angry, sad, and broken (WARNING: VERY long post!)

Musician4Jesus

Sep 7, 2006
✟11,215.00
Faith
Baptist
WARNING: I tried to just make this one post, but due to the post being so long the site, wouldn't let me. As a result, I had to make two posts to fit everything in. Sorry!

Like I said, it's a long post; there are many reasons why I feel this way, most of them go back 10-20 years.

Some of the reasons I am feeling the way I do have to do with God and other reasons have to do with Christians.

Ever since I was a kid, I have felt like I've been on the outside looking in, that there's no place for me. That being said, there's a certain way you're expected to think and act that is considered normal (this varies depending on the culture; what's a normal and acceptable way of acting in one culture, might be considered NOT normal and acceptable in another culture, and vise versa).

Specifically I'm referring to American culture (United States/North America). In North America, being extrovert is what you're encouraged to do from the time you're a child; if you're introvert, you're seen as inferior and that something is wrong with you (if you're quiet, people immediately assume you're sad/something is wrong, and/or you're seen as standoffish/weird).

That's just one of the things I am dealing with. When I was a kid, I dealt with multiple things. On top of that I had Aspergers, but unfortunately it wasn't well known during my childhood, nor was there the awareness of it in schools that there is now. You're supposed to get diagnosed with it and intervention with it when you're a kid, so that when it doesn't effect you as badly as an adult. Since I didn't get the intervention for it as a kid, it is effecting me very badly as an adult. Unfortunately Aspergers effects every aspect of a person's life To make things more frustrating many Christians will often assume that because I say it effects every aspect of my life they can have this attitude of 'that's because you're letting/choosing to let it do that' and/or 'you're being self-defeatist/negative'. I am not doing either of these things, this is merely being honest and is the reality of having it.

Some of the reasons I am feeling the way I do have to do with God and other reasons have to do with Christians.

I've always felt like I'm on the outside looking in and in most cultures, being different is almost always seen in a negative light.

Specifically I'm referring to American culture (United States/North America). In North America, being extrovert is what you're encouraged to do from the time you're a child; if you're introvert, you're seen as inferior and that something is wrong with you (if you're quiet, people immediately assume you're sad/something is wrong, and/or you're seen as standoffish/weird).

That's just one of the things I am dealing with. When I was a kid, I dealt with multiple things. On top of that I had Aspergers, but unfortunately it wasn't well known during my childhood, nor was there the awareness of it in schools that there is now. You're supposed to get diagnosed with it and intervention with it when you're a kid, so that when it doesn't effect you as badly as an adult. Since I didn't get the intervention for it as a kid, it is effecting me very badly as an adult. Unfortunately Aspergers effects every aspect of a person's life To make things more frustrating many Christians will often assume that because I say it effects every aspect of my life they can have this attitude of 'that's because you're letting/choosing to let it do that' and/or 'you're being self-defeatist/negative'. I am not doing either of these things, this is merely being honest and is the reality of having it.

Symptoms of Aspergers:

*Poor eye contact/difficulty making eye contact (didn't come naturally to me, had to learn it)
*Cannot read body language
*Difficulty interpreting sarcasm and/or when somebody is joking
*Voice modulation (too loud or too soft, cannot find happy medium- a normal tone of voice)
*Difficulty articulating a point; cannot just give a simple and straightfoward answer
*Bad with small talk;
*Difficulty forming and keeping friendships
*Bad with empathy.

*Difficulty with conversation. Tend to talk at people rather than to them.

*very literal with thinking (all-or-nothing thinking very common)

*Sensory issues, it's commonly referred to as sensory overload, and this is in regards to 5 senses. They can tolerate this to an extent but they have a threshold, but if their senses are overwhelmed they react adversely (yelling, kicking/hitting people/things, and/or completely shutting down). With food, foods with weird textures can cause issues; typically foods that are too sour and/or bitter, can create problems. With sounds, they don't like loud and repetitive noises. With touch, some may hate physical affection and/or not like certain textures (i.e. with clothes) and/or might not like clothes that are too tight fitting/restrictive. With sight, it's common to not like lights that are too bright.

