AOG and Christian Pacifism

M

Michael Snow

"Prior to 1967, the Assemblies of God, along with the majority of other Pentecostal denominations, officially opposed Christian participation in war and considered itself a peace church.[10] The US Assemblies of God continues to give full doctrinal support to members who are led by religious conscience to pacifism." --from Wikipedia

A lot of people in our denomination probably don't know that.

I first learned of that about 1980 when I was doing research for my book on Christian Pacifism and read a Masters Thesis on it.

This is the 30th Anniversary of the book and it is now an ebook for Nook and Kindle where you can read some reviews and with the Kindle "Look Inside" feature, you can read my story.
BARNES & NOBLE | Christian Pacifism: Fruit of the Narrow Way by Michael Snow, mikesnow.org | NOOK Book (eBook)

REVIEWS, here:
http://www.amazon.com/Christian-Pac...KH62/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323375088&sr=8-1

Last edited:

saved24

Forgiven
Site Supporter
Oct 21, 2011
Canada
✟865,192.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I didn't know that. I didn't really learn a lot about what Pentecostals believed growing up, but then we did not always go to Pentecostal churches, we went to a few Charasmatic churches, a Gospel Chapel, and even an United Church for a few years.

Thanks for sharing and congrats on your book.

Upvote 0
M

Michael Snow

I didn't know that. I didn't really learn a lot about what Pentecostals believed growing up, but then we did not always go to Pentecostal churches, we went to a few Charasmatic churches, a Gospel Chapel, and even an United Church for a few years.

Thanks for sharing and congrats on your book.

I grew up in the Methodist church and have had years in Baptist and CMA.

Upvote 0

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I knew AG supported those who believed they should be pacifistic. I didn't realize they promoted it more in the past. I really think the American churches have missed God's will in this support of every American war in my life time. Often the churches were the last to say we should be in this war.

Its my understanding that our founding fathers didn't like all the wars they saw in their recent past in Europe and wanted it hard for us to get into war. So Congress had to declare war before the President was to send troops. Got to like Ron Paul on that point. But presidents be seem to want to go around our constitution. Where is the church in saying that is wrong? Where is the church in saying peace is a better way. Just because Jesus turned over a few tables in the temple court some Christians say we can go to war! Notice Jesus didn't cause anyone a a loss in what he did, and nowhere near killed anyone.

*still a love and peace hippie at heart.

Upvote 0

Optimus Fortis

N°6
Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2011
UK
✟35,817.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I really think the American churches have missed God's will in this support of every American war in my life time. Often the churches were the last to say we should be in this war.

This is my stumbling block even though I am not a pacifist and I accept that there can be "just" war. War is supposed to be the last of last resorts but in practice politicians and the behest of their banker masters plan for it.

As you say, the American churches have supported every war in your lifetime. There can be no way that all of these can be "just". Most of these wars have occurred outside the American hemisphere so it can be said that Christian churches support wars that don't include the self-defence justification.

Upvote 0
M

Michael Snow

New youtube video "Biblical Pacifism" by Robert Roberg is excellent. It traces the roots of pacifism in the Old Testament, Yahweh is a warrior, etc.
[All in all excellent. I would just note that in his brief remarks on Constantine, his view on the Christian holidays is not supported by history.]

New, only 2 views....share it with others.

Biblical Pacifism - YouTube

Upvote 0
M

Michael Snow

A review that I had missed because it is posted on the amazon page for the hard copy rather than the Kindle page.

Beautifully Written with Truth and Grace,
December 2, 2011
By
G. Dill "Watchman" (Euless, TX United States) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
This review is from: Christian pacifism: Fruit of the narrow way (Paperback)
Beautifully written. A much needed understanding for our time. One of the best books I've read on pacifism.

We can justify many of our actions from the Old Testament, including the support for war and violence. But, a closer examination of the OT will reveal that God does not accept or condone violence. I was surprised to learn that King David was not given the opportunity to build the Jewish temple because of all the blood he had shed in time of war. Mr. Snow provides many other examples taken from Scripture that supports pacifism. These passages are most prevalent in the New Testament for any disciple of Jesus Christ to follow. But, clearly pacifism is the way of the disciple. Violence, war, and military force is only the easy way out. Nevertheless, pacifism must always be lived with the Spirit of Christ, otherwise it is done in vain.

