsured into receiving the Great Schema).

Rather the Orthodox Priests are Presbyters, elders with a special disposition to administer the Eucharist and other sacraments under the supervision of the Bishops, who have apostolic succession. So it would be correct to say that priests have a special grace, insofar as they are blessed to serve as ministers of the sacraments, and the same is true of Deacons, who are ministers of the Chalice in the Eucharist and assist the priests in the liturgy without the restrictions that apply to Subdeacons or to Readers (who are not allowed to touch the Holy Table; if I recall Subdeacons can touch the Holy Table and thus assist with it, but they are not ministers of the chalice, unlike Deacons).

However having a special grace does not mean having more grace or being spiritually superior. This is why we have some saints in Orthodoxy who are laity yet are superior to most saints who are clergy, for example, St. Anthony the Great and St. Paul the Hermit. And we also have some hierodeacons who were as important as any hieromonks or bishops, for example, St. Ephraim the Syrian.

Thus, without suggesting we should be disobedient to presbyters, God forbid, since as elders they represent the bishop and the bishops are the successors of the Apostles, it is not inherently the case that the presbyter is better than the layman in terms of being a more faithful follower of God or less sinful or in other respects more holy. Indeed occasionally we come across presbyters who are hypocrites, who ideally would not have been ordained, but it is not always possible for bishops to weed out the bad candidates, and also a good priest can degenerate into a bad priest by giving into the passions, and what is more, there are occasionally bad bishops. Indeed some of the worst heretics had been legitimately ordained as bishops, such as Eusebius of Nicomedia, or Nestorius, or Paul of Samosata.

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,751,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
ADVISOR HAT

This thread had a clean up. As a reminder, the site rules include:

Congregational Forum Restrictions​

Members who do not truly share the core beliefs and teachings of a specific congregational forum may post in fellowship or ask questions, but they may not teach or debate within the forum​

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,751,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
ADVISOR HAT

This thread had a clean up. As a reminder, the site rules include:

Congregational Forum Restrictions​

Members who do not truly share the core beliefs and teachings of a specific congregational forum may post in fellowship or ask questions, but they may not teach or debate within the forum​

Upvote 0