It's very common for those with aspergers to also have depression too; low self-esteem and/or self-confidence, and self-hatred is also very common.

*Sadness
*Loss of interest in things you once enjoyed/loved (with hobbies)
*Withdrawal (isolating yourself from others/not socializing)
*Mood swings
*Becoming easily irritated/angry
*Change in appetite; eating too and/or too little
*Suicidal thoughts
*Anxiety
*Difficulty concentrating/focusing
*Sleeping too much (hypersomnia) and/or difficulty falling and staying asleep at night (insomnia)

Unfortunately mainstream Christian culture is not helping things with depression; you cannot openly talk about it, and stigma for having it is common. Many times it's not seen as a legitimate illness (that if you just pray hard enough/have enough faith, you wouldn't have it; that it's not depression, but demon possession; that because you have it, you're selfish). When people ask 'how are you' at church it's extremely frustrating to me, because typically they're not asking because they care, but to be polite. You're expected to bury your pain, sorrow, and/or problems.

Another thing that frustrates me regarding depression is oversimplified solutions that don’t work. Typical suggestions are...
*Go out and get fresh air and sunshine
*Exercise
*Volunteer/help others
*Take up a hobby you enjoy/do something you love
*Get a pet (less common)
*Socialize w friends/family
*Be thankful/have a positive attitude
*Find your joy and strength in God

The above suggestions while they alleviate depression, don't make it go away esp if the form you have is more severe and/or chronic.

Unfortunately being ostracized/rejected is very common if you have depression.Many Christians don't associate with those with depression (for lack of a better term) because they don't want to be patronizing to them. However it’s just as true that many Christians avoid those (saved or not) is because they just don’t want to deal w/them because it makes them feel uncomfortable/unpleasant. I hear incessantly at church, that we're supposed to love one another, and minister to those who are not pleasant and/or unloving to be around, but many times I don't see them practicing what they preach. This issue isn't just exclusive to my church, it's an issue with mainstream Christian culture as whole (at least in North America). There are certain ways that are considered acceptable to act and think; as long as adhere to those guidelines you're accepted/loved/ supported/receive time/help/attention. However if you don't you typically tend to be ostracized/stigma. If you are acknowledged it's typically negative attention (people trying to 'fix' you, playing the comparison game with problems, somebody has it worse off your problems mean nothing/aren't important, accused of whining/complaining for being real about pain/sorrow/problems because it's not nice like they want to hear).

The biggest reason what I just described angers and hurts me so much, is we’re supposed to emulate the love of Christ, and none of these things is what he would do! He wouldn’t

The next set of issues are problems I have seen with contemporary Christian culture as a whole, so the issues I am going to discuss, aren't just exclusive to my church; this is why I think 'going to a new church' wouldn't help. I am tired of the selfishness, the complacency, and the shallowness of mainstream Christian culture in North America. I am not saying all churches are like this, nor am I saying all Christians are like this, but these issues I am seeing are commonplace in contemporary mainstream Christian culture. The Bible says our life isn't our own, we live to love and serve God first, others second, and OUR needs/wants go last; the whole reason we exist is for God's pleasure and to worship Him. Real serving requires being inconvenienced, requires time/effort, being inconvenienced, and many times means doing stuff you don't want to do.

1.Being treated as a social club. Many times the only reason Christians go to church is for what they can get out of it; many times the only reason they worship is because it makes them feel good, but worship is not about us, it's about God.

2. Selfishness with serving. My pastor preaches incessantly how important it is to reach out and serve others, and how important it is to do outreach in the community. However 'outreach and serving' has become relegated to doing an outreach project once a month, and serving at church on Sundays. I don't see ministry/outreach to the community happening on a consistent basis. As I said many times Christians will only serve if

3 .Fellowship is non-existent, it's only relegated to church-oriented stuff (church on Sundays, and going to a Bible study), but I don't (at least not consistently) see it carrying over into real life.

