another tongues question (different from the usual ones though)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RHJ

Aug 14, 2005
South Cariboo, BC
✟255.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
A few years back I had this one key phrase in another tongue that would come to me, but I never had the nerve to say it out loud because I wasn't sure if it was real or not. I then ran away as far from God as fast as I could for various reasons, and I wanted nothing to do with Him. Threeish years later, I've come back to Him, and this phrase has come back to me. Keep in mind that I've got a second-language memory of about five seconds, and it's been three years since I last had this phrase in my head. Would it be safe to say that this is a prayer tongue? I've verbalised it a few times and havent' felt like I'm doing anything wrong (I've felt tentatively right about verbalising it) and I haven't been struck down by lightening, but I'm still not *sure* if it's from God. I don't see how something that ISN'T from God could stick in my memory as crystal clear as it has though. Something (or Someone) is telling me "yes" but I don't want to be verbalising something that I shouldn't be. :help:

godson777

May 3, 2004
Sydney
✟8,474.00
Faith
Christian
What you are experiencing is DEFINTIELY a prayer language in tongues FROM GOD.

I encourage you to go ahead and step right out in faith and begin to speak that thing out loud! Speak it over and over again, until more syllable, words and phrases come and eventually you will be speaking fluently in an uknown language!

I had a similar thing when I go baptised in the Holy Spirit. All of a sudden I had this word going around in my head. I began to speak it and more came, and then more, and slowly over weeks and months I became totally fluent!

Don't be afraid that you are making it up. You aren't. The devil tells that to everyone when they first start speaking in tongues because he knows the power of it and does his best to stop people from using this awesome weapon. Go into your room, put on some worship music and begin to speak in tongues. You may feel silly at first, but you just need to tell your soul to be quiet! Ignore your soul and continue praying with your spirit.

I am excited about what is happening in your life and I encourage you to speak it because I know that this is from God!

Upvote 0

PastorJoey

Veteran
Oct 6, 2005
Post, TX.
Visit site
✟13,375.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
First of all RHJ dont be in fear about whether it is of God or not. YOu can never go wrong seeking to please God. "When you ask for bread will he give you a stone"? How much more will He give the Holy Spirit to those who ask. Dont worry about something that isnt of God being given to you. I believe that is of God, 'the word you keep receiving'. Just go ahead a begin to pray it out.
PastorJ:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

allin1

Sep 7, 2005
✟136.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Talk about being in one mind and one accord! I believe this also to be of God, and the enemy don't like it! Too bad devil, another Holy Ghost filled Christian is on the loose!!! Go gettem RHJ! By the way, being born and raised catholic, then bouncing into the baptist faith and finally deep into a Holy Ghost filled denomination was a real eye opener for me. Right now, the enemy is doing the same thing to my husband that he was doing to you RHJ. Pray that he will not let the little twirp hinder the authority and power that is within him. Thanks, and God Bless.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

prophecystudent

Oct 10, 2005
✟1,313.00
Faith
Christian
Don't be discouraged. Keep at it, you will become more and more fluent.

I had the same problem. I was baptized in the Holy Ghost and started speaking in tongues, but was limited because I kept "rationalizing" the whole thing. Always got in the way.

I hope nobody minds if I digress a little and tell you about my first experience with a real spirit filled, pentecostal service.

My mom had been born again and was speaking fluently in tongues. She, naturally enough, wanted her three kids to experience the same thing and kept pushing us. Note that we were all married and had kids of our own.

I lived across the country from where the rest of the family was, and went on a visit to work off some stress. (Another story).

My sister, I, and my brother had already arranged to go to Mom's church as a surprise on that Mother's day. Well, we all showed up at the same time just after Mom arrived. She was really surprised.

The service started (in a single family house, with the living room as the sanctuary) and the pastor led off in prayer. Now it is important that everyone understand that none of the three kids had ever experienced ANY Pentecostal service before.

The attendees were all sitting on chairs and some old benches in the living room. Mom, Stepdad, Sis, Brother and I were all right in the front row about 3 feet from the preacher.

