By Sabrina's side
✟8,280.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Howdy!! Anybody here like to gunsmith, build, or tinker/modify? What do you like to work on? Fine turnbolt Mausers? FN/FALs? M1911a1s? What is your current project?
I have built 2 AKs, and have tricked out my plain jane m1911a1 with several aftermarket goodies, and other stuff. Currently I am working on an AMD-65 build, and a Yugo RPK is next.:D

GabrielAaron

Oct 16, 2006
Daytona Beach, Florida
✟7,689.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Very cool! I'm an avid shooter and used to hunt quite a bit. Not so much anymore, but still enjoy shooting. My only custom guns would be a remington 870 12ga that i've choked and shortened with an extended shell magazine and a composite stock and my favorite gun in the world ot shoot..ruger 10/22 with a fluted and polished bull barrel, 1lb target trigger, and a thumbhole sniper stock. It may only be a .22 but that thing will drive nails at 100 yards no problem. Tons of fun.

My father is the real gunner of the family though, his 50-some guns puts my 8 or 9 to shame. He's big into building or restoring antique weapons though. His pride and joy is a .50 Smith Carbine breech loader that was never fired. Awesome piece of history. Good luck and God Bless!

-Gabriel

Reactions: MetalDave
Upvote 0

MetalDave

Happily married to SabrinaFair!!!
Aug 13, 2006
By Sabrina's side
✟8,280.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Very cool! I'm an avid shooter and used to hunt quite a bit. Not so much anymore, but still enjoy shooting. My only custom guns would be a remington 870 12ga that i've choked and shortened with an extended shell magazine and a composite stock and my favorite gun in the world ot shoot..ruger 10/22 with a fluted and polished bull barrel, 1lb target trigger, and a thumbhole sniper stock. It may only be a .22 but that thing will drive nails at 100 yards no problem. Tons of fun.

My father is the real gunner of the family though, his 50-some guns puts my 8 or 9 to shame. He's big into building or restoring antique weapons though. His pride and joy is a .50 Smith Carbine breech loader that was never fired. Awesome piece of history. Good luck and God Bless!

-Gabriel
Cool! The 10/22 and 870 are great guns!!

Upvote 0
i love my Mouzin Nagant! -

it is ornignial from 1938 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
w/ baonet i have alwaze wanted one since i was a kid , and my boss bought me one last year ( he barly knew how much i liked the gun)

the only smithing i need to do is find out how to get a scope on it , but i am still accurate with open sites , triger is a little stiff as well.

Upvote 0

HiredGoon

Old School Presbyterian
Dec 16, 2003
✟4,843.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I prefer working with flintlocks, it combines woodworking skills with metalworking. I built a .58 cal Christian Springs/Edward Marshall flintlock rifle with a 37" swamped barrel. I've also done some work modifying a flintlock tradegun I have, mostly reshaping the stock. In the future I'd like to build a 1750s Long Land Pattern Musket, commonly known as a "1st model Brown Bess," or possibly a 17th century snaphaunce musket.

Upvote 0

Jody7818

Jul 8, 2005
Gainesville, GA
✟403.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I'm a Toolmaker by trade. But I have always wanted to learn how to build custom guns. So I understand the theory and how it's done.

I have a .308 custom gun with a sako stock. It has a Liljen barrell and a Remington action. It also has a Timney trigger. A custom gunbuilder built the gun for me. It shoots really good.

Upvote 0

Historygeek

Jan 2, 2007
Livingston MT
✟7,819.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I never built from scratch, but did assemble a Kentucky .45 caliber muzzleloading pistol from a kit. I use that pistol mostly for show, tucked into the belt of my Mountain Man outfit when i go to Rendezvous. It actually shoots, but ain't acurate for nothin'. It seems i would have a better chance of killin' something by throwing a rock at it than i would shootin' it with that pistol.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FatFarmGal

Apr 26, 2007
TEXAS
Visit site
✟7,645.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have a Winchester 338 Mag that was custom built by Homer Koon in Flower Mound TX. It is called an Omega III. It belonged to my dad and I got it for my husband. There were only 500 made. He is a toolmaker also and has made pistol grips and tooled parts for people. He also likes to make custom knives.

Upvote 0

MetalDave

Happily married to SabrinaFair!!!
Aug 13, 2006
By Sabrina's side
✟8,280.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
anim_sniper2.gif

Yeah, cosmo stripping counts! At least on some of the worst ones! Did you have to disassemble it and bake the stock? :p

Man, I haven't built anything since I last posted. :( But I did aquire a Japanese Type 99 carbine, war capture- chrysanthemum not ground off- , with the wood so dirty you could not see any grain. I took it apart and cleaned the wood, it looks alot better. Now for some dies, brass, and bullets to reload with! :cool:

anim_sniper2.gif

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

HappyChicken

Domestic Egg Executive
Nov 11, 2007
Indiana
✟8,861.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I prefer working with flintlocks, it combines woodworking skills with metalworking. I built a .58 cal Christian Springs/Edward Marshall flintlock rifle with a 37" swamped barrel. I've also done some work modifying a flintlock tradegun I have, mostly reshaping the stock. In the future I'd like to build a 1750s Long Land Pattern Musket, commonly known as a "1st model Brown Bess," or possibly a 17th century snaphaunce musket.

I never built from scratch, but did assemble a Kentucky .45 caliber muzzleloading pistol from a kit. I use that pistol mostly for show, tucked into the belt of my Mountain Man outfit when i go to Rendezvous. It actually shoots, but ain't acurate for nothin'. It seems i would have a better chance of killin' something by throwing a rock at it than i would shootin' it with that pistol.

My father built me a flintlock. It's beautiful.. he used an old spoon as the trigger guard! Its really neat. I wish I knew how to post pictures of it here. My father also loves going to the Rendezvous in Friendship, Indiana.

Upvote 0

Hawkenman

Jul 29, 2007
✟15,146.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
I like to build Hawken rifles, I get most of my kits and accessories from a company called Track of the Wolf. The kits are not for the novice, but you can have them due certain pre-finish labor (threading screws,breach plugs,ect..). I prefer the curliest maple stocks I can obtain, and after about a year of on and off labor you have a firearm worthy to be in a museun.

Upvote 0