Visit site
✟59,965.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Truly, Divine Mercy does sound like a wonderful alternative to assisted suicide. Tears were rolling down my face as I read that there is something like that available, something that confirms a person's value, even when s/he is terminal, and unable to do anything but be in that bed...

However, do they offer medications/other treatments that alleviate suffering? Are they only prolonging a terminally ill patient's suffering? To me, it sounds crass and ill-intentioned to do that.

(Like I said in a completely unrelated thread, I don't have it all figured out yet.)

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,671,945.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Truly, Divine Mercy does sound like a wonderful alternative to assisted suicide. Tears were rolling down my face as I read that there is something like that available, something that confirms a person's value, even when s/he is terminal, and unable to do anything but be in that bed...

However, do they offer medications/other treatments that alleviate suffering? Are they only prolonging a terminally ill patient's suffering? To me, it sounds crass and ill-intentioned to do that.

(Like I said in a completely unrelated thread, I don't have it all figured out yet.)
They offer palliative care as well. It is not so much to prolong life but not to shorten it either. It is very faith based.

Upvote 0

s_gunter

Contributor
Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2003
Visit site
✟59,965.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sorry I wrote it that way, Michie. I'm still touchy about this one. I just recently lost my beloved aunt and it still torments me. Was there more we could've done that we didn't do/didn't know to do? She was physically, emotionally, and likely spiritually suffering so much, she really wanted to end it all, even by her own hand. She desperately wanted it all to just stop. We did the best we could, but the best we could sometimes just isn't good enough.

My husband reminds me that if anything more was done, we'd've only prolonged her pain. He's right (I hate it that he's right), but prolonging her pain is the very last thing I'd want to do. When you're face to face with this issue with someone you love so much, it's not hard to see the point of view of those who wish assisted suicide legal, as rotten as that sounds. You too just want it to end because you don't want your loved one hurting that much anymore. :(

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,671,945.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sorry I wrote it that way, Michie. I'm still touchy about this one. I just recently lost my beloved aunt and it still torments me. Was there more we could've done that we didn't do/didn't know to do? She was physically, emotionally, and likely spiritually suffering so much, she really wanted to end it all, even by her own hand. She desperately wanted it all to just stop. We did the best we could, but the best we could sometimes just isn't good enough.

My husband reminds me that if anything more was done, we'd've only prolonged her pain. He's right (I hate it that he's right), but prolonging her pain is the very last thing I'd want to do. When you're face to face with this issue with someone you love so much, it's not hard to see the point of view of those who wish assisted suicide legal, as rotten as that sounds. You too just want it to end because you don't want your loved one hurting that much anymore. :(
Been there. But palliative care is a blessing. That is what it is about. The whole person. Physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually. Not only for the patients, but their loved ones as well.

Upvote 0

s_gunter

Contributor
Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2003
Visit site
✟59,965.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Been there. But palliative care is a blessing. That is what it is about. The whole person. Physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually. Not only for the patients, but their loved ones as well.
Obviously, we didn't have access to this. She didn't even have access to religious personnel (a priest/pastor/anything). All we had was your typical convalescent home staff who were way too eager to free the room so someone with other-than-Medicaid insurance could move in. What my aunt had was so cold. I was thinking how nice it would have been for my aunt and her family if we had something like Divine Mercy to help ALL of us.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,671,945.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Amen. And I am so sorry. May God bring you comfort and peace and your aunt resting in the presence of God. *hugs*
Obviously, we didn't have access to this. She didn't even have access to religious personnel (a priest/pastor/anything). All we had was your typical convalescent home staff who were way too eager to free the room so someone with other-than-Medicaid insurance could move in. What my aunt had was so cold. I was thinking how nice it would have been for my aunt and her family if we had something like Divine Mercy to help ALL of us.

Upvote 0

s_gunter

Contributor
Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2003
Visit site
✟59,965.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Amen. And I am so sorry. May God bring you comfort and peace and your aunt resting in the presence of God. *hugs*
She passed on almost 2 years ago, and it only gets me hard on anniversary dates, her birthday, things like that. Most of the time, I'm okay. :)

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,671,945.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I know. You never completely get over it.
She passed on almost 2 years ago, and it only gets me hard on anniversary dates, her birthday, things like that. Most of the time, I'm okay. :)

Upvote 0