heron

Legend
Mar 24, 2005
✟33,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Anyway, I haven't seen that ad, but it does sound like it's in poor taste. I wouldn't go far as to say it's evil...There are much worse ones, not having to do with alcohol. I don't think Jesus would be all the offended. Just my opinion. Jesus did turn water into wine didn't he?
That's what I thought before I read the article... it was beyond uprofessional, not just about the Last Supper. Probably a local and not corporate decision... 95% of the population would be embarrassed by it.

Upvote 0

Alpine

Resident Sojourner
Sep 19, 2005
Wisconsin
✟25,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If I could, I'd like to make a couple points. I am a non-drinker who lives in Milwaukee, the city where Miller Brewing has its Headquarters. It is a raging hot topic here because of our identity as a Miller town. Also, during the summer, every weekend all the catholic churches have festivals that promote Miller beer.

1) It is a mocking of the painting by Leonardo Da Vinci. It isn't directly mocking Christians.

2) Beer companies advertise and support just about any type of festival and activity known to man. For an example, Miller supports Pride Fest, a huge Homosexual festival on the lakefront. (The logo is even on the web page)

Quite frankly I don't care about this, because I don't like beer, and I am not a homosexual. I don't quite see how this can be called blasphemous when it's just a mock up of The last supper, one of the most famous paintings ever.

Do people get upset when they see this painting get mocked up?

dogs%20playing%20poker.jpg

With this?

Poker_Joe_Cool_Logo.jpg

I think this is a case of another Christian group getting worked up over nothing. It's not blasphemous. It's not mocking Jesus. Let's relax.

(I also did not realize that the painting The last supper was considered sacred. Is it not a work of art?)

Upvote 0

Father Rick

Peace be with you
Jun 23, 2004
Sitting at this computer
Visit site
✟21,921.00
Country
Thailand
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Private
Well... I'm not really a beer drinker (first had beer while living in Germany-- by comparison, everything here in the US... well there just is no comparison).

As to the ad.... I did look at it (and wish I hadn't). It is a group of gay men dressed in S&M attire (if you have to ask, you don't want to know)... and the elements on the table (the bread and wine) are replaced with sex toys.

Yes, it is "art"... just as the original was art. But art is not just static-- art communicates a message.

To deliberately, intentionally take an image, such as that of the "Last Supper"-- which is a portrayal of one of the most significant events in the life of Christ and to change the image into one of debauchery...

Well, the message communicated is clearly one of mockery and blasphemy.

Upvote 0

simpleone

Veteran
Jan 30, 2007
✟18,099.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
To deliberately, intentionally take an image, such as that of the "Last Supper"-- which is a portrayal of one of the most significant events in the life of Christ and to change the image into one of debauchery...

Well, the message communicated is clearly one of mockery and blasphemy.

I would agree............but as Christians - the important factor would be how would we respond to something like this...

There is enough stuff out there which makes a mockery of God....we see it everyday....this is part of the christian journey - that we don't slip into or give into this...or stumble in our response to this.

We can pray, teach, live for God.....in the end of it all....God will judge each person for their errors.... we need not worry about this.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SharonL

Senior Veteran
Oct 15, 2005
Texas
Visit site
✟23,316.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

robbymac

has left the building
Jun 8, 2006
✟15,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I know not all those who are here drink alcoholic beverages, but I do know some do. This is NOT A DEBATE THREAD about whether christians should drink or not.

I saw this on Foxnews, and was quite surprised by it. Miller Brewing Co. is sponsoring a street fair in San Francisco. Here's the story: Foxnews - note that on the fox page there are links to the actual website which contains offensive material.

The front page of the website has a "mock" setup of the Last Supper, however it has men and women scantily dressed up with bondage items and other such items strewn across the table.

My question is, if you drink Miller products as a christian, how does it make you feel knowing that the money you pay for it, goes to sponsor things of this nature? This is a direct slap in the face to Christianity, imo.
Miller's poor excuse for "beer" is alreay offensive, and while I haven't seen the ads you mention, YES I would definitely be offended.

But then again, the world is offensive by nature, eh?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

nephilimiyr

I've Been Keepin My Eyes Wide Open
Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Miller's poor excuse for "beer" is alreay offensive, and while I haven't seen the ads you mention, YES I would definitely be offended.

But then again, the world is offensive by nature, eh?
:D In my opinion, a Canadian insulting an American beer is an oxy-moron, :wave:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.