Jan 20, 2003
New Hope, MN
Visit site
✟3,944.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
I start school officially on monday. I'm excited because I finally get to start taking classes besides generals, classes that will focus on my major. Social Studies- Teaching. I'm in the "Urban Teacher Education Program" that focuses on teaching youth in an urban context. I want to be a highschool social studies teacher. I have an independent study this semester: Educational Psychology. I started on it yesterday and have about 2 weeks worth of work finished. :clap: Its really cool, lots of advice for beginning teachers. Anyone else going for teaching?

lil_one

Aug 19, 2003
Visit site
✟15,717.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm in my 3rd year in a B Education (Primary) degree... And i LOVE it so very much!!!
I find it very rewarding, and i love the children, i really like the littlies, i just did some prac teaching on kinder which was really good, the kids were beautiful...
I love teaching and I couldn't think of anything else i'd rather be doing with my life!!!
Hope you enjoy your classes and course.... :pink:

Upvote 0

JillLars

It's a Boy! Jace David- Due 1/20/07
Jan 20, 2003
New Hope, MN
Visit site
✟3,944.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
I had an oppurtunity in highschool to student teach at a local preschool (where my grandma happened to work), the school worked a lot with developmentally disabled students, and students with language abilities. I don't think I've ever had a more rewarding experience. While I love teaching younger children, I have had some great highschool teachers who really inspired me to do something with myself, and I hope to be able to do that for my students someday.

Upvote 0

LifeInYou

a little lamb...*baaaa
Feb 11, 2003
Cali
Visit site
✟8,405.00
Faith
Non-Denom
My major is Secondary Social Science as well! I am more interested in Geography and World Cultures than History though. I'm a Soph. in college so I haven't quite gotten to the hard core major stuff yet- although I'm very anxious to get there. I've wanted to teach ever since I was in second grade and (as nerdy as it sounds) from time to time I'll be so excited that I will attempt to make lesson plans for my class already (goofy, i know). Anyways- teaching is wonderful and I can't wait until I'm there. :)

Upvote 0

JillLars

Jan 20, 2003
New Hope, MN
Visit site
✟3,944.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
lifeinyou, I am interested in political science and sociology for the most part, but I enjoy all social studies. I'm a little nervous about teaching geography and history because I don't know much about either of those subjects, so I will have to learn a whole bunch!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CoolWater

Person.
May 24, 2002
Lost Angels, CA
Visit site
✟7,926.00
Faith
Christian
I currently teach ninth grade science in an inner city school. I've only been doing it for about two months and while at times it has been very challenging, on the whole it has been good. The kids at my school are freindly and the atmostphere is light. The school does have its share of problems. Many of the students read at a primary school level and their basic math abilities are not much higher, which makes teaching science difficult. But you steer the class around those set backs, and life is easier.

Good luck with your career choice.

Upvote 0

JillLars

Jan 20, 2003
New Hope, MN
Visit site
✟3,944.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Coolwater- Did you get any training for teaching in an innercity school? The program I am in right now is called the Urban Teaching Program, which is specially geared towards inner city schools. I will most likely be doing my student teaching in an inner city school. Do you have any tips to offer?

Upvote 0

Blake

Musically Challenged
Jul 1, 2003
Vanuatu
Visit site
✟8,045.00
Faith
Christian
I'm a Early Childhood Ed Major as most people who have posted. I'm about to begin my field experiences which is exciting. I'm taking a Educational Psychology, its one of my more difficult classes to stay interested in partly because of the instructor and the material isn't anything new yet.

Where do you plan to teach after you graduate from college?

I was hoping to join the Peace Corps and go to Philippines.

Upvote 0

JillLars

Jan 20, 2003
New Hope, MN
Visit site
✟3,944.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
That's really cool Blake. I plan on teaching around where I live now, which is about 20 min outside of the twin cities. While I'm going to school for urban teaching, I hope to be able to find a job in a closer suburb. I have always thought it would be cool to teach at the highschool where I graduated, but I am in no hurry to move back to my hometown, I want to pave my own way for a while (with my fiance of course).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Blake

Musically Challenged
Jul 1, 2003
Vanuatu
Visit site
✟8,045.00
Faith
Christian
I just recieved this email from my instructor and thought it might interest some of you future teachers.