4. Older singles (30+) being neglected; I don't think this intentional, but it's still happening.
The focus and emphasis is on ministering to those raising families, that's where all the time, effort, and resources go. No I haven't discussed this issue with my pastor, I see no point in doing so. He's made it quite clear that the vision for our church is ministering and to families. Since that's the target demographic for my church, any new people who are invited are going to be THOSE WITH FAMILIES. Since the focus is on families, any potential new members of the congregation who do make my church their permanent 'church home' are most likely going to be families, since as I said, that's the focus. Most of the congregation at my church is made up of young families.

5. Overwhelming loneliness; I spend most of my time alone. The sad reality is if I don't initiate contact, I don't hear from people at my church. I don't have a problem initiating contact, it's when I am always doing it and it's never reciprocated that bothers me. Different people feel loved different ways; the way I feel loved is quality time and being served. Out of the all the people in my church, only 4 of them reach out and take enough of an interest in my life to help me.

6. Indifference with depression/mental illness.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Joined2krist

Musician4Jesus

Sep 7, 2006
✟11,215.00
Faith
Baptist

POST, CONTINUED:

The last thing is that my relationship with my mom is not good, and I don't think I will ever have a decent relationship with her. She loves and cares about me, and I love her, but I see brokenness in the relationship I have with her and it seems impossible that things will ever change. When I get into conflict with her, it's extremely frustrating as I am basically the scapegoat. From her perspective the reason we argue/source of the conflict is entirely my fault; she doesn't see that she is at fault, refuses to admit she is as much a source of the conflict as I am. She does all of the stuff you ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO DO with conflict (overgeneralizing, all-or-nothing thinking) deflecting, bringing stuff into the conflict that is completely irrelevant to the conflict at hand, and becomes extremely defensive. She twists stuff around into stuff I never said, and she accuses me of motives that weren't my motives. If I try to clarify to her, that those weren't my motives, and/or that's not what I said/not was I was thinking, if it's different than her view it is wrong. She was never taught good conflict resolution skills, and because she was taught poor conflict resolution skills, my conflict skills are horrible too (conflict resolution skills are things you learn, and I was never taught the right way to resolve conflict); unfortunately this is exacerbated and compounded for me, because I already have aspergers, and a huge problem people have with aspergers is poor interpersonal and communication skills. I am not blaming her for my depression, but in ways she is making it worse. She does notice some things that I do, but she seeems to focus far more on the things I do that irritate and anger her, then the things I do try to do for her. She fusses over me about everything I do (how I dress, what I cook, how much time I spend in the kitchen, how much space the food takes up in the kitchen, what I spend my money on, how I dress) and it drives me insane because I HATE being fussed over! I don't have a problem with her looking out for me/helping me, that's not my issue; it's when she overprotects me that drives me insane. I don't confide in her about everything, because I am an adult; but if I don't confide in her about everything/don't share every aspect of my life with her she gets annoyed with me. I realize she just wants to be a part of my life because she loves me, and I understand this, yet at the same time when she does this I feel like I am being treated like I am child. As much as I love my mom, I have an extremely difficult time relating her, because we have very different personalities and very different ways of doing things, and we don't even agree on why we disagree.

The last thing is regarding my depression. As I said, I went through emotional and verbal abuse; the reason I have most of the mental and emotional issues I do, is because of what happened to me as a kid. You can ask any psychologist and they will tell you if you go through any kind of abuse as a kid, esp. for an extended period of time, you're more likely to have issues as an adult mentally and emotionally. Christians say not to dwell on the past, but the reality is it's because of what happened in the past, it's effecting me today. I realize how I am thinking isn't healthy, but despite knowing this, I also don't know how not to think this way because although I know it's not healthy to think this way, since I've been thinking this way for so long, it's what has become normal to me so I don't know how NOT to think this way! Also it's not just stuff that has happened in the past that is causing my pain/sorrow/anger is not just relegated to stuff that has happened in the past, but also issues I am dealing with in the present (poor relationship with my mom, struggling financially due to being low-income, lack of fellowship, hate where I live, and aspergers which is CHRONIC)

I realize that by refusing to surrender this pain and sorrow, it's prolonging the pain and only exacerbating the things. However the reality is many of the things I went through (the emotional and verbal abuse, aspergers as a kid, the learning disability) I was not saved when any of those things happened, so since I had nothing to combat any of this stuff with since I didn't become saved until I was 17. By that point and time I had already been hearing all this stuff incessantly (worthless, loser, failure, stupid, ugly etc.) so my self-esteem and self-worth had both been destroyed. It was devastating to me going through that pain and sorrow the first time and I know in order to heal, pain and sorrow is going to be involved as part of the process, and I am very reluctant to surrender this stuff to God as a result.