As a 10-year military veteran who struggled with this issue while serving in the Armed Forces, ultimately leading to my departure from the service; it was refreshing to hear the testimony of Mr. Snow who also struggled with this issue as well during his time in service. I am glad to see more fellow Christians examine their hearts and prayerfully reconsider the charge Jesus gives us to "turn the other cheek" and to "love our enemies". No disciple of Christ should kill anther human being, especially in light of the fact that there is not a single instance in all of Scripture where a follower of Jesus took up a sword to fight against another man....

Upvote 0
M

Michael Snow

Christian Pacifism: Fruit of the Narrow Way will be free on Amazon for KINDLE, PC, Mac from Wed. 7 Mar thru Sunday.

Please feel free to pass on or post this info elsewhere.

Amazon allows authors to make a one-time, five-day free offer.

Due to conditions, I had to take it off from Nook for now.

KindleCover-1.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Laura Phillips

Laura Phillips
Mar 5, 2012
Heaven
✟8,052.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Green
"Prior to 1967, the Assemblies of God, along with the majority of other Pentecostal denominations, officially opposed Christian participation in war and considered itself a peace church.[10] The US Assemblies of God continues to give full doctrinal support to members who are led by religious conscience to pacifism." --from Wikipedia

WOW I AM SO GLAD I JOINED AOG!!!!!! for real

A lot of people in our denomination probably don't know that.

I first learned of that about 1980 when I was doing research for my book on Christian Pacifism and read a Masters Thesis on it.

This is the 30th Anniversary of the book and it is now an ebook for Nook and Kindle where you can read some reviews and with the Kindle "Look Inside" feature, you can read my story.
BARNES & NOBLE | Christian Pacifism: Fruit of the Narrow Way by Michael Snow, mikesnow.org | NOOK Book (eBook)

Christian Pacifism: Fruit of the Narrow Way: Michael Snow: Amazon.com: Kindle Store

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Aijalon

Sayin' it like it is
Jun 4, 2012
✟17,356.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Since none of the governments of the world are Godly, or in any true sense, just, none of the wars they wage are just. No war is morally right unless it is specifically ordered by God. Therefore there is no Christian mandate for waging holy war unless Christ is the leader of that war (physically). As mentioned above, discipleship does require pacifism, which would appear to include both war, and even self defense.

But realistically speaking, war and violence are a fact of life, and all of it will be judged in the end. I am not convinced in my mind that the violence and poverty caused by war is any more just or unjust than the violence and poverty caused by crime and fraud.

Upvote 0
M

Michael Snow

Assemblies of God
Resolution Concerning the Attitude of the General Council of the Assemblies of God Toward any Military Service which Involves the Actual Participation in the Destruction of Human Life.
While recognizing human Government as of divine ordination and affirming our unswerving loyalty to the Government of the United States, nevertheless we are constrained to define our position with reference to the taking of human life.
WHEREAS, in the Constitutional Resolution adopted at the Hot Springs General Council, April 1-10, 1914, we plainly declare the Holy Inspired Scriptures to be the all-sufficient rule of faith and practice, and
WHEREAS the Scriptures deal plainly with the obligations and relations of humanity, setting forth the principles of “Peace on earth, good will toward men.” (Luke 2:14); and
WHEREAS we, as followers of the Lord Jesus Christ, the Prince of Peace, believe in implicit obedience to the Divine commands and precepts which instruct us to “Follow peace with all men,” (Heb. 12:14); “Thou shalt not kill,” (Exodus 20:13); “Resist not evil,” (Matt. 5:39); Love your enemies,” (Matt. 5:44): etc. and
WHEREAS these and other Scriptures have always been accepted and interpreted by our churches as prohibiting Christians from shedding blood or taking human life;
THEREFORE we, as a body of Christians, while purposing to fulfill all the obligations of loyal citizenship, are nevertheless constrained to declare we cannot conscientiously participate in war and armed resistance which involves the actual destruction of human life, since this is contrary to our view of the clear teachings of the inspired Word of God, which is the sole basis of our faith.
Weekly Evangel, August 4, 1917, p. 6.

From Jay Beaman's book
Pentecostal Pacifism

Just to note: my book is now again available in Nook format as well as Kindle

Upvote 0
M

Michael Snow

allAfrica.com: Nigeria: Christians Will Not Retaliate Church Attacks - CAN

Pray for these faithful brothers.