-----

This review is from the Christian Science Monitor...
The documentary it describes would be good to watch if you can.

Mr. G

'A Tale of Two Schools' probes difficulties of teaching youngsters to read

By Marjorie Coeyman

"W'e can't create miracles. We need some help here!"
This plaintive cry of an inner-city Texas reading
teacher goes a long way toward summing up the message of
"A Tale of Two Schools," a PBS documentary about the
task of teaching children to read. The job is hard
enough in an affluent area where parents reinforce
lessons at home, materials arrive on time, and teachers
receive the training they need. But in the two
low-income communities profiled in this hour-long show,
helping a child succeed can sometimes feel like the
loneliest job in the world. The good news, however,
this documentary implies, is that with help, success is
possible. Narrated by actor Morgan Freeman, "A Tale of
Two Schools" picks up at the start of the school year,
focusing on two classrooms. One is a first-grade class
at Walton Elementary, a Fort Worth, Texas, school long
considered one of the worst in the state but now in the
middle of a turnaround.

The other school is a second-grade class at Bearden
Elementary, a school struggling to educate some of the
nation's poorest children, in Sumner, Miss.

While the documentary breaks no new ground in examining
the challenges of turning low-income children into
fluent readers, it does put a human face on the
situation.

The show's directors choose to focus on one child in
each class. At Walton the cameras zoom in on Tavares, a
likable and irrepressible boy who is already beginning
life with several strikes against him. His face is
scarred from an accident, his mother has left the
family, and he missed most of kindergarten.

The most heartwarming sequences in this show tell the
story of modest gains for Tavares, and an unqualified
victory for his school. It's almost impossible to remain
dry-eyed during the scene when the principal
congratulates each teacher in an auditorium full of
cheering children.

At Bearden, success is harder won. The school received a
$200,000 grant to bolster reading instruction, but
materials and teacher training arrive too late in the
year to have the impact they should. The focus is on
Kathleena, a girl seen watching TV most nights in her
trailer-park home, and also on her teacher, Jill Todd.
Mrs. Todd is earnest and caring but new to the classroom
and clearly at sea.

The dynamic superintendent of schools at Bearden cares
passionately for these children and pours himself into
his work, to the point that his health and marriage
suffer.

Some viewers may quarrel with this documentary's
assumption that a highly structured reading program with
an emphasis on phonics is the definitive answer to
reading problems.

Nonetheless, one of the best things about this show is
its refusal to point fingers or pretend the parents are
not trying - even when they fail.

"A Tale of Two Schools" simultaneously demystifies and
humanizes the teaching of reading. And at the same time
it stirs viewers to marvel that effective help has been
so long in coming to students like Tavares and
Kathleena.

• 'A Tale of Two Schools' airs on many PBS stations in
September and October. Visit www.readingrockets.org for
dates and times.

Upvote 0

CoolWater

Person.
May 24, 2002
Lost Angels, CA
Visit site
✟7,926.00
Faith
Christian
Jill--

I am currently in the credential/masters program at UCLA. The program is specifically greared towards inner city programs. In fact, students are required to do their student teaching and their first full year in an urban school.

Tips? Well, I'm kinda cynical about all of the so-called teacher training. Most of the classes I took did not benefit me at all once I got into the classroom. Its almost like the classes are just there to have you jump through hoops. Student teaching prepares you somewhat, but there is nothing that truly prepares you for standing up in front of the classroom, door shut, with nothing but you and the students.

My only real tip is to be hard when you finally do get your own classroom, especially within the first month. Don't worry about their feelings (seriously). Don't let them get away with anything and don't waver on your rules. Though the kids might complain at first, they will come to appreciate the structure.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

JillLars

Jan 20, 2003
New Hope, MN
Visit site
✟3,944.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
That helps a lot coolwater. I have a lot of ideas for how I want to run my classroom, I started a portfolio today to record my ideas and develop them over the next couple years. I have been told that I have a "commanding presence" that "when I speak, everyone listens" from a communications teacher last year in college. So, I guess those will be good assets to have in the classroom. I have some experience giving presentations to middle and elementary school classes about the dangers of smoking. But, I am sure nothing will truly prepare me for teaching until I've actually done it.

Upvote 0