Dallas
✟892,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Even when they condition their answer as provisional and are willing to change it when they find they were wrong? To me, that seems a testimony to their credibility.
Touché, perhaps I should’ve chosen a better word like accuracy. I wasn’t referring to their credibility in reference to their integrity but instead their credibility as being accurate.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟892,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have no idea, but you insist on it with vehemence. I have never understood why anyone would insist on the literal inerrancy of Genesis.
See, it’s called a forum where people come to discuss different topics. The way it works is you present your argument and I present mine and we discuss and debate the topic. That’s how discussions work. Are you implying that I’m not permitted to present my side of the discussion?

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟892,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have no idea, but you insist on it with vehemence. I have never understood why anyone would insist on the literal inerrancy of Genesis.
Because Genesis 1 and 2 can ONLY come from one of two sources. They either came from God who was the ONLY One there to witness it, or it came from man’s imagination which would mean it has no place in the Bible. Which do you think it came from?

Upvote 0

sfs

Jun 30, 2003
Massachusetts
✟343,554.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Because Genesis 1 and 2 can ONLY come from one of two sources. They either came from God who was the ONLY One there to witness it, or it came from man’s imagination which would mean it has no place in the Bible. Which do you think it came from?
Or they came from man's imagination as prompted by God. Or they came from theological insights from God expressed by human authors in their own culturally appropriate idiom. Or they came directly from God but were later extensively modified by editors. Or they came from Satan. Or Genesis 1 and Genesis 2 came from different gods.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,914,293.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Or Genesis 1 and Genesis 2 came from different gods.

Why then did Jesus quote from both Genesis 1 and Genesis 2 as authoritative Scripture?

Matthew 19:3 ¶ The Pharisees also came unto him, tempting him, and saying unto him, Is it lawful for a man to put away his wife for every cause?
4 And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female,
5 And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?
6 Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

Genesis 1:27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

Genesis 2:24 Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.

• Winner
Reactions: BNR32FAN
Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟892,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Or they came from man's imagination as prompted by God. Or they came from theological insights from God expressed by human authors in their own culturally appropriate idiom. Or they came directly from God but were later extensively modified by editors. Or they came from Satan. Or Genesis 1 and Genesis 2 came from different gods.
Imagination prompted by God is a vision which is from God.

Theological insights from God is again from God and God has never once chosen someone to deliver a message who failed to deliver it exactly how He intended.

The Mitzvah, a commandment given in Moses’ time, was a commandment that all Jews have to write a Torah of their own which consists of the books Moses wrote. So your talking about altering something that has been written millions of times by Jews for the last 3,500 years that would be punishable by death and hoping that nobody noticed?

satan told Moses to write Genesis? Moses the prophet who had two way conversations directly with God on almost a daily basis for several decades?

If you know anything about the Bible then you know there are no other gods.

Upvote 0

BCP1928

Jan 30, 2024
Goldsboro NC
✟173,933.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
See, it’s called a forum where people come to discuss different topics. The way it works is you present your argument and I present mine and we discuss and debate the topic. That’s how discussions work. Are you implying that I’m not permitted to present my side of the discussion?
You haven't until now. That's why I had to speculate.

Upvote 0

BCP1928

Jan 30, 2024
Goldsboro NC
✟173,933.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Why then did Jesus quote from both Genesis 1 and Genesis 2 as authoritative Scripture?

Matthew 19:3 ¶ The Pharisees also came unto him, tempting him, and saying unto him, Is it lawful for a man to put away his wife for every cause?
4 And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female,
5 And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?
6 Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

Genesis 1:27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

Genesis 2:24 Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.
Authoritative is not the same as literal and inerrant.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BCP1928

Jan 30, 2024
Goldsboro NC
✟173,933.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Both, but that still doesn't answer the question.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟892,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You haven't until now. That's why I had to speculate.
Speculation and accusation are two different things. If I suspect someone is teaching falsely I would ask them before accusing them.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟892,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

That’s a far better answer than what I gave.

• Friendly
Reactions: AV1611VET
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,914,293.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Authoritative is not the same as literal and inerrant.

Fair enough.

The Bible is all three then: authoritative, literal, and inerrant.

• Winner
Reactions: Aaron112
Upvote 0

sfs

Jun 30, 2003
Massachusetts
✟343,554.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You don't seem to have understood the answer. Remember, the question was about possibilities, not about what anyone in particular believes.

Upvote 0

sfs

Jun 30, 2003
Massachusetts
✟343,554.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Imagination prompted by God is a vision which is from God.
Which is from God but which is expressed through their human imagination, i.e both of your possibilities are true, even though you posed them as mutually exclusive.
Theological insights from God is again from God and God has never once chosen someone to deliver a message who failed to deliver it exactly how He intended.
The first part entails the same issue as above, while the second part is something that you invented and that I really doubt you believe. You do believe that preachers are chosen by God to deliver his message, right? And do you also believe that every preacher delivers God's message without any errors, every time?
The Mitzvah, a commandment given in Moses’ time, was a commandment that all Jews have to write a Torah of their own which consists of the books Moses wrote. So your talking about altering something that has been written millions of times by Jews for the last 3,500 years that would be punishable by death and hoping that nobody noticed?
Sorry, I'm talking about the real history of the Bible, not the imaginary one promulgated by fundamentalists.
satan told Moses to write Genesis?
Uh, Moses didn't write Genesis.
If you know anything about the Bible then you know there are no other gods.
You really should spend some time learning more about the Bible

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟892,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Which is from God but which is expressed through their human imagination, i.e both of your possibilities are true, even though you posed them as mutually exclusive.
The source is not their imagination, the source is God giving them a revelation.

• Winner
Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟892,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The first part entails the same issue as above, while the second part is something that you invented and that I really doubt you believe. You do believe that preachers are chosen by God to deliver his message, right? And do you also believe that every preacher delivers God's message without any errors, every time?
No I do not believe preachers are chosen by God. I think people choose to become preachers.

• Winner
Upvote 0