Jan 27, 2005
USA
Visit site
✟1,265.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Since this came up in the mezuzah thread, I thought I'd start a new one with my questions. I have never anointed anything with oil before nor have I ever been anointed with oil. So, can someone explain this to me. I've read about it being done in the Bible, but couldn't tell you what it looked like and why really it's done. What's so special about oil? What does it do when it's being used for anointing? Why ...

Dr. Shon

Jan 6, 2005
✟15,446.00
Faith
Christian
It's my understanding that the oil represents the Holy Spirit. I have heard of people being healed when anointed with oil and people being healed when no oil was used. I don't know if it is just a "point of contact" for their faith or if it's significance is more than that. Haven't been much help here have I? :)

Upvote 0

Beth-el girl

Feb 4, 2005
ohio
✟437.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Here's a something that might help.
James 5 Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord:

Jam 5:15And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him.
Jam 5:16Confess [your] faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.
anointing him with oil--The usage which Christ committed to His apostles was afterwards continued with laying on of hands, as a token of the highest faculty of medicine in the Church, just as we find in 1Cr 6:2 the Church's highest judicial function. Now that the miraculous gift of healing has been withdrawn for the most part, to use the sign where the reality is wanting would be unmeaning superstition. Compare other apostolic usages now discontinued rightly, 1Cr 11:4-15 16:20 . "Let them use oil who can by their prayers obtain recovery for the sick: let those who cannot do this, abstain from using the empty sign" [WHITAKER]. Romish extreme unction is administered to those whose life is despaired of, to heal the soul, whereas James' unction was to heal the body. CARDINAL CAJETAN [Commentary] admits that James cannot refer to extreme unction. Oil in the East, and especially among the Jews (see the Talmud, Jerusalem and Babylon), was much used as a curative agent. It was also a sign of the divine grace. Hence it was an appropriate sign in performing miraculous cures.
in the name of the Lord--by whom alone the miracle was performed: men were but the instruments.

15. prayer--He does not say the oil shall save: it is but the symbol.

Upvote 0

P_G

Pastor - ד ע ה - The Lunch Lady
Dec 13, 2003
North East Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟13,348.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
The oil of annointing brings forth to the memory the presence of G-d

If you recall Moshe was called to annoint his brother in the desert with oil as priest. This oil was very differently compounded from all other oils. It smelled different. Now when they annointed as was proper the oil was placed in a special rams horn just used for the purpouse. And the oil flowed over Arron over his head and beard and clothing.

I dare say Arron was one good smelling fellow after that. In fact you would know that Arron was around even if you could not see him because well you could smell him! The sweet aroma of the L-rd. And everyone would get this gentle reminder of G-d in their midst.

We annoint the sick much the same way G-d wants to remind us that it is by his hand and by his will that healing and mercy takes place. The oil again is there to remind us. To bring to mind his mercies which are new every morning. The oil has no power it'self but G-d who commands the oil has all power!

Baruch Ha'shem

PG

Upvote 0

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟576,471.44
Faith
Messianic
One thing is for sure... anointing oil contains the volatile essences of spices..

Exodus 25:6
Oil for the light, spices for anointing oil, and for sweet incense,

Exodus 30:25
And thou shalt make it an oil of holy ointment, an ointment compound after the art of the apothecary: it shall be an holy anointing oil.

On of the few things that is put into the unleaven bread is oil. Yeshua our unleaven bread had the healing touch...

Exodus 29:2
And unleavened bread, and cakes unleavened tempered with oil, and wafers unleavened anointed with oil: of wheaten flour shalt thou make them

One of the things we are all familiar with is the anointing of priests and kings with oil.

Exodus 29:7
Then shalt thou take the anointing oil, and pour it upon his head, and anoint him.

Upvote 0

Beth-el girl

Feb 4, 2005
ohio
✟437.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Dr. Shon said:
Nehemiah_Center, Very well said.

Beth-el girl, "Now that the miraculous gift of healing has been withdrawn for the most part,...". Is this what you think personally, or is it just part of what you were quoting? Sorry if I'm being "duh". Just want to be sure I'm clear. OK? Thanks. :)

Sure it's fine glad you asked. It's just part of the quote.

Upvote 0