In conclusion this is my post, Thanks to those who have taken the time to read it.

I don't expect those who don't have depression to fully understand, nor do I expect them and/or the church to 'be my therapist' however I'm not expecting them to do either. The only thing I ask is that the church makes the effort to attempt to understand depression, and sadly I don't see this happening. If you have a chronic form of depression, it can be manageable if you have support. When you can't openly talk about depression, when you have to bury your pain/sorrow/problems, when it's not taken seriously and/or not seen as a legitimate illness, when you get oversimplified solutions that don't work, and/or when you're rejected/ostracized and/or get stigma, none of these things are being supportive! Unfortunately depression can effect every aspect of your life if you have a more severe form of it.

Due to all the stuff mentioned in this post, I feel very broken, and not in a good way. I am constantly exhausted in every aspect, always stressed out and always worried/anxious. This stuff has built up over the course of decades, so I am also very angry, and in a lot of pain and sorrow; I feel forgotten and like I don't matter. I thought when I became saved, I'd find my place in the body of Christ, but I still feel like I am on the outside looking in. I am also angry with God; he knew that all the stuff I went through as a kid would cause devastating problems in my life as an adult. He knew I'd be born with a chronic mental problem that would effect every aspect of my life, and make it difficult, yet he still allowed it to happen anyway. I am not blaming Him, because I'm not saying it's His fault, I am saying he knew all this stuff would happen, and chose to allow it to happen anyway, that's part of Him being sovereign. I have been saved half my life (became saved when I was 17, 35 now) but I still don't know how to let God love me (yes I believe in salvation and have accepted what Christ did for me). I know God's word and promises in my head, but I have a very difficult time accepting these in my heart. I don't see how I am not just another face in the crowd to God the Father and Christ, because he loves everybody, died for everybody, and thinks everybody is special/unique.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
WARNING: I tried to just make this one post, but due to the post being so long the site, wouldn't let me. As a result, I had to make two posts to fit everything in. Sorry!

Like I said, it's a long post; there are many reasons why I feel this way, most of them go back 10-20 years.

Ever since I was a kid, I have felt like I've been on the outside looking in, that there's no place for me. That being said, there's a certain way you're expected to think and act that is considered normal (this varies depending on the culture; what's a normal and acceptable way of acting in one culture, might be considered NOT normal and acceptable in another culture, and vise versa).

I've always felt like I'm on the outside looking in and in most cultures, being different is almost always seen in a negative light.

Symptoms of Aspergers:

*Poor eye contact/difficulty making eye contact (didn't come naturally to me, had to learn it)
*Cannot read body language
*Difficulty interpreting sarcasm and/or when somebody is joking
*Voice modulation (too loud or too soft, cannot find happy medium- a normal tone of voice)
*Difficulty articulating a point; cannot just give a simple and straightfoward answer
*Bad with small talk;
*Difficulty forming and keeping friendships
*Bad with empathy.

*Difficulty with conversation. Tend to talk at people rather than to them.

*very literal with thinking (all-or-nothing thinking very common)

*Sensory issues, it's commonly referred to as sensory overload, and this is in regards to 5 senses. They can tolerate this to an extent but they have a threshold, but if their senses are overwhelmed they react adversely (yelling, kicking/hitting people/things, and/or completely shutting down). With food, foods with weird textures can cause issues; typically foods that are too sour and/or bitter, can create problems. With sounds, they don't like loud and repetitive noises. With touch, some may hate physical affection and/or not like certain textures (i.e. with clothes) and/or might not like clothes that are too tight fitting/restrictive. With sight, it's common to not like lights that are too bright.

