Dec 16, 2003
Tempe, AZ
✟1,854.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
hello :wave:

(Mat 18:10) Take heed that ye despise not one of these little ones; for I say unto you, That in heaven their angels do always behold the face of my Father which is in heaven.

Compare to Heb. 1:13-14. The tradition of so-called "guardian angels" has no foundation in this.

All this verse is saying is that each one of the elect has an angel that gets God's attention, i.e. beholds "the face of" the Father, whenever they need help.

The Bible teaches us to pray to God, it does not teach us to pray to angels.

Upvote 0

Skripper

Legend
Jul 22, 2003
Michigan
Visit site
✟30,691.00
Faith
Catholic
RVincent said:
hello :wave:

(Mat 18:10) Take heed that ye despise not one of these little ones; for I say unto you, That in heaven their angels do always behold the face of my Father which is in heaven.

Compare to Heb. 1:13-14. The tradition of so-called "guardian angels" has no foundation in this.
Actually, both of these verses seem to lend more of a support to the concept of "guardian angels" rather than a refutation of it.

All this verse is saying is that each one of the elect has an angel that gets God's attention, i.e. beholds "the face of" the Father, whenever they need help.
Even this statement supports the "guardian angel" concept.

The Bible teaches us to pray to God, it does not teach us to pray to angels.
Neither does the Bible instruct us not to pray to angels in heaven ... or saints in heaven, for that matter. The doctrine of the Communion of Saints, which is in perfect harmony with biblical teaching, teaches us that it is acceptable to pray to angels or saints in heaven. This, too, is supported by the Bible.

Plus, the Bible isn't an "instruction manual" on "how to be a Christian" nor is it a complete and encompassing exposition on what is and isn't correct Christian doctrine. It isn't a catechism book and, consequently, should not be interpreted as if it were.

Upvote 0

ShannonMcCatholic

I swallowed a bug
Feb 2, 2004
✟30,743.00
Faith
Catholic
gosh- I pray to my and my children's guardian angels all the time. My so thinks his guardian angel is a girl angel-- he has said that he has seen angels at Mass.... Padre Pio is said to have sent his guardian angel on errands for him. St. Escriva talks of befriending someone's guardian angel, when you desire their conversion.

Does anyone have the Treasure Box Books?? They have a series of these great stories about Wupsy, a little boy's guardian angel-- they are really awesome!!

I figure we need all the help God has given us to be good parents and protect our children from harm- both physical and spiritual!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Debi1967

Proudly in love with Rushingwind62
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2003
Green Valley, Illinios
Visit site
✟71,555.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Plus, the Bible isn't an "instruction manual" on "how to be a Christian" nor is it a complete and encompassing exposition on what is and isn't correct Christian doctrine. It isn't a catechism book and, consequently, should not be interpreted as if it were.
2 Timothy 3:14 [font=Trebuchet MS,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]But continue thou in those things which thou hast learned and which have been committed to thee. Knowing of whom thou hast learned them:
spacer.gif

[font=Trebuchet MS,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]15 And because from thy infancy thou hast known the holy scriptures which can instruct thee to salvation by the faith which is in Christ Jesus.[/font]
spacer.gif

[font=Trebuchet MS,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]16 All scripture, inspired of God, is profitable to teach, to reprove, to correct, to instruct in justice:[/font]
spacer.gif

[font=Trebuchet MS,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]17 That the man of God may be perfect, furnished to every good work.[/font]

[/font]Yes it is and Yes it should.....
You must remember that everything that comes from the Catechism is scripturally based. Although, learned men wrote it does not mean that it does not come from scripture and that our point of reference should always be what was divinely inspired to be written by the Lord Himself. What the Catechism does in my opion is take to the next level of making it easier for us to understand the complete meaning of those of that Divinity.....

In Christ
Debi

Upvote 0

nyj

Goodbye, my puppy
Feb 5, 2002
USA
Visit site
✟39,238.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Defens0rFidei said:
What if he/she/it already has a name?
Well then, he's got another one now. Somehow, I seriously doubt a guardian angel is going to be upset that the four year old placed in his charge has given him a name.

What did you name she/he/it?
Gabriel.

