Anyone Familiar With George McDonald's Books?

MarshWiggle

Jul 16, 2006
✟15,130.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
I've read "The Princess and the Goblin" and am currently reading "At the Back of the North Wind." I love George MacDonald's fiction works. Although there are dangers and villians aplenty, you get a sense of goodness that permeates his created worlds. His "Phantastees" and "Lilith" are a little less accessible than the three books you mentioned but are worth the effort as well.

I hope you enjoy it. Since his books are public domain you can read or preview them online.

Reactions: soblessed53
Upvote 0

soblessed53

Sep 4, 2005
North Central,OH.U.S.A.
✟19,666.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
MarshWiggle said:
I've read "The Princess and the Goblin" and am currently reading "At the Back of the North Wind." I love George MacDonald's fiction works. Although there are dangers and villians aplenty, you get a sense of goodness that permeates his created worlds. His "Phantastees" and "Lilith" are a little less accessible than the three books you mentioned but are worth the effort as well.

I hope you enjoy it. Since his books are public domain you can read or preview them online.

Thanks for the info on the other books.:thumbsup: :) :wave:

Upvote 0

Captivated

Mar 29, 2006
✟9,823.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
MarshWiggle said:

I'll second that, MarshWiggle! Love your name, BTW, is that referring to Puddleglum?

Hi, soblessed, how are the Narnia books?

Upvote 0

soblessed53

Sep 4, 2005
North Central,OH.U.S.A.
✟19,666.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Captivated said:
I'll second that, MarshWiggle! Love your name, BTW, is that referring to Puddleglum?

Hi, soblessed, how are the Narnia books?

Hello Captivated,they are wonserful,I'm just starting the 3rd one "The Boy And His Horse". I understand "Prince Caspian" is supposed to come to theaters around Christmas '08, but that is a very long wait for an announced movie! :(

Upvote 0

Ivy

Pray for President Barack Obama
Oct 26, 2005
NY State
✟17,402.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
soblessed53 said:
Just learned of him and how J.R.R. Tolkein and C.S.Lewis loved his books. I am anxious to read "The Princess and the Goblin","The Princess And Curdie",and "At The Back Of The North Wind", for starters! :) :wave:

The Golden Key is neat, too.

Phantastes was supposed to have been C.S. Lewis's favorite. Lilith is my personal favorite. :wave:

Upvote 0

elf_lady_9

the book loving Elven Calvinist
Mar 13, 2006
in a house in a city in a state in a country on an
✟16,278.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I like George Macdonald!! I don't like his works quite as much as i like those of Tolkien and Lewis, but they are really good. when i was like 10 or 11 or so i read most of the books( well, at least most of the ones they had at my church library) I've read The Princess and the Goblin, The Princess and Curdie, At the Back of the North Wind, and lots of his short fairy tale stories such as "The Light Princess" and"The Day Boy and the Night Girl", and my favorite, "The Wise Woman, or the Obstinant Princess." I've also read some of his non-fantasy stories like "Sir Gibbie". he's got a couple series of non-fantasy books set in Scotland, and the scottish accent his characters talk in is really cool.
i've never been able to find Phantastees or Lilith, but i've read exerpts from them in fantasy collections and i really want to read the whole things.

the thing that really makes Macdonald's books stand out especially is that they're really deep, even his children's books. all of them have some kind of deeper spiritual meaning or at the least a strong moral lesson. i didn't totally get them when i first read them and i still don't completely understand them now:p.

having read his books as a kid though, it was so cool to find out when i got older that he was C.S. Lewis's spiritual "mentor" and favorite author! :) God used Macdonald's writings(and also the witness of J.R.R. Tolkien) to save Lewis, who then went on to write great Christian classics like the Chronicles of Narnia. God works in awesome ways!! :clap:

Bethany:)

Upvote 0

soblessed53

Sep 4, 2005
North Central,OH.U.S.A.
✟19,666.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Everyone Is really getting me excited about his books,LOL! I just started Prince Caspian in The Narnia series. Discovering these books is like finding hidden treasure because of the pleasure I'm getting out of them.I thank Our Lord so much for giving me a love for reading, and if for any reason I should ever lose my sight,I'm thankful to know there are audio books,LOL!I have already reserved the Princess books and At The Back Of The North Wind. BTW did any of you know there is a movie of The Princess And The Goblin and if it's good? I have it reserved as well. When I did the search on George McDonald on Amazon they have it,so I did a search in my library catalog and can get it there,Whoohoo!
attachment.php

Upvote 0

Captivated

Mar 29, 2006
✟9,823.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
soblessed53 said:
I just started Prince Caspian in The Narnia series. Discovering these books is like finding hidden treasure because of the pleasure I'm getting out of them.

That's wonderful, soblessed, I'm delighted that you are enjoying them so much. There can never be too many Narnians!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MarshWiggle

Jul 16, 2006
✟15,130.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
I tried reading MacDonald's "Sir Gibbie" and really liked it. Unfortunately, I couldn't finish it because some characters in it speak Scottish and I can't understand it. Strange that MacDonald choose to do this since the book itself is in English.

Is anyone aware of an English-only adaptation of Sir Gibbie?

In response to Captivated's question, Yes, my name does refer to Puddleglum, the most distinguished of all fine marsh-wiggles. I am a lot like him.

Upvote 0

elf_lady_9

the book loving Elven Calvinist
Mar 13, 2006
in a house in a city in a state in a country on an
✟16,278.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
MarshWiggle said:
I tried reading MacDonald's "Sir Gibbie" and really liked it. Unfortunately, I couldn't finish it because some characters in it speak Scottish and I can't understand it. Strange that MacDonald choose to do this since the book itself is in English.

Is anyone aware of an English-only adaptation of Sir Gibbie?

In response to Captivated's question, Yes, my name does refer to Puddleglum, the most distinguished of all fine marsh-wiggles. I am a lot like him.

when i was younger i read a version of Sir Gibbie that i think was in English. i remember that the characters talked with a Scottish brogue, but i don't remember it not being in english, cause i understood it. maybe it was a kids version. i'll have to look in my church library and see.

i like your name too, MarshWiggle. :)
Puddleglum is one of my favorite Narnian characters. i'm honored to meet some one who resembles him. is it going to rain today, do you think, or are we going to have an earthquake or a dragon attack? :p

Bethany :)

Upvote 0

MarshWiggle

Jul 16, 2006
✟15,130.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
~elf_lady_9,

You mentioned that you weren't able to find Phantastes and Lilith. If you don't mind reading on a computer they are available online: see gutenberg.org, classicreader.com, and other sites.

Thank you for commenting on my name. If I weren't a marsh-wiggle I would have liked to be one of the elves from Middle Earth. A diet of eels and marsh water does wear a chap out after awhile. However, I would feel rather uncomfortable about the whole tree climbing bussiness. That is a sure way to break one's neck, I shouldn't wonder.

As to my forecast for today, don't mean to be too cheerful but the greatest number of heart attacks occur on Mondays. But don't let that get you down folks :).

Puddleglum at your service.

Upvote 0
D

DCSearcher

Sir Gibbie was adapted by Michael Phillips as The Baronet's Song. Personally, I'm not crazy about the Phillips adapations, because he sheds much of the discussion (which is my favorite part of MacDonald's novels). However, a number of MacDonald's novels do not have Scottish dialect in them. There and Back is a favorite of mine, Mary Marston, Guild Court, and Thomas Wingfold are just a few of the others.

MacDonald's short story, "The Castle," is my favorite.

Sorry for the untimely response - I just joined.

Upvote 0