It's very common for those with aspergers to also have depression too; low self-esteem and/or self-confidence, and self-hatred is also very common.

*Sadness
*Loss of interest in things you once enjoyed/loved (with hobbies)
*Withdrawal (isolating yourself from others/not socializing)
*Mood swings
*Becoming easily irritated/angry
*Change in appetite; eating too and/or too little
*Suicidal thoughts
*Anxiety
*Difficulty concentrating/focusing
*Sleeping too much (hypersomnia) and/or difficulty falling and staying asleep at night (insomnia)

Unfortunately mainstream Christian culture is not helping things with depression; you cannot openly talk about it, and stigma for having it is common. Many times it's not seen as a legitimate illness (that if you just pray hard enough/have enough faith, you wouldn't have it; that it's not depression, but demon possession; that because you have it, you're selfish). When people ask 'how are you' at church it's extremely frustrating to me, because typically they're not asking because they care, but to be polite. You're expected to bury your pain, sorrow, and/or problems.

Another thing that frustrates me regarding depression is oversimplified solutions that don’t work. Typical suggestions are...
*Go out and get fresh air and sunshine
*Exercise
*Volunteer/help others
*Take up a hobby you enjoy/do something you love
*Get a pet (less common)
*Socialize w friends/family
*Be thankful/have a positive attitude
*Find your joy and strength in God

The above suggestions while they alleviate depression, don't make it go away esp if the form you have is more severe and/or chronic.

Unfortunately being ostracized/rejected is very common if you have depression.Many Christians don't associate with those with depression (for lack of a better term) because they don't want to be patronizing to them. However it’s just as true that many Christians avoid those (saved or not) is because they just don’t want to deal w/them because it makes them feel uncomfortable/unpleasant. I hear incessantly at church, that we're supposed to love one another, and minister to those who are not pleasant and/or unloving to be around, but many times I don't see them practicing what they preach. This issue isn't just exclusive to my church, it's an issue with mainstream Christian culture as whole (at least in North America). There are certain ways that are considered acceptable to act and think; as long as adhere to those guidelines you're accepted/loved/ supported/receive time/help/attention. However if you don't you typically tend to be ostracized/stigma. If you are acknowledged it's typically negative attention (people trying to 'fix' you, playing the comparison game with problems, somebody has it worse off your problems mean nothing/aren't important, accused of whining/complaining for being real about pain/sorrow/problems because it's not nice like they want to hear).

The biggest reason what I just described angers and hurts me so much, is we’re supposed to emulate the love of Christ, and none of these things is what he would do! He wouldn’t

The next set of issues are problems I have seen with contemporary Christian culture as a whole, so the issues I am going to discuss, aren't just exclusive to my church; this is why I think 'going to a new church' wouldn't help. I am tired of the selfishness, the complacency, and the shallowness of mainstream Christian culture in North America. I am not saying all churches are like this, nor am I saying all Christians are like this, but these issues I am seeing are commonplace in contemporary mainstream Christian culture. The Bible says our life isn't our own, we live to love and serve God first, others second, and OUR needs/wants go last; the whole reason we exist is for God's pleasure and to worship Him. Real serving requires being inconvenienced, requires time/effort, being inconvenienced, and many times means doing stuff you don't want to do.

1.Being treated as a social club. Many times the only reason Christians go to church is for what they can get out of it; many times the only reason they worship is because it makes them feel good, but worship is not about us, it's about God.

2. Selfishness with serving. My pastor preaches incessantly how important it is to reach out and serve others, and how important it is to do outreach in the community. However 'outreach and serving' has become relegated to doing an outreach project once a month, and serving at church on Sundays. I don't see ministry/outreach to the community happening on a consistent basis. As I said many times Christians will only serve if

3 .Fellowship is non-existent, it's only relegated to church-oriented stuff (church on Sundays, and going to a Bible study), but I don't (at least not consistently) see it carrying over into real life.

