Beijing
✟10,703.00
Country
China
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I've played it for a while already, my account is on the NA server and my ID is Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu. I'm a fan of historical naval vessels, along with generally being a history buff. I'm a slightly above average player with 52.5% overall win rate and I mostly play Tier 6/7 because the passive meta at high tier is extremely boring, and believe it or not there are more bad players at high tiers than at low tiers. It's an immensely frustrating game at times that leads me to fits of rage (I know it's not good for the spirit), especially when I try but the other players just throw their ships. However, when I can have a string of decent or even good games it's a satisfying experience. If you're also a WoWS player let me know your ID and I'll look you up in the game.

One of my favorite ships is the USS Helena, a St. Louis class light cruiser (improved version of the Brooklyn class) that sits at Tier 7 in the USN light cruiser tech tree that was released at the end of June. 15 guns and IFHE makes it really good at starting fires on enemy ships, overall it is quite strong though these ships require an island-hugging style of play that may not appeal to everyone.

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,255,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I've played it for a while already, my account is on the NA server and my ID is Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu. I'm a fan of historical naval vessels, along with generally being a history buff. I'm a slightly above average player with 52.5% overall win rate and I mostly play Tier 6/7 because the passive meta at high tier is extremely boring, and believe it or not there are more bad players at high tiers than at low tiers. It's an immensely frustrating game at times that leads me to fits of rage (I know it's not good for the spirit), especially when I try but the other players just throw their ships. However, when I can have a string of decent or even good games it's a satisfying experience. If you're also a WoWS player let me know your ID and I'll look you up in the game.

One of my favorite ships is the USS Helena, a St. Louis class light cruiser (improved version of the Brooklyn class) that sits at Tier 7 in the USN light cruiser tech tree that was released at the end of June. 15 guns and IFHE makes it really good at starting fires on enemy ships, overall it is quite strong though these ships require an island-hugging style of play that may not appeal to everyone.
I've played it but not in a few months. I'm mediocre at it, win a few lose a few, contribute to the team or get blown out of the water by a torpedo I never saw. I binged and burned out. Maybe I'll give it another whirl some day. The historical aspect is probably the best part. I have chosen German ships almost exclusively, for better or worse. Some of the lower level ships are more fun than the higher level.

Upvote 0
Aug 21, 2018
Beijing
✟10,703.00
Country
China
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I definitely agree that some of the mid-tier ships are more fun than the high tier ships. Sure at high tier you get some undoubtedly very potent ships like the Yamato, Des Moines, Worcester, Khabarovsk (Tier 10 Russian destroyer, blueprint design) etc. but the game play changes so much compared to Tiers 5-7, which to me are the life of the game.

Many, if not most high tier ships, are bigger and more sluggish than their mid-tier counterparts. Iowa and Montana don't have the agility of a New Mexico or Colorado though they're faster. You can't make mistakes in them like what you can get away with at lower tiers. High tier destroyers can fire spreads of like 15 torpedoes in the water at a time (I'm looking at you, Shimakaze), and the fact that they're so potent has given rise to their nickname: "Wall of Skill." Still it amazes me to see how so many players progress up the tiers, failing just as hard at Tier 10 as they were back at Tier 5 or 6. There's a feature in Aslain's Mod Pack called Matchmaking Monitor that displays each player's win rate, average damage etc. in their ship during the pre-battle queue, and maybe their overall player stats as well. It's depressing because you'll see, even at high tiers, a sea of red (poor players) and orange (below average players) and yellow (average players), even green players (slightly to somewhat above average) might get huge ego boosts when they see just how BAD most players are compared to them. As a light green (slightly above average) player myself, it's as if matchmaker thinks I'm a much better player than I actually am and expects me to be able to carry team after team of potatoes.

Upvote 0