✟8,498.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Fuzzy said:
I respectfully submit there have been several threads on satanism, albeit infrequent ones, including an Official CF Thread on Satanism.

I'll grant and agree the threads don't really go anywhere, but there's just so many times one can say "Satanism is evil" or "LaVey borrowed heavily from Rand" before both sides reach a stalemate.

So, Satanism is discussed, within the confines of the rules, just like any other
non-Christian religion. They just don't seem to feel compelled to "counter your lies" or "spread the truth" or any of the other things that happen in the Islamic, Hindu, or Wiccan threads.

Do they believe in Jesus/God (aren't they the same?) as deities, or as literary or social archetypes from a culturally common historical and literary background? That, at least, distinguishes the Theistic versus the LaVeyan.

Lavey's partner worships Satan because he is a powerful being...She rejects Jesus because he was a weak man who died on a cross. I would say that a lot of satanist believe in Jesus, and hate what he stands for.

Upvote 0

Hydra009

bel esprit
Oct 28, 2003
Raleigh, NC
✟18,036.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
looking4wisdom said:
What are you talking about!? First of all, satanism usually isn't allowed to be discussed on these forums, so don't act so confused. Secondly, most Satanist do believe in Jesus and God...Could there be Satan without god? Get a clue.
Ummm...you might want to read up a tad before you ironically tell someone to get a clue.

Wikipedia on satanism: "Many Satanists do not in fact worship a deity called Satan, or necessarily any other deity, nor do they follow a principle of evil. This aspect of their beliefs is very commonly misunderstood."

Levay Satanism is usually categorized as philosophical Satanism - where adherants "view one's self as the subjective center of the universe, and the highest aspirations and virtues are those which seek the elevation and improvement of the individual Satanist over others. Philosophical Satanists generally do not recognize a theological deity or a metaphysical afterlife (though this is not to say that one must not); however this does not equate to a life devoid of spirituality."

Upvote 0

looking4wisdom

Jul 2, 2005
USA
✟8,498.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Hydra009 said:
Ummm...you might want to read up a tad before you ironically tell someone to get a clue.

Wikipedia on satanism: "Many Satanists do not in fact worship a deity called Satan, or necessarily any other deity, nor do they follow a principle of evil. This aspect of their beliefs is very commonly misunderstood."

Levay Satanism is usually categorized as philosophical Satanism - where adherants "view one's self as the subjective center of the universe, and the highest aspirations and virtues are those which seek the elevation and improvement of the individual Satanist over others. Philosophical Satanists generally do not recognize a theological deity or a metaphysical afterlife (though this is not to say that one must not); however this does not equate to a life devoid of spirituality."

Why does everybody use wikipedia as a source???? I am sure most satanist believe in a creature called SATAN...Why else would they call themselves Satanists? They love what the fallen angel stands for. Satan represents what they love: a life without limitation, individuallity, and freedom from morals.

Upvote 0

Hydra009

bel esprit
Oct 28, 2003
Raleigh, NC
✟18,036.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
looking4wisdom said:
Why does everybody use wikipedia as a source????
Because it generally has pretty reliable and accurate basic info on any given topic?

Ok, now here's my question: Why knee-jerk reactions and misconceptions instead of straightfoward answers to the OP?

I am sure most satanist believe in a creature called SATAN...Why else would they call themselves Satanists?
Self-answered below.

They love what the fallen angel stands for. Satan represents what they love: a life without limitation, individuallity, and freedom from morals.
Bingo, Satan is pretty much seen as an archetype or figurative being by many satanists, and not as a literal being.

Upvote 0

In A Perfect World

Jun 19, 2005
CT
✟17,022.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
looking4wisdom said:
They love what the fallen angel stands for. Satan represents what they love: a life without limitation, individuallity, and freedom from morals.
You answered your own question. He is a figure for what they stand for. Not an actual being in most of their minds.

Upvote 0

looking4wisdom

Jul 2, 2005
USA
✟8,498.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Hydra009 said:
Because it generally has pretty reliable and accurate basic info on any given topic?

Ok, now here's my question: Why knee-jerk reactions and misconceptions instead of straightfoward answers to the OP?

Self-answered below.

Bingo, Satan is pretty much seen as an archetype or figurative being by many satanists, and not as a literal being.

Wikipedia is not always accurate...And I would have to completely disagree with you...The handful of satanist I know all believe in a being called satan. Gee, why is that? I don't know what satanist you are thinking of, but why not do some research on Lavey and his life partner, who is now the head priestess of the Church of Satan. See what they have to say about satan.