4. Older singles (30+) being neglected; I don't think this intentional, but it's still happening.
The focus and emphasis is on ministering to those raising families, that's where all the time, effort, and resources go. No I haven't discussed this issue with my pastor, I see no point in doing so. He's made it quite clear that the vision for our church is ministering and to families. Since that's the target demographic for my church, any new people who are invited are going to be THOSE WITH FAMILIES. Since the focus is on families, any potential new members of the congregation who do make my church their permanent 'church home' are most likely going to be families, since as I said, that's the focus. Most of the congregation at my church is made up of young families.

5. Overwhelming loneliness; I spend most of my time alone. The sad reality is if I don't initiate contact, I don't hear from people at my church. I don't have a problem initiating contact, it's when I am always doing it and it's never reciprocated that bothers me. Different people feel loved different ways; the way I feel loved is quality time and being served. Out of the all the people in my church, only 4 of them reach out and take enough of an interest in my life to help me.

6. Indifference with depression/mental illness.
I hardly ever read long posts but i read yours. I dont have Aspergers but i understand being broken and sad, and having suicidal thoughts. I also understand what its like not to fit in and i have no place in this world. I can certainly understand those things today. About families being the focus of the church, the apostle Paul wasnt married and he wrote these words:

1 Corinthians 7:29-31 New International Version (NIV)
29 What I mean, brothers and sisters, is that the time is short. From now on those who have wives should live as if they do not; 30 those who mourn, as if they did not; those who are happy, as if they were not; those who buy something, as if it were not theirs to keep; 31 those who use the things of the world, as if not engrossed in them. For this world in its present form is passing away.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
POST, CONTINUED:

The last thing is that my relationship with my mom is not good, and I don't think I will ever have a decent relationship with her. She loves and cares about me, and I love her, but I see brokenness in the relationship I have with her and it seems impossible that things will ever change. When I get into conflict with her, it's extremely frustrating as I am basically the scapegoat. From her perspective the reason we argue/source of the conflict is entirely my fault; she doesn't see that she is at fault, refuses to admit she is as much a source of the conflict as I am. She does all of the stuff you ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO DO with conflict (overgeneralizing, all-or-nothing thinking) deflecting, bringing stuff into the conflict that is completely irrelevant to the conflict at hand, and becomes extremely defensive. She twists stuff around into stuff I never said, and she accuses me of motives that weren't my motives. If I try to clarify to her, that those weren't my motives, and/or that's not what I said/not was I was thinking, if it's different than her view it is wrong. She was never taught good conflict resolution skills, and because she was taught poor conflict resolution skills, my conflict skills are horrible too (conflict resolution skills are things you learn, and I was never taught the right way to resolve conflict); unfortunately this is exacerbated and compounded for me, because I already have aspergers, and a huge problem people have with aspergers is poor interpersonal and communication skills. I am not blaming her for my depression, but in ways she is making it worse. She does notice some things that I do, but she seeems to focus far more on the things I do that irritate and anger her, then the things I do try to do for her. She fusses over me about everything I do (how I dress, what I cook, how much time I spend in the kitchen, how much space the food takes up in the kitchen, what I spend my money on, how I dress) and it drives me insane because I HATE being fussed over! I don't have a problem with her looking out for me/helping me, that's not my issue; it's when she overprotects me that drives me insane. I don't confide in her about everything, because I am an adult; but if I don't confide in her about everything/don't share every aspect of my life with her she gets annoyed with me. I realize she just wants to be a part of my life because she loves me, and I understand this, yet at the same time when she does this I feel like I am being treated like I am child. As much as I love my mom, I have an extremely difficult time relating her, because we have very different personalities and very different ways of doing things, and we don't even agree on why we disagree.