Nigeria: Christians Will Not Retaliate Church Attacks - CAN
Tagged: Conflict, Nigeria, Religion, West Africa
By Adewale Giwa, 23 August 2012
Comment (1)

Akure — National President of Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) Pastor Ayo Oritsejafor yesterday said Christians will not retaliate despite killing of their members and attack on churches in some parts of the north.

Oritsejafor said at CAN's extra-ordinary council meeting of in Akure that the association will continue to pray for the peaceful co-existence of the country.

"We will not encourage our people to carry arms against anybody whatsoever the situation may be. For those that are behind Boko Haram, you come to us with AK47, bombs, charms and other dangerous weapons, but we come to you in the name of God.

"I want to assure Christians in Nigeria that Christ has always been with his people. He will never give victory to those persecuting Christians and the Church. Whoever is trying to exterminate Christians and Christianity from Nigeria is neither pleasing God nor his people", he said.

Upvote 0

dragongunner

Jul 30, 2012
Indiana
✟9,578.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
A review that I had missed because it is posted on the amazon page for the hard copy rather than the Kindle page.

Beautifully Written with Truth and Grace,
December 2, 2011
By
G. Dill "Watchman" (Euless, TX United States) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
This review is from: Christian pacifism: Fruit of the narrow way (Paperback)
Beautifully written. A much needed understanding for our time. One of the best books I've read on pacifism.

We can justify many of our actions from the Old Testament, including the support for war and violence. But, a closer examination of the OT will reveal that God does not accept or condone violence. I was surprised to learn that King David was not given the opportunity to build the Jewish temple because of all the blood he had shed in time of war. Mr. Snow provides many other examples taken from Scripture that supports pacifism. These passages are most prevalent in the New Testament for any disciple of Jesus Christ to follow. But, clearly pacifism is the way of the disciple. Violence, war, and military force is only the easy way out. Nevertheless, pacifism must always be lived with the Spirit of Christ, otherwise it is done in vain.

As a 10-year military veteran who struggled with this issue while serving in the Armed Forces, ultimately leading to my departure from the service; it was refreshing to hear the testimony of Mr. Snow who also struggled with this issue as well during his time in service. I am glad to see more fellow Christians examine their hearts and prayerfully reconsider the charge Jesus gives us to "turn the other cheek" and to "love our enemies". No disciple of Christ should kill anther human being, especially in light of the fact that there is not a single instance in all of Scripture where a follower of Jesus took up a sword to fight against another man....

Concerning King David....I did not know that it was because of the blood he shed in "war" that prevented him.....that does not seem logical to me because David said that God taught his figures to make war....an again God said when you see the wind blow through the trees, then there attack the enemy.....?.....so God teaches an helps David in the Battle then punishes him for it....?.......What I see in the scripture is not this at all, but the reason God layed "blood on Davids hands" was because he had Bathsheba's husband murdered so he could marry her, his name I can't remember but it translates to "Light of Jehovah", when God punished David it caused the lives of many inocent Isrelites, an believe God layed this on David as well. God allowed Solomon to build the Temple yet Soloman in his first days had his bodygaurd execute at least one of his enemies......intersted in your thoughts on this.

I am not a pacifist, however I would never judge anyone who truly was a pacifist. Each shall stand before our God with our hearts an consience open.

Upvote 0
M

Michael Snow

Concerning King David....I did not know that it was because of the blood he shed in "war" that prevented him..........What I see in the scripture is not this at all, but the reason God layed "blood on Davids hands" was because he had Bathsheba's husband murdered so he could marry her, his name I can't remember but it translates to "Light of Jehovah", when God punished David it caused the lives of many inocent Isrelites, an believe God layed this on David as well. ......intersted in your thoughts on this.

Just to say that the Scripture is clear about the "why"
1 Chron. 22

"“My son, I had it in my heart to build a house for the Name of the Lord my God. 8 But this word of the Lord came to me: ‘You have shed much blood and have fought many wars. You are not to build a house for my Name..."

1 Chron. 28 "...But God said to me, ‘You are not to build a house for my Name, because you are a warrior and have shed blood.’"

It relates to holiness and God's house. And in the NT "we" are that temple.

Upvote 0