Upvote 0

In A Perfect World

Jun 19, 2005
CT
✟17,022.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
looking4wisdom said:
Wikipedia is not always accurate...And I would have to completely disagree with you...The handful of satanist I know all believe in a being called satan. Gee, why is that? I don't know what satanist you are thinking of, but why not do some research on Lavey and his life partner, who is now the head priestess of the Church of Satan. See what they have to say about satan.
[font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]As you can see, there are no elements of Devil worship in the Church of Satan. Such practices are looked upon as being Christian heresies; believing in the dualistic Christian world view of “God vs. the Devil” and choosing to side with the Prince of Darkness. Satanists do not believe in the supernatural, in neither God nor the Devil. To the Satanist, he is his own God. Satan is a symbol of Man living as his prideful, carnal nature dictates. The reality behind Satan is simply the dark evolutionary force of entropy that permeates all of nature and provides the drive for survival and propagation inherent in all living things. Satan is not a conscious entity to be worshipped, rather a reservoir of power inside each human to be tapped at will. Thus any concept of sacrifice is rejected as a Christian aberration—in Satanism there’s no deity to which one can sacrifice.

[/font]
[font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]You wouldn't believe that I found that on their website! I guess I did do some research that you didn't do.
[/font]

Upvote 0

looking4wisdom

Jul 2, 2005
USA
✟8,498.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
http://churchofsatan.com/home.html

This is what satanists love about the BEING, Satan.

http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/dvera/bgoat/theistic.html
http://theistic-satanism.org/philos/

All of the satanists I know are under the impression that there are two deities...one evil, one pure. It would be weird for Lavey to practice black magic if he didnt believe in deities...And would be even more weird for his life partner to express her belief in a living being Called satan on national TV, which she did not so long ago. Real Magick: The Science of Wizardry

Great show...I especially liked the part where the magistra praised satan for surviving on the earth after being cast out of heaven...I learn so much from the discovery channel.

Upvote 0

IWTALCT

Nov 13, 2005
✟1,422.00
Faith
Christian
okay im just going to say this: there are MANY forms of satanism some atheistic some other say that jesus was weak and devil supreme and ive also heard that one group do believe Jesus is God and everything but they choose to be on satans side and why they all are called SATANists? because all of them even the athiestic groups oppose Christianity

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Fuzzy

One by Four by Nine
Aug 12, 2004
✟17,214.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
looking4wisdom said:
The handful of satanist I know all believe in a being called satan. Gee, why is that?
You'd have to ask them. And just because they DO, doesn't mean other people who identify as "Satanists" do as well.

looking4wisdom said:
I don't know what satanist you are thinking of, but why not do some research on Lavey and his life partner, who is now the head priestess of the Church of Satan. See what they have to say about satan.

Blanch Barton, who bore LaVey's third child in 1993, took over when LaVey died in 1997, and turned over control to Peter Gilmore in 2001, and stepped aside as High Priestess in favor of Peggy Nadramia in 2002. So, your information is a little out of date. My source is the CoS website.

Upvote 0

TrueQ

Devil's Advocate
Feb 7, 2004
Salem
✟1,197.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
GodismyRefuge said:
If you are referring to ex Satanist Born Again Christian :wave:

Hey GodismyRefuge, I didn't know you came from our camp! What group were a part of? LaVeyan, theistic, Luciferan? Lone practicer, grotto member? I'll bet you can answer a fair few of these folk's questions.

If you don't mind my asking, of course.

Upvote 0

Gentle

Sep 28, 2005
Ontario
✟2,234.00
Faith
Hindu
[size=+3][font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]The Eleven Satanic Rules of the Earth[/font][/size]

[font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]by Anton Szandor LaVey[/font][font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif][size=+2] [/size][/font][font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]©1967[/font]

[font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif][Spanish, Croation] [/font]

[font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]1. Do not give opinions or advice unless you are asked. [/font]

[font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]2. Do not tell your troubles to others unless you are sure they want to hear them. [/font]

[font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]3. When in another’s lair, show him respect or else do not go there. [/font]

[font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]4. If a guest in your lair annoys you, treat him cruelly and without mercy. [/font]

[font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]5. Do not make sexual advances unless you are given the mating signal. [/font]

[font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]6. Do not take that which does not belong to you unless it is a burden to the other person and he cries out to be relieved. [/font]

[font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]7. Acknowledge the power of magic if you have employed it successfully to obtain your desires. If you deny the power of magic after having called upon it with success, you will lose all you have obtained. [/font]