Upvote 0

Dominus Fidelis

ScottBot is Stalking Me!
Sep 10, 2003
Florida
✟18,909.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
nyj said:
Well then, he's got another one now. Somehow, I seriously doubt a guardian angel is going to be upset that the four year old placed in his charge has given him a name.

Gabriel.

No, that's cool, I wasn't challenging it or anything. I am just learning. As a protestant by birth I wasn't exposed to the ideas or anything.

:)

Upvote 0

InnerPhyre

Nov 13, 2003
✟71,967.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Ok so dont laugh at this lol......cuz I named mine when I was younger. I called him Jack. Not sure why. Just Jack. As I got older though, I thought that Jack wasn't a very angelic name, so I thought I'd add onto it to give him a title he'd be proud of. I consecrated him to the Sacred Heart of Jesus. So now he's Jack of the Sacred Heart: Guardian and High Protector of Mike [Last Name] :) I figure now he can boast to the other angels.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

faerieevaH

lucky wife
Dec 27, 2003
USA
✟28,950.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
*chuckles*
I remember a comment I once made on a non religion board. We were in a silly publike conversation and I threw a pillow at someone. That person ducked the pillow and I admiringly said: "I wish I had reflexes". To which he replied: "Everybody has reflexes". I said: "Yes, but the right kind of reflexes. The one that helps you catch a basketball or duck a pillow. Not the one that has you grabbing for knives that fall off the kitchencounter." There was some pause after that, then the person replied: "Imagines your guardian angel as looking very tired, running on coffee, and probably working in 24 hour shifts round the clock with at least three others."

On a different note: I want to share something with you. It's a text from one of the greatest entertainers the Netherlands (where they also speak Dutch *G*) has ever known: Toon Hermans, who happened to be a devout Catholic. He has wonderful simple songs, and wonderful texts, and this is one of my personal favorites.

I'll spare you the Dutch text, but here is the English translation I made.

"Now I am thinking deeply
how to pray to do it well
I never used to do that
And that’s what made it ‘swell’.
I burn a candle sometimes
Or sometimes sign a cross,
But thinking of my childs faith,
I feel a sudden loss.

Sometimes I do feel homesick
For my angel Gabriel
I did neglect him sorely
Don’t remember him that well
But when I’m deep in sorrow,
In turmoil, feeling down
Then like a child I still think,
Gabriel where are you now?"

Reactions: ps139
Upvote 0

ShannonMcCatholic

I swallowed a bug
Feb 2, 2004
✟30,743.00
Faith
Catholic
I think angels are sexless

Yes I think that is true, but they are manifested to the human perception as eother male or female.... I think!!

I wonder if there are girl guardian angels? That would be cool.
My son says that his guardian angel is a girl.

Ok so dont laugh at this lol......cuz I named mine when I was younger. I called him Jack. Not sure why. Just Jack. As I got older though, I thought that Jack wasn't a very angelic name, so I thought I'd add onto it to give him a title he'd be proud of. I consecrated him to the Sacred Heart of Jesus. So now he's Jack of the Sacred Heart: Guardian and High Protector of Mike [Last Name] I figure now he can boast to the other angels.

Oh that is priceless!! You must hunt down and read the Wupsy stories-- I'll bet your angel is very pleased with his title!! And is working very hard to live up to it!

Upvote 0

Veritas

1 Lord, 1 Faith, 1 Baptism
Aug 7, 2003
Pacific NW USA
Visit site
✟109,662.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Angels may be sexless, but there has never been an instance in scripture that an angel appeared as a female. ALL the angels mentioned in scripture have a distinctly masculine image. But have you noticed that artists and the media nearly always portray an angel in a feminine way? I have a set of what would be described as the Protestant version of "holy card" that I carry depicting a large male angel standing over the bed of a child. It's called "Watchers in the Night" and on the back it quotes Psalm 91:11, my signature verse which appears at the end my posts. I think there's a reason why God chose for angels to appear masculine in scripture. Personally, when it comes to Guardian angels, I like the idea of a big, strong, powerful angel looking out for me! I just can't imagine a fairy-like angel carrying me to safety from a dangerous situation.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.