All of a sudden a woman right behind us started speaking in a foreign language (very loudly) which kind of startled us. I had traveled a lot and had heard a lot of foreign languages but that was one I never heard before.

After she was through speaking, the preacher kindly explained what had happened, and said that God never gives a message without the interpretation. We would wait on the Lord for the interpretation. A few minutes went by and Mom provided the message.

Next the preacher announced that he had the need to hold a healing service for someone in the congregation. OK, so far.

One man said he really needed healing for his back. I watched as he slowly and painfully made his way to the front. Several men anointed him with oil, the preacher and the men prayed for his healing. Suddenly the man was not to be seen. He had collapsed on the floor. My brother and I looked at each other, wondering if we could leave now. (sounds really funny now, but at the time it was a little unsettling).

In any case, the preacher explained what had happened, that the man had been "slain in the spirit", and was perfectly OK.

The mad got up, jumped around a little bit and announced that he had been healed.

In one session we were shown speaking in tongues, being slain in the spirit, divine healing, receiving the Lord's word (intepretation of a message in tongues).

I later joined a full gospe church, got active in a counselling center, etc. I watched, and participated, in quite a number of those "strange events" with never any doubt or question of their authenticity.

God is so good that He knew it would take something like what we saw on that day to get me to commit. I had always been a believer, but that sealed the commitment.

Sorry for the long post, and I hope you take it in the spirit it is meant.

Fred

Upvote 0

allieisme

I am ME
Apr 1, 2002
✟19,803.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have wanted the gift of speaking in Tongues for years now, but it hasnt came to me yet. I've prayed, had other people pray for me, and I thought at one time I was getting it, or going to receive it, then I think maybe fear took over, and all I could hear was myself, and I think I just freaked myself out.
My husband on the other hand was praying in his work vehicle on day at work, and all of a sudden it came to him, and he was praying in tongues.
Does this come easier for some people?

Upvote 0

godson777

May 3, 2004
Sydney
✟8,474.00
Faith
Christian
Tongues are for everyone (Acts 2:4). All you need to do is start speaking them in faith! Get alone, ask for the infilling of the Spirit and then begin to move your mouth and speak in tongues! Everyone who is baptised in the Holy Spirit can speak in tongues.

1 Corinthians 12:30 is referring to the public gift of tongues, not the private prayer language.

Upvote 0

Wigglesworth

Simple Chicken Farmer
Aug 21, 2004
Visit site
✟17,933.00
Faith
Charismatic
I have a case of the book titled "Why Not Speak in Tongues?" which has a great Scriptural explanation of the Baptism in the Holy Spirit. If anyone wants one free and postpaid, send me a PM with your name and mailing address. I will send them out until I run out of them.

The author was a member of the Full Gospel Business Men's Fellowship, and his widow distributed it by the case to members of the Fellowship after he died. It's a great resource, but it's probably not generally available.

:crossrc:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

kt3915

Aug 7, 2005
st.louis
✟155.00
Faith
Christian
Wigglesworth said:
I have a case of the book titled "Why Not Speak in Tongues?" which has a great Scriptural explanation of the Baptism in the Holy Spirit. If anyone wants one free and postpaid, send me a PM with your name and mailing address. I will send them out until I run out of them.

The author was a member of the Full Gospel Business Men's Fellowship, and his widow distributed it by the case to members of the Fellowship after he died. It's a great resource, but it's probably not generally available.

:crossrc:
I not shure of tongues, sometimes i dont understand it really, someone help.. i am very confused about this..

Upvote 0

misdeavious

Oct 11, 2005
✟15,522.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
i totally love something i heard at a recent conference - 'God had to shut down his mind so he could speak to his spirit'...when it comes to tongues it's all about letting the spirit living inside every Christian intercede for us.

Romans 8:26 - "in the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express.And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints in accordance with God's will."

I'm still just starting out with it all...but when you do it don't be thinking about it. Pray for it, knowing that it's something God wants to give you, then have faith that he will. Have a clear mind and let ur spirit do the talking...

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.