[font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]8. Do not complain about anything to which you need not subject yourself. [/font]

[font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]9. Do not harm little children. [/font]

[font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]10. Do not kill non-human animals unless you are attacked or for your food. [/font]

[font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]11. When walking in open territory, bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask him to stop. If he does not stop, destroy him. [/font]

does this seem "evil' to anyone? honestly?

peace love
Andrew

Upvote 0

morningstar2651

Senior Veteran
Dec 6, 2004
Arizona
✟66,649.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
looking4wisdom said:
I am sure most satanist believe in a creature called SATAN...Why else would they call themselves Satanists?
From Strongs concordance [07853], you can find that the word satan is also a verb in Hebrew, meaning "to be or act as an adversary, resist, oppose".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Gentle

Sep 28, 2005
Ontario
✟2,234.00
Faith
Hindu
No a Satanist doesn't worship satan, or any gods. Nothing. Others may call themselves Satanists and worship satan but Christians can be false too.
I see their point of view on life but don't know if they see mine.
if they live by Levays doctrines I would be very comfortable around anyone like that. we are all one family after all :)
God bless
Andrew

Upvote 0

Eudaimonist

I believe in life before death!
Jan 1, 2003
American resident of Sweden
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Gentle said:
[font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]4. If a guest in your lair annoys you, treat him cruelly and without mercy. [/font]​

[font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]11. When walking in open territory, bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask him to stop. If he does not stop, destroy him. [/font]

Honestly, 4 and 11 do. The rest seem okay-ish.

Upvote 0

Victory of the Cross

Jesus is the Word of God
Mar 3, 2005
✟41,510.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
Gentle said:
[size=+3][font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]The Eleven Satanic Rules of the Earth[/font][/size]

[font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]by Anton Szandor LaVey[/font][font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]©1967[/font]

[font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif][Spanish, Croation] [/font]

[font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]1. Do not give opinions or advice unless you are asked. [/font]

[font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]2. Do not tell your troubles to others unless you are sure they want to hear them. [/font]

[font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]3. When in another’s lair, show him respect or else do not go there. [/font]

[font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]4. If a guest in your lair annoys you, treat him cruelly and without mercy. [/font]

[font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]5. Do not make sexual advances unless you are given the mating signal. [/font]

[font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]6. Do not take that which does not belong to you unless it is a burden to the other person and he cries out to be relieved. [/font]

[font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]7. Acknowledge the power of magic if you have employed it successfully to obtain your desires. If you deny the power of magic after having called upon it with success, you will lose all you have obtained. [/font]

[font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]8. Do not complain about anything to which you need not subject yourself. [/font]

[font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]9. Do not harm little children. [/font]

[font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]10. Do not kill non-human animals unless you are attacked or for your food. [/font]

peace love
Andrew

WHERES THE RULES ON EATING PIZZA? COME ON HOW CAN THEY BE A RELIGION WITHOUT RULES ABOUT PIZZA

Upvote 0

Eudaimonist

Jan 1, 2003
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
looking4wisdom said:
Secondly, most Satanist do believe in Jesus and God...Could there be Satan without god? Get a clue.

This is not my experience. The LaVeyan Satanists I have seen posting here and elsewhere have without exception denied that Satan exists any more than as a symbol, and denied that they believe in the Christian God or Jesus.

I do recall a theistic Satanist who posted on this board (I think) some time ago, but he denied being a LaVeyan Satanist.

Upvote 0

Eudaimonist

Jan 1, 2003
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Echuu Shen Jon said:
WHERES THE RULES ON EATING PIZZA?

12. If no one else takes the last slice of pizza, take it for yourself! Only the weak leave that last slice of pizza uneaten.

13. Ignore rule #12 if you are offered the mating signal! Repeat! Ignore rule #12 if you are offered the mating signal!

14. Ignore rule #13 if the mating signal is offered by someone you find unappealing. Proceed to rule #12, if applicable.

15. Ignore rules #13 and #14 if you are offered the mating signal by someone you do happen to find appealing, but when that slice of pizza is sure to be so tasty that it will be better than mating. Proceed to eat your tasty slice of pizza.

Rule clarifications:

1. The mating signal is flapping your elbows like a chicken, and hooting like a barn owl three times.

2. Some have made naughtier suggestions for clarification #1, but these have been held up by committee.

3. Committee resolutions may be recinded by a veto from Satan, should such a being exist.

4. Satan's vetos may be recinded by a successful overthrow of Satan, but only by a 4/5 majority vote of surviving committee members.

Problem solved!

Upvote 0