Another newbie question

hawkeyelovejs

Shine bright so others see Christ in you!
Oct 9, 2013
Midwestern girl!
✟7,902.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
So, as I've said before, I have a strong pull to the Catholic church and I'm taking the next year or so to explore that draw and see if converting to Catholicism is the right step for me.

One thing that remains heavy on my heart is if I become Catholic, do I have to marry a Catholic man as well? This really drives me crazy and is probably one of the top two reasons I hold back on converting because I don't even have a hint of a future husband right now. I'd like to trust that it will all just work out, but the logical side of me is also thinking about the church's stance on acknowledging marriages and wanting to go to church with my husband, feel spiritually aligned and connected, and raise children in one church. I don't know why, but I feel like if I became Catholic and then married a Lutheran (just an example) I will have made a mistake -- either in the faith choice or the marriage choice.

For those who converted alone, did you have such reservations that caused so much stress before you made the commitment? I know some of you have different denominations in your marriages. How does that even work? Do you ever feel as though you don't align or connect spiritually?

Why are these details stressing me out so much??? :confused: :scratch: :eek: :help:

Second Phoenix

Jul 28, 2013
✟2,668.00
Faith
Christian
So, as I've said before, I have a strong pull to the Catholic church and I'm taking the next year or so to explore that draw and see if converting to Catholicism is the right step for me.

One thing that remains heavy on my heart is if I become Catholic, do I have to marry a Catholic man as well? This really drives me crazy and is probably one of the top two reasons I hold back on converting because I don't even have a hint of a future husband right now. I'd like to trust that it will all just work out, but the logical side of me is also thinking about the church's stance on acknowledging marriages and wanting to go to church with my husband, feel spiritually aligned and connected, and raise children in one church. I don't know why, but I feel like if I became Catholic and then married a Lutheran (just an example) I will have made a mistake -- either in the faith choice or the marriage choice.

For those who converted alone, did you have such reservations that caused so much stress before you made the commitment? I know some of you have different denominations in your marriages. How does that even work? Do you ever feel as though you don't align or connect spiritually?

Why are these details stressing me out so much??? :confused: :scratch: :eek: :help:

No, you don't have to marry a Catholic.

You may find, over time, that you want to marry a Catholic.

Upvote 0

maryofoxford

Apr 12, 2012
Michigan
✟8,169.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Like anything involving marriage; for the couple to hold the same view on important issues, and views, helps tremendously. Scripture reads that a Christian should not be "unequally yoked". This term was taken from the days when farmers would hook two oxen, horses, etc. up together in order to pull a heavier load. It was always very important to have a team that were very 'in tune' with each other. Picture just trying to move a heavy object by pulling it with another friend (especially an object that is impossible to move by yourself). If you both don't yank on that rope at exactly the same time, it results in only one of you actually pulling. The result is both of you wear out quickly and the load never budges! BUT, if you are equal in your thoughts and the way you pull the load then the weight of the object is actually cut in half, making it very easy to accomplish moving it.
The Lord was actually using this to describe why it's so important to marry a person of the same spiritual belief. To know and belief the truths of the Catholic faith, but be married to someone that either has no faith at all, or a faith that is opposed to yours, but equally as strong to them, would create confusion for your children, and frustration for each of you. It's possible to make such a marriage work, but the end results are that either one or both people lose their faith, one converts to the other ones faith, or both keep their faith, but always remain luke warm in it. Far easier to simply date people that share your belief.

Upvote 0

WisdomTree

Philosopher
Feb 2, 2012
Lincoln
✟15,879.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

According to canon law, a Catholic may marry anyone of their choice regardless of faith, however this must be done with the express permission of an ecclesiastical authority i.e. the bishop while an express dispensation is required for marrying a non-Christian. Though you may marry a non-Catholic, it is understood by the Church that the children raised will be raised in the Catholic faith.

In terms of children, I think there is an exception when it comes to marrying an Orthodox, because in terms of the Rite (Particular Church) someone is raised in, it is dependent on what the Rite the father follows in the event the Rite is different for the two spouses. Since the Catholic Church recognizes the legitimacy of Orthodox sacraments/mysteries, with reservation.

Upvote 0

steve_bakr

Christian
Aug 3, 2011
✟22,533.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I am a convert who is married to an evangelical Christian. This was a huge consideration. There was originally some tension in the marriage, but we've had a rapproachment for some time now.
The downside is that my wife and I attend different churches, which is big. But we have learned to support and encourage one another.

We don't argue about doctrinal issues, but just keep to our own faith walk and everything goes well. We talk about God and Jesus, and also about our respective Church activities and friends. We don't split hairs over doctrinal issues.

I would say to marry for love, and everything will work out. Some Protestant spouses don't mind attending Catholic Masses, and others even convert over time.

The thing is to let each other be who each of you are and respect where each of you are in life.

Upvote 0