Anyone here use the Angelicum Academy homeschool curriculum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

benedictaoo

Legend
Dec 1, 2007
✟72,332.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Hi all,

We'll be homeschooling our children next year, and I'm interested in using their curriculum...

Homeschooling - Angelicum Academy

Does anyone here have any experience with it?

Thanks!

Tim

No, i have not. I chose Seton when I did it becuase it seemed to be a easier curriculum to figure out and implement and they are really orthodox as well.

Upvote 0

colleen

We are an Easter people!
Mar 8, 2002
✟21,098.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
NDIrish,

Have you and your wife considered coming up with your own curriculum from a combination of sources? I'm impressed by many of the Catholic home school programs out there, but at the same time the flexibility of designing your own program is very appealing as well. But, then again our little boy is still in the womb so Aaron and I have a while to decide if we even want to home school.

There are a lot of great books out there for Catholic home schooling and designing your own program. I believe one is called Designing your own classical curriculum. Based on the program you are interested in I think that book would really interest you.

Upvote 0

ShannonMcCatholic

I swallowed a bug
Feb 2, 2004
✟30,743.00
Faith
Catholic
Forget Seton (IMHO) it's waaaaaay to much busy work for littles. There are worksheets upon worksheets, upon worksheets. I think Angelicum Academy is too expensive and too much work for littles, too.

Until Middle school if you are really committed to using a pre-packaged curriculum--I would heartily recommend Mother of Divine Grace. It's just right for littles! It's orthodox, it's not an overwhelming amount of work, it offers good structure for people beginning to homeschool. (It was actually created by Laura Berquist-who wrote the book Colleen mentioned--and is very involved with TAC)

LOL! We unschool now...or are very relaxed homeschoolers (depending on who you ask for their definition)...and so my perspective is one from someone who views homeschooling as a way of life, and not simply school at home.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

colleen

We are an Easter people!
Mar 8, 2002
✟21,098.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, you see that was kind of hard for me... Seton did everything but come over and teach the child themselves.

But I was a lazy Catholic homeschooler. I'm always all about the easy. ^_^

lol... Designing my own curriculum probably appeals to the control freak in me that used to teach. I'm used to writing lesson plans, grading, designing programs, etc. I think I'd probably spend more time tweaking whatever program we picked than actually using it ;)

Upvote 0

NDIrish

Senior Veteran
Oct 8, 2003
Tennessee
Visit site
✟13,979.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
NDIrish,

Have you and your wife considered coming up with your own curriculum from a combination of sources? I'm impressed by many of the Catholic home school programs out there, but at the same time the flexibility of designing your own program is very appealing as well. But, then again our little boy is still in the womb so Aaron and I have a while to decide if we even want to home school.

There are a lot of great books out there for Catholic home schooling and designing your own program. I believe one is called Designing your own classical curriculum. Based on the program you are interested in I think that book would really interest you.

We're considering it, but being new to the homeschooling scene, we just don't know what we don't know. There's a comfort factor in having something completely planned out for you, particularly in the first year.

Upvote 0

NDIrish

Senior Veteran
Oct 8, 2003
Tennessee
Visit site
✟13,979.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Forget Seton (IMHO) it's waaaaaay to much busy work for littles. There are worksheets upon worksheets, upon worksheets. I think Angelicum Academy is too expensive and too much work for littles, too.

Fortunately for us, the cost is not really an issue. The homeschooling fees are minuscule, as compared to the ~$10,000/student/year :)o) that we were considering paying for one of the Dominican schools here. Actually, a highly rigorous program is very attractive to us. The two that are school aged now are constantly scoring well above their grade level. They get completely bored with their school work because they're not challenged. I'm looking for something to challenge them and engage their intellect.

Until Middle school if you are really committed to using a pre-packaged curriculum--I would heartily recommend Mother of Divine Grace. It's just right for littles! It's orthodox, it's not an overwhelming amount of work, it offers good structure for people beginning to homeschool. (It was actually created by Laura Berquist-who wrote the book Colleen mentioned--and is very involved with TAC)

I'll check into that curriculum too...thanks!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

colleen

We are an Easter people!
Mar 8, 2002
✟21,098.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
We're considering it, but being new to the homeschooling scene, we just don't know what we don't know. There's a comfort factor in having something completely planned out for you, particularly in the first year.

I completely understand :) And, I wish your family the best with this endeavor!

Upvote 0

NDIrish

Senior Veteran
Oct 8, 2003
Tennessee
Visit site
✟13,979.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'm assuming she means Facebook.

Ahhh...I used to have an account that I created a few years ago to see what all of the hoopla was about. I think I logged in once...then a few months ago, I got an email that an ex-girlfriend wanted to connect, or be friends, or whatever it is called...so I deleted the account (after telling my wife what happened in full-disclosure)...

So that's a long winded way of saying "nope"...

Upvote 0

colleen

We are an Easter people!
Mar 8, 2002
✟21,098.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Ahhh...I used to have an account that I created a few years ago to see what all of the hoopla was about. I think I logged in once...then a few months ago, I got an email that an ex-girlfriend wanted to connect, or be friends, or whatever it is called...so I deleted the account (after telling my wife what happened in full-disclosure)...

So that's a long winded way of saying "nope"...

lol... I think Aaron and I may be the only people our age not on it.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.