The last thing is regarding my depression. As I said, I went through emotional and verbal abuse; the reason I have most of the mental and emotional issues I do, is because of what happened to me as a kid. You can ask any psychologist and they will tell you if you go through any kind of abuse as a kid, esp. for an extended period of time, you're more likely to have issues as an adult mentally and emotionally. Christians say not to dwell on the past, but the reality is it's because of what happened in the past, it's effecting me today. I realize how I am thinking isn't healthy, but despite knowing this, I also don't know how not to think this way because although I know it's not healthy to think this way, since I've been thinking this way for so long, it's what has become normal to me so I don't know how NOT to think this way! Also it's not just stuff that has happened in the past that is causing my pain/sorrow/anger is not just relegated to stuff that has happened in the past, but also issues I am dealing with in the present (poor relationship with my mom, struggling financially due to being low-income, lack of fellowship, hate where I live, and aspergers which is CHRONIC)

I realize that by refusing to surrender this pain and sorrow, it's prolonging the pain and only exacerbating the things. However the reality is many of the things I went through (the emotional and verbal abuse, aspergers as a kid, the learning disability) I was not saved when any of those things happened, so since I had nothing to combat any of this stuff with since I didn't become saved until I was 17. By that point and time I had already been hearing all this stuff incessantly (worthless, loser, failure, stupid, ugly etc.) so my self-esteem and self-worth had both been destroyed. It was devastating to me going through that pain and sorrow the first time and I know in order to heal, pain and sorrow is going to be involved as part of the process, and I am very reluctant to surrender this stuff to God as a result.

In conclusion this is my post, Thanks to those who have taken the time to read it.

I don't expect those who don't have depression to fully understand, nor do I expect them and/or the church to 'be my therapist' however I'm not expecting them to do either. The only thing I ask is that the church makes the effort to attempt to understand depression, and sadly I don't see this happening. If you have a chronic form of depression, it can be manageable if you have support. When you can't openly talk about depression, when you have to bury your pain/sorrow/problems, when it's not taken seriously and/or not seen as a legitimate illness, when you get oversimplified solutions that don't work, and/or when you're rejected/ostracized and/or get stigma, none of these things are being supportive! Unfortunately depression can effect every aspect of your life if you have a more severe form of it.

Due to all the stuff mentioned in this post, I feel very broken, and not in a good way. I am constantly exhausted in every aspect, always stressed out and always worried/anxious. This stuff has built up over the course of decades, so I am also very angry, and in a lot of pain and sorrow; I feel forgotten and like I don't matter. I thought when I became saved, I'd find my place in the body of Christ, but I still feel like I am on the outside looking in. I am also angry with God; he knew that all the stuff I went through as a kid would cause devastating problems in my life as an adult. He knew I'd be born with a chronic mental problem that would effect every aspect of my life, and make it difficult, yet he still allowed it to happen anyway. I am not blaming Him, because I'm not saying it's His fault, I am saying he knew all this stuff would happen, and chose to allow it to happen anyway, that's part of Him being sovereign. I have been saved half my life (became saved when I was 17, 35 now) but I still don't know how to let God love me (yes I believe in salvation and have accepted what Christ did for me). I know God's word and promises in my head, but I have a very difficult time accepting these in my heart. I don't see how I am not just another face in the crowd to God the Father and Christ, because he loves everybody, died for everybody, and thinks everybody is special/unique.

I thought when I became saved, I'd find my place in the body of Christ, but I still feel like I am on the outside looking in. I am also angry with God; he knew that all the stuff I went through as a kid would cause devastating problems in my life as an adult. He knew I'd be born with a chronic mental problem that would effect every aspect of my life, and make it difficult, yet he still allowed it to happen anyway.
Your post blessed me and i understand exactly what you mean. So that makes two of us who understand and so you're not alone. i dont have a church myself but find online fellowship helpful, such as your post which was edifying because i needed to hear from someone today who understands suffering. Some of us it seems are just different and its our burden. I was angry at God too but in the end i need Him.

Upvote 0

Joined2krist

Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
✟427,078.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I agree with your post, especially when you said 30+ singles don't get attention in Church, you're right on that. Well for me, I just have no choice but to make myself happy, I'm not waiting for other Christians to make me happy because I know that my happiness is more of a personal decision than anything else. In proverbs, it is written that "A merry heart does good as medicine" and those who have it, enjoy a continual feast. I do a lot of self talk, I suggest you start doing some too.

Upvote 0