Apr 8, 2004
Midwest
Visit site
✟11,417.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
Excellent article, with opinions & views from the Iraqis themselves. Despite your political opinions, these folks need to be in our prayers daily. Most Iraqis are good people who just want a normal life. They seemed to be split right down the middle in their opinion whether or not life was better under Saddam, or better now under temporary U.S. occupation.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/03/17/iraq.anniversary/index.html

A few interesting excerpts:

"My story didn't start after the war. It started as a child under Saddam. I remember that, in my early 20s, I was sent to a prison for a month and tortured because I did a report on Iraqi TV showing an American flag."

"Life was much better under Saddam," one man said from the back of the bus.

But he couldn't finish the sentence. An angry man at the other end of the bus, turned around and yelled, "What was better under Saddam? Give me one example. Are you talking about the wars Saddam put us through? Or the mass graves that he created during his era? Or the torture centers? Tell me one thing that was better under Saddam and I will applaud you."

Eleven of us were on the bus that day -- everybody giving a different opinion about the current situation. Some criticized the Iraqi government, others the United States, and some blamed Saddam loyalists. And, of course, many blamed the terrorists who kill Iraqis daily.

Listening to the exchange was remarkable because it never could have happened under Saddam. Before the war, nobody could voice frustration or anger.

There was no free press to question politicians. Now, when there is so much to talk about, we can finally exercise that right. Whether riding the bus or sitting at restaurants, talking freely has become part of the atmosphere everywhere.

Every Iraqi has a story to tell.

The very end of the article is what really gets to me.

But now before my eyes, I am seeing my people killed. We never expected to live through an era of such fear and anxiety. I cannot accept what is happening now, but still I do not want to turn back.

I remember one day when my mother was watching news on local TV as they showed the aftermath of an explosion that missed a joint U.S. and Iraqi military convoy, but killed two nearby children.

Tears ran down her face, as she cried in silence. I approached her, hugged her shoulder and asked her in this moment as she sat there crying, "Hey Mom, if you could return to the days before the war, would you?"

She looked at me for a while -- and still crying, shook her head slowly and said, "No".
:pray:

simplicity

incredibly ordinary member
Jun 29, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
✟3,507.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I known the Western media sometimes portray Iraq as a single culture either for or against particular issues. But Iraq is culturally diverse and prone to internal conflicts. It's the sort of troubled dynamics Saddam himself pointed out during his trial. It does not hurt to pray for peace. Rarely can a broken family be forced into reconciliation by an armed police officer.

Upvote 0

SuzQ

I'm.....Wonder Woman
Apr 8, 2004
Midwest
Visit site
✟11,417.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
susanann said:
We made more progress in Vietnam after 3 years than we have in Iraq.

Apples to oranges. Different war, different circumstances.

Besides, what does this have to do with the OP, anyway?? This thread is about the Iraqi people, their lives, feelings - not another American bashfest. There's several other threads for that. ;)

Upvote 0

Kalevalatar

Supisuomalainen sisupussi
Jul 5, 2005
Pohjola
✟20,327.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Writes Riverbend from Baghdad in Baghdad Burning:

Saturday, March 18, 2006

Three Years...
It has been three years since the beginning of the war that marked the end of Iraq’s independence. Three years of occupation and bloodshed.

[...]

I’m sitting here trying to think what makes this year, 2006, so much worse than 2005 or 2004. It’s not the outward differences- things such as electricity, water, dilapidated buildings, broken streets and ugly concrete security walls. Those things are disturbing, but they are fixable. Iraqis have proved again and again that countries can be rebuilt. No- it’s not the obvious that fills us with foreboding.

The real fear is the mentality of so many people lately- the rift that seems to have worked it’s way through the very heart of the country, dividing people. It’s disheartening to talk to acquaintances- sophisticated, civilized people- and hear how Sunnis are like this, and Shia are like that… To watch people pick up their things to move to “Sunni neighborhoods” or “Shia neighborhoods”. How did this happen?

[...]

Three years after the war, and we’ve managed to move backwards in a visible way, and in a not so visible way.

Upvote 0

Kalevalatar

Supisuomalainen sisupussi
Jul 5, 2005
Pohjola
✟20,327.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
And from another fellow female blogger in Baghdad: Faiza:

Sunday, March 12th, 2006

Good morning…
A week ago, I came to America by invitation, by an organization to participate in the Women's Day Activities, to call for an end to the war on Iraq, and pull out the armies…

The situation in Iraq now is the worst that can be, since Baghdad fell in April 2003, meaning; three years passed since the war, and the results we reaped were destruction, ruin, killings, and bloodshed… billions of dollars were robbed, thousands of souls perished, our cities and villages destroyed, and there are some who are pulling the people apart, pushing them to a sectarian civil war. There is an occupation army filling the streets, doing what? we do not know, they build military bases which spell the message- they want to remain for ever, that they do not care for our souls, and that everything that is happening to us pours into their interest, and is a reason for them to stay…
Iraq is torn apart…
Iraq is ruined…
Iraq became a heap of debris…
Is this what they want?
Was this their aim in this war?
This is what I want to say to the American people, I want them to know the real story of the war, not the story they hear in their biased media, financed by the government and its friends…
I want the people here to stand up and face their responsibility for what is happening in Iraq…
Do they join their government in its crimes against the Iraqi people? Or are they against her?
It is time the whole world, and especially the Iraqis, should know the true attitude of the American people from this war…

By all means, go ahead and read her thoughts.

Upvote 0

susanann

Senior Veteran
Nov 5, 2005
✟13,020.00
Faith
Christian
Kalevalatar said:
And from another fellow female blogger in Baghdad: Faiza:
Sunday, March 12th, 2006

Good morning…
A week ago, I came to America by invitation, by an organization to participate in the Women's Day Activities, to call for an end to the war on Iraq, and pull out the armies…

The situation in Iraq now is the worst that can be, since Baghdad fell in April 2003, meaning; three years passed since the war, and the results we reaped were destruction, ruin, killings, and bloodshed… billions of dollars were robbed, thousands of souls perished, our cities and villages destroyed, and there are some who are pulling the people apart, pushing them to a sectarian civil war. There is an occupation army filling the streets, doing what? we do not know, they build military bases which spell the message- they want to remain for ever, that they do not care for our souls, and that everything that is happening to us pours into their interest, and is a reason for them to stay…
Iraq is torn apart…
Iraq is ruined…
Iraq became a heap of debris…
Is this what they want?
Was this their aim in this war?
This is what I want to say to the American people, I want them to know the real story of the war, not the story they hear in their biased media, financed by the government and its friends…
I want the people here to stand up and face their responsibility for what is happening in Iraq…
Do they join their government in its crimes against the Iraqi people? Or are they against her?
It is time the whole world, and especially the Iraqis, should know the true attitude of the American people from this war…

By all means, go ahead and read her thoughts.

An even better contrast can be seen when comparing Iraq today, with the way Iraq was before bush1 started the war. We have been fighting and harrassing Iraq for 16 years, not just 3 years.

16 years ago, before the first US aggression, Iraq was our ally and friend, and a roadblock to Iran's aggressions. Iraq 16 years ago was modern, and had a high standard of living.

It was not the Garden of Eden, but with so many factions continually threatening civil war, no one has come up with a better plan than Saddam to keep stability in that country and to keep Iran from being a threat to us.

We were also a lot safer from terrorism under Reagan with his friendship with Iraq, than we are now.

Upvote 0

blueapplepaste

the purpose of life is a life of purpose
Jun 7, 2005
Texas
✟18,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Thanks for the article.

I think that all of us (including BOTH sides) get too wrapped up in partisan bickering that we forget that Iraq isn't just some game or some "object" that we're fighting over. It's a country with people. And these people all too often get forgotten. I wish that instead of thinking about "us us us us" all the time, that we stopped and thought about the Iraqi people and what is in their best interest.

Upvote 0

CCGirl

Resident Commie
Sep 21, 2005
Canada
✟27,370.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
blueapplepaste said:
Thanks for the article.

I think that all of us (including BOTH sides) get too wrapped up in partisan bickering that we forget that Iraq isn't just some game or some "object" that we're fighting over. It's a country with people. And these people all too often get forgotten. I wish that instead of thinking about "us us us us" all the time, that we stopped and thought about the Iraqi people and what is in their best interest.

Hear, hear.:thumbsup:

If you really want to hear from Iraqis, and people who live in Iraq, cnn is the last place to go!

www.dahrjamail.com is the place to read these stories.